997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sports mode problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
rcusick is on a distinguished road
Sports mode problem

So I've discovered a bug in the sports mode software. I think this has been referenced before but my situation is very specific. Want to ow if anyone has found a fix.

Car is 08 c2s with sports mode retrofit and pasm disabled. Every time I start the car I engage sports mode. However the car will not engage the sports mode ecu map unless I floor the car. Ie despite the sports mode light being on the car starts in normal mode. Weirdly when I floor the car to throw it into sports mode it then stays in sport mode despite my driving style (ie it doesnt revert to normal mode).

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Isn't that how the manual says to activate it?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
From what I have read that is the way to activate sport mode, however, that is not how my car acts, and sport mode is from the factory. As soon as I press the button I can feel the throttle response change, in fact the entire "attitude" of the car changes, and when I deactivate the mode the reverse happens. Both are immediate and this is on a 2008 Carrera S cab.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:16 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Op that doesnt seem normal to floor the car so the sport mode engages. Mine you start car push button it engages. Would only be the logic way. I cant imagine having to beat the car for it to engage lol

Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 AM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Sport Mode in my 2007 C2 works as described in the owner's manual. If Sport mode is switched on while driving, the gas pedal becomes more responsive only after briefly releasing the gas pedal. And, after the ignition is switched off, Sport mode is automatically reset to Normal mode. Sport mode isn't supposed to "revert to normal" based on your driving style.

Last edited by alpine-al; 12-16-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:29 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Op that doesnt seem normal to floor the car so the sport mode engages. Mine you start car push button it engages. Would only be the logic way. I cant imagine having to beat the car for it to engage lol
Thats the way mine works as well. However, according to the manual you are supposed to floor the pedal before the throttle logic will change. I do not believe this has to be done with the engine running. According to the manual, it appears the OPs car is working normally. The car should revert to normal after shutdown or after hitting the switch again.

You might want to check and see if you have the latest software update next time you are at the dealer/maintainer. I say this because there is obviously differences between the 2006 and 2007 manual.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 12-16-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rcusick
So I've discovered a bug in the sports mode software. I think this has been referenced before but my situation is very specific. Want to ow if anyone has found a fix.

Car is 08 c2s with sports mode retrofit and pasm disabled. Every time I start the car I engage sports mode. However the car will not engage the sports mode ecu map unless I floor the car. Ie despite the sports mode light being on the car starts in normal mode. Weirdly when I floor the car to throw it into sports mode it then stays in sport mode despite my driving style (ie it doesnt revert to normal mode).

Anyone else have this problem?
This is exactly how it is supposed to work: you either floor the pedal or release it to activate Sport Mode. And then it stays there for as long as you want.....

Yves

Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Intresting i start my car and push sport and as i roll out in first gear its already engaged 2006 c2s

Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Whooops i reread it you guys are talking about activating sport mode while driving i never tried that thought it would mess up the mechanicals. Makes sense about flooring it to engage it while driving

Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
rcusick is on a distinguished road
Things get wierder. Sport mode seems to engage immediately when I push the sport button AFTER the car is moving. Stopped by the dealer; there is something keeping the car from engaging sport mode with the sport button when initially starting the car. Will let you guys know.

By the way - the starting in normal mode really messes with the "car adaptations." The car thinks it is supposed to be in sport mode, but is in normal mode. So, adaptation never takes right (and seems to be readapting every time I switch to sport mode).

Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Dawgguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sport light, spoiler light come on but shock adjustment doesn’t

I just fixed another issue on my 06 911s. Instrument gauges wouldn’t work. Removed the battery leads and that reset the gauges. What didn’t come back was the pasm shock adjustment. The Sport light and spoiler light come on, but the spoiler doesn’t go down and suspension light doesn’t and suspension doesn’t change.

Any ideas. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:54 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dawgguy
I just fixed another issue on my 06 911s. Instrument gauges wouldn’t work. Removed the battery leads and that reset the gauges. What didn’t come back was the pasm shock adjustment. The Sport light and spoiler light come on, but the spoiler doesn’t go down and suspension light doesn’t and suspension doesn’t change.

Any ideas. Thanks.
Wow, bumping an 7 year old thread - that might be one for the record books.

Anyway, how old is your battery. If voltage is low these cars exhibit lots if weird behavior. If it's been sitting, charge it then do a disconnect (10 minutes) then reconnect. If it's old, replace it.

If the battery is charged and good, I've heard of these cars losing some settings gs about what equipment is installed and you'd need a Durametric Pro or a trip to the dealer to reenable those features in the modules, essentially telling the car it has PSE and PASM.

When fixing the gauges, did you do any work in the center console where you may have disturbed the wires going to both those switches since they're in the same place in the car?

Old 02-14-2018, 11:30 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
I have to rev the engine to 3K rpm to activate sport mode. I just do it as I drive normally. !st gear nearly always take me to 3K.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:14 AM
Dan Thomas - Ash is an unknown quantity at this point
Change the sport mode module and you ask just fine.