6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   New to me 997S, extended warranty worth it? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/275352-new-me-997s-extended-warranty-worth.html)

micouremo 05-06-2012 07:57 PM

New to me 997S, extended warranty worth it?

Hey guys, New to the family this week.

Picked up an 06 997S. Came with turbo wheels, already swapped the rear with dectane, and front with rottec. Car is clean and will be my DD. (Won't track, and don't drive too crazy)

I've been searching in a bunch of different forums for info about the extended warranty and can't decide.

Went to the dealership yesterday and they'll at an additional 4yr/60K powertrain only warranty for ~$2500 (I believe through Fidelity)
Is this reasonable?
I've been reading all these horror stories about the IMS failure and really trying to decide if its worth it.

mark12345 05-06-2012 09:22 PM

>> I've been reading all these horror stories about the IMS failure and really trying to decide if its worth it.

I think you just answered your own question? :-)

denversteve 05-06-2012 09:59 PM

I have one and wouldn't leave home without it. I believe you could get a 5 year/ 100k mile addition for the same price. I use direct buy.

Katera 05-06-2012 10:08 PM

If all Porsche dealers would honor it, then yea.

keninirvine 05-06-2012 11:09 PM

Any dealer, including a Honda dealer, can sell you a Fidelity warranty for your Porsche. Fidelity doesn't care who sells it. I got different prices, but luckily my favorite dealer gave me the best discounted price. The Honda dealer was almost as good. Another Porsche dealer was higher. I suggest the Fidelity Platinum coverage. Price will vary depending on mileage etc. Also, best if purchased prior to expiration of an existing factory or CPO warranty.

neotorque 05-07-2012 10:20 AM

First of all, STOP reading horror stories about IMS. It happens, but it is so exceedingly rare that there is no point in thinking about it. It's like being a surfer who is obsessed with shark attacks.

Second, I have a Fidelity Warranty. I've never had to use mine, but I bought it through my dealer, who says he's never had an issue getting a claim paid, so nice to have. I bought the Platinum Warranty, FWIW. Your powertrain is pretty bulletproof, and it's nice to know that, as long as you're paying for it, you're covered for basically anything that goes wrong.

JTaylorGT 05-07-2012 06:23 PM

Guess I'm more of a risk taker than most on these forums - I bought my '05 C2S two months after the original warranty ran out, never bought an aftermarket warranty. After 3.5 years, the only thing that has happened that may have been covered (based on type of coverage) was a faulty alternator cable ($1200). These cars are very reliable and I think 9 out of 10 buyers of aftermarket warranties never make their money back. I guess if it helps you sleep at night, it's more than just the numbers...

sizquik 05-07-2012 06:47 PM

2 years in and mine has already paid for itself twice. It's a no-brainer.

JTaylorGT 05-07-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by sizquik (Post 3537545)
2 years in and mine has already paid for itself twice. It's a no-brainer.

What kind of coverage and what kind of failures did you have? Most won't cover routine maintenance 'wear and tear' items...

denversteve 05-07-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylorGT (Post 3537550)
What kind of coverage and what kind of failures did you have? Most won't cover routine maintenance 'wear and tear' items...

Some do and some don't. You have to pick your poison. Mine does not but it does cover everything else. That gives me peace-of-mind. I never get sick but I pay for health insurance - just in case.

sizquik 05-07-2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylorGT (Post 3537550)

I have an Exclusionary policy--covers just about everything except wear and tear items
Here's what's been replaced so far.
> New tpms sensors all the way around
> New coolant / expansion tank
> New PCM
> New Horn

micouremo 05-07-2012 10:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Im going to look into the platinum coverage and consider pricing. Seems silly to buy just the powertrain considering I'm at 24k and will probably keep the car another 3-4 years or 60-70k before upgrading (seems like everyone agrees the powertrain on these cars isn't usually a issue at low mileage). If the platinum is reasonable I'll go for that otherwise just set aside a little maintenance fund.

tunedgoody 05-08-2012 02:30 AM

get it. I just blew my engine with out having warranty. hilarious

sizquik 05-08-2012 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by tunedbygoody (Post 3537889)

You probably would have issues collecting since your car is not stock and it blew at the track. If you get a warranty, leave your car stock.

neotorque 05-08-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by tunedbygoody (Post 3537889)

If you want to collect on a warranty, it's probably not best practice to post photos and videos of you blowing the motor on a track :p

Good luck with your new engine.