6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   The Recession Finally Got Me - Part 2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/269436-recession-finally-got-me-part-2-a.html)

Vegasguy 03-04-2012 08:48 AM

The Recession Finally Got Me - Part 2

Some of you might remember my earlier post, within which I told about losing my job, and my ‘10 C2S Cab mostly just sat in the garage. I had it (new) since June, 2010, and was thinking about selling it. I was actually concerned that it couldn‘t be “good” for the car to just sit, and that it seemed like such a waste to try and think of somewhere to go just to drive it.
After reading the Forum members comments and suggestions, and thinking about it long and hard, I decided to sell the car back to the local dealer. I believe they offered a fair (dealer) price. I‘m well aware that I could have received several thousand more with a private sale. However, I’ve bought and sold a lot of cars over the years, and understood that there were just too many unknown variables in this price range. For example: how do you “vet“ a person that really only wants to “test drive“ your Porsche, or reliably ensure a private $90,000 transaction. Also, while it was a very beautiful and desirable car, there are not lot of buyers around in this price range, and it could have taken weeks, even months, to find an actual buyer (the dealer still has it). I watched internet websites such as AutoTrader and Ebay, and P-cars similar to mine are still for sale after several months. There was just too much to consider, or worry about. So I sold the Porsche back to the dealer, took my wife’s car, bought her a new 2012 Toyota Camry, and put the remaining $60,000 in the bank. Now, it doesn’t matter so much that I’m not working, and actually, I‘m beginning to “warm up” quite well to my forced retirement.
Do I miss my beautiful Porsche? Absolutely! Did I do the right thing? I believe so, but I suppose only time will tell.
Thanks again to all of the Forum members. You guys are great !!

MYC2SPC 03-04-2012 09:23 AM

Hope everything turns around for you soon and your back with another P-car!Good luck!

RaidersR1 03-04-2012 09:39 AM

You did the right thing...IMO. I financed my 07 4s last year for 5 years. Looking to have pink slip this year. Cash is king these days and maybe you can find a used pcar to have fun in retirement.

lowpue 03-04-2012 09:56 AM

Sorry to hear the outcome but sounds like the right thing for you to do. Good luck moving forward.

cavsct94 03-04-2012 10:58 AM

Looking forward to Part 3, where you start your own consulting company, rake in the fat cash, and go buy another one! In all seriousness, best of luck!

buck986 03-04-2012 11:02 AM

VG,

Enjoy your time with family and friends. There is more to life than a Porsche.

I wish you well. And all the best in the future.

int90 03-04-2012 03:28 PM

Smart move in a difficult situation. Best of luck moving forward.

cerbomark 03-04-2012 03:32 PM

True happiness is not found in material things. Best wishes to you.

JmanE55 03-04-2012 04:19 PM

VG,

You made the right choice mate, being able to adapt to your new surrounding is the hardest thing to do but Im sure you will be back with a new Porsche soon as the economy improves... (Hopefully). :)

RudyP 03-04-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vegasguy (Post 3474610)
Some of you might remember my earlier post, within which I told about losing my job, and my ‘10 C2S Cab mostly just sat in the garage. I had it (new) since June, 2010, and was thinking about selling it. I was actually concerned that it couldn‘t be “good” for the car to just sit, and that it seemed like such a waste to try and think of somewhere to go just to drive it.
After reading the Forum members comments and suggestions, and thinking about it long and hard, I decided to sell the car back to the local dealer. I believe they offered a fair (dealer) price. I‘m well aware that I could have received several thousand more with a private sale. However, I’ve bought and sold a lot of cars over the years, and understood that there were just too many unknown variables in this price range. For example: how do you “vet“ a person that really only wants to “test drive“ your Porsche, or reliably ensure a private $90,000 transaction. Also, while it was a very beautiful and desirable car, there are not lot of buyers around in this price range, and it could have taken weeks, even months, to find an actual buyer (the dealer still has it). I watched internet websites such as AutoTrader and Ebay, and P-cars similar to mine are still for sale after several months. There was just too much to consider, or worry about. So I sold the Porsche back to the dealer, took my wife’s car, bought her a new 2012 Toyota Camry, and put the remaining $60,000 in the bank. Now, it doesn’t matter so much that I’m not working, and actually, I‘m beginning to “warm up” quite well to my forced retirement.
Do I miss my beautiful Porsche? Absolutely! Did I do the right thing? I believe so, but I suppose only time will tell.
Thanks again to all of the Forum members. You guys are great !!

Ouch - that all sounds pretty darn awful. But good luck and I guess if it seems good to you, then that is all that matters.

jakesdad 03-04-2012 06:57 PM

Only you know if you made the correct choice... To me it sounds like you did. Cars are "a dime a dozen" or so they say..... These cars take a few more dimes to purchase but there is no shortage of them.... Always one to be had sometime, somewhere...
Good luck

When I was considering selling the Cobra the toughest thing was to turn the car over to someone to test drive. Even as I was sitting in the passenger seat it was very scary not knowing if the potential buyer could keep that car going in a straight line. It didn't have all the buttons to push so a computer could mend a mistake. I decided to trade the car rather than have someone kill me. You never know what the skill level of a potential buyer is no matter what they profess. I could have gotten another five thousand by selling it myself but trade was the prudent decision.

PorscheJoe 03-04-2012 08:15 PM

You can always get another car later. Good health & family are priceless & irreplaceable.
Best of luck to you.

stream41 03-06-2012 04:02 PM

There's a lot of merit in making a responsible financial decision like that. No reason you couldn't have another 911 in the future! My wife is pregnant and the 997 is our third car, so it's gotta go. I feel your pain!

capnollie 03-06-2012 04:43 PM

six years ago, i had a job where i made good money but was not real happy. i tried to tell myself that i was happy ... and i had a new maserati on order. i went to work one morning, got into it with my boss for whom i had no respect and came home that day without a job. obviously, i had to cancel the maserati order. I ended up having to move my family to another city just to take a job that paid less but it was a job and with kids in college, i couldn't last long without some income. my family stuck by me and encouraged me. i eventually got a much better job and then a much much better job. kids are out of college and i have a p car AND a maserati in the garage. so keep the faith man....you will come through this stronger and happier... and probably end up with nicer car though cars certainly aren't everything!

ScooterP 03-06-2012 05:49 PM

A good friend of my dad's who I grew up with just got told he has one year to live - stage 4 liver cancer. Material things and jobs are replaceable, so don't worry about it - take it as a challenge and move on. Good health and family / friends that support you are the golden things.

Good luck with it.