997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Has 20K Miles And Porsche Says I Need A New Engine??

Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT2911
I'm no expert but is this even possible? My speed at 5,000 rpm while in first gear is 30 mph. That means you would have to jam it from a higher gear into first gear at almost 60 mph.
What speed are you going when you try to shift into third gear? But if you mean would the transmission allow it, then the answer is yes.

Gary

Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by simsgw
What speed are you going when you try to shift into third gear? But if you mean would the transmission allow it, then the answer is yes.

Gary
Theoretically yes, since the manual unlike the PDK doesn't control shifts. But the way the synchro's work, I have difficulty pulling it down into first on the track from an appropriate speed unless I double clutch it. You must have to use brute force to just jam it into first doing that kind of speed. It's amazing that something else in the drivetrain didn't break too.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:35 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Theoretically yes, since the manual unlike the PDK doesn't control shifts. But the way the synchro's work, I have difficulty pulling it down into first on the track from an appropriate speed unless I double clutch it. You must have to use brute force to just jam it into first doing that kind of speed. It's amazing that something else in the drivetrain didn't break too.
I suppose they do. Notice I'm not the OP, although I have done that to a car. Only once in about sixty years of driving, but I have done it. Embarrassing mistake of course. Not to mention expensive.

Gary

Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM
jabed92694 will become famous soon enough
So question to the OP, what the latest on your car? Did you fix it and if so what was the damage??

Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Smile An amazing thread

Hey folks, new to the forum. Just purchased a CPO '09 997.2 C2. I've owned many MT cars over the years, and never heard the term, 'money shift'. Did the search on YouTube. Wow. And of course the comment 'you know less about shifting a MT than the average chick still has me laughing.' This thread was an amazing read. Thanks to all. Hope there is a final chapter. I'd like to know how this one ends.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by daberlin
Hey folks, new to the forum. Just purchased a CPO '09 997.2 C2. I've owned many MT cars over the years, and never heard the term, 'money shift'. Did the search on YouTube. Wow. And of course the comment 'you know less about shifting a MT than the average chick still has me laughing.' This thread was an amazing read. Thanks to all. Hope there is a final chapter. I'd like to know how this one ends.
"The Money Shift" is a Darwinian example of thinning the herd of idiots that have no business driving a manual transmission. Check the anthropological area of your local college library for further information on this.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I'm no expert but is this even possible? My speed at 5,000 rpm while in first gear is 30 mph. That means you would have to jam it from a higher gear into first gear at almost 60 mph.
Why do you say have to jam into first. You could hit very high rpms in fifth gear at high speeds and a missed downshift into second instead of 4th would be the dreaded money shift.

I simply can't see Porsche covering this type of failure with the DME that was shown earlier in this thread.

Driver Ed could have prevented. Possibly.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I was at my local dealrship today and there was a money shift 997.1 in one of the bays. The tech said it looked like he hit at least 10k.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by last911
"The Money Shift" is a Darwinian example of thinning the herd of idiots that have no business driving a manual transmission. Check the anthropological area of your local college library for further information on this.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 PM
SirClip is on a distinguished road
Hello Porsche People.

Hahaha, the power of Google. While searching for something else dealing with Porsche and blown engine this showed up in my search results. Just thought I would comment here with the rest of the story (that I know anyway). The car was towed out of my shop and off into the sunset, never to be seen or heard from again. Untill a few months ago a tech from a shop down the street came in to pick up some parts while I was in the parts department. He started asking about this car, after jogging my memory it clicked, he said he drilled the crank pin and replaced the pully and shipped the car.
The funniest thing (to me) reading back over this is the part where the op stated the Porsche dealer here is very small and going out of business. Well were still here!!!! Good night all!

Last edited by SirClip; 06-10-2015 at 09:03 PM.