997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Alright ! I blew my engine and I need help. Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 PM
tunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of light
Alright ! I blew my engine and I need help. Please

I have 2006 997S and I just blew my engine at the track yesterday.
Hit rev limiter at 3rd gear sport mode is on and boom that's it.

Now motor is seated not moving even 1mm left or right. I have oil came out from the tail pipe. My mechanic said this is obviously major damage internal.
We haven't open it up yet.

There are a couple solution that I thought of. Please give me input.

1. Buy used motor and just swap the motor with no care what was going on in the blown motor. This solution I safe labor cost of tearing the old engine apart.

2. Take everything apart and see what happen. In this case I want to know if it possible to build the engine stronger or bore out the block. May be bigger forged piston and better rods if need but I want to keep the stock crack share if possible. I have seen bore kit even stroker kit but most of them that I found is for turbo engine. I haven't seen anyone built the 3.8 carrera S motor.
I call sharkwerks and talk to them about internal built and they said they haven't built Carrera motor. They did 3.9 997.1 GT3 motor. And he told me it might not worth the money trying to build this motor.

3. Have the engine rebuild. In this case it might cost more or less than first solution. But my mechanic said he wouldn't take risk do the rebuild. It most likely gonna cost more than swap motor, says mechanic.

Please advice me through this problem.
I want to have my car back strong to be able to beat in the track.
I don't get it at all though. Was this motor blown because I hit the rev limit ?

On Honda S2K that I used to track. Has more than 80k on the motor plus V-tec high revving and I hit the Rev limit all day long , grind the tranny , missed shifting etc. beated it all day. not a problem. Just a bad luck or what ?

Last edited by tunedgoody; 05-10-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
i cannot say what might have happened but hitting the rev limiter in 3rd would not be a reason...

to the more technically savvy people, such flames from the one tail pipe might mean something...

Stock ecu and rev limiter or tuned and higher rev limiter?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
marlon 997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you miss shift into 3rd, wanting to shift to 5th? Or did you down shift from 4th into 3rd, hitting the limiter? Seems like a proper shift and hitting the rev lim. wouldn't blow up an engine, would it?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear it. 3 guys blew engines at my last track event -- none of them 997's though.

If i were you i'd do some pricing around on refurbished or salvaged 997S motors and would lean that way over a rebuild.

Oh, and did you rebadge your Carrera as a GT3RS???

And how the heck did you catch the shooting flames on film??

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Doesn't that engine bay look like a RS?

Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry for your racing loss. Did you just buy this? Asked because you may have purchased a vehicle that was traded in, or purchased at auction, with known issues. A high-rev, down shift shouldn't cause that catastrophic blowout. No one can guess about your repair path. You'll have to get several bids on both options of rebuild and replacement. Pick the one that works for you. That's one reason I don't race mine. Too much money tied up in a very nice toy can go boom instantly on the track. Good luck. Who did your PPI? Did you have it inspected? I see you have dealer paper plates.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM
tunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by kouzman
i cannot say what might have happened but hitting the rev limiter in 3rd would not be a reason...

to the more technically savvy people, such flames from the one tail pipe might mean something...

Stock ecu and rev limiter or tuned and higher rev limiter?
Stock ECU X51header+Testpipe(catless) not Xpipe but cross over style+Borla Muffler+ IDP plenum +EvoMS CAI

Originally Posted by marlon 997
Did you miss shift into 3rd, wanting to shift to 5th? Or did you down shift from 4th into 3rd, hitting the limiter? Seems like a proper shift and hitting the rev lim. wouldn't blow up an engine, would it?
Not missed shifting anything just on third gear going in to turn and was concentrate on apex forgot to shift up to 4th and I hit Rev limit and boom.
That's why I wonder.

Originally Posted by KonaKai
Sorry to hear it. 3 guys blew engines at my last track event -- none of them 997's though.

If i were you i'd do some pricing around on refurbished or salvaged 997S motors and would lean that way over a rebuild.

Oh, and did you rebadge your Carrera as a GT3RS???

And how the heck did you catch the shooting flames on film??
I bought the car like this.

Originally Posted by gleek48
Doesn't that engine bay look like a RS?
It's not RS engine. It is Carrera S 3.8

Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
I would swap it, Search for a good motor out of a totaled car.
then sell off what parts you can from yours.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by tonka858
I would swap it, Search for a good motor out of a totaled car.
then sell off what parts you can from yours.
That's seem like the best solution now but I would spend more if I can have built motor that has more power and stronger.

I don't wanna keep blowing motor. I have really aggressive driving style in the track. This is made me wonder if I got bad luck or if Porsche motor is weak.

I track my 350z , Lotus , and STI and I drove them like I stole them from street. Redline shifting , heal and toe , late braking etc. I'm not just cursing around the track. I talk to couple P-car owner at the track yesterday and two guy said he never really seen anyone drove a porsche this hard. So it's might be me pushing the car too much?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Sorry for your racing loss. Did you just buy this? Asked because you may have purchased a vehicle that was traded in, or purchased at auction, with known issues. A high-rev, down shift shouldn't cause that catastrophic blowout. No one can guess about your repair path. You'll have to get several bids on both options of rebuild and replacement. Pick the one that works for you. That's one reason I don't race mine. Too much money tied up in a very nice toy can go boom instantly on the track. Good luck. Who did your PPI? Did you have it inspected? I see you have dealer paper plates.
I bought the car from private owner and I had the car did PPI at Porsche dealer. But PPI only check simple stuff. They not really run into compression or those internal stuff. I had it for couple months and change all fluid right after I bought this car. Changed water pump because it has a little play on it. Flush the brake and oils change more than the car even want to. So I don't know what really cause this problem.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Anyone has input regarding build up the motor such as a bore kit with better piston and rods ?
I'm actually really interested in Bore kit solution but can not find any source.

please....

Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
maybe there was something wrong with the tune... again, redlining with no shift, will hit the rev limiter. money shift is the only way to kill the engine. that's why we have rev limiter for up shifts...

Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
maybe there was something wrong with the tune... again, redlining with no shift, will hit the rev limiter. money shift is the only way to kill the engine. that's why we have rev limiter for up shifts...
I guess car might be running too lean due to the cat less pipes ?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Looking at the pic it looks like GT3RS badging on the rear? Is that right?

Matt

Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Looking at the pic it looks like GT3RS badging on the rear? Is that right?

Matt
It is just a rebadged. Engine is Carrera S 3.8

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alright ! I blew my engine and I need help. Please