997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car Sun shade...need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM
blazinginder is on a distinguished road
Talking Car Sun shade...need advice!

With summer coming around, I've been looking at some options for a sun shade for the car and can't seem to decide which one to go with...there's the covercraft/suncoast Porsche one, intro-Tech, tech-shade and others that I've looked into.

What brand do you guys use/recommend and where'd you buy it from?

Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 AM
No input?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I bought and use the one from the parts department of my dealership. Quite a bit stiffer (cardboard base or something) than the pure foil one we have for our suv. Cut to fit, awkward to store but will lay flat on the passenger floor well. Slides into a cover when out for winter storage. Makes a difference in the Houston heat.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
I bought the fold up hard version specifically cut for 911's. Was like $40 and comes in a nice case that says "Porsche" on it. It's big though, but I just keep it on the back seat under the windscreen. Fits perfect. Got it from Pelican parts I believe.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a tough call between the folding vs rolling up ones (both custom fit to the car)...Anyone have the rolling over the folding ones?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM
AC911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blazinginder
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a tough call between the folding vs rolling up ones (both custom fit to the car)...Anyone have the rolling over the folding ones?
I have a custom fit rolling one... it works fine but it's a pain to roll the shade after it sits in the sun for few hours... it gets pretty hot to hold and roll it.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
I have the OEM roll up kind in my Audi, and the OEM hard fold in the Porsche. I much prefer the hard fold. It fits better and will last alot longer.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Breizh is on a distinguished road
I use the TechShade from WeatherTech. Pricey but cut-to-fit and works rather well.

http://www.weathertech.com/product-e...ter/techshade/

Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
I prefer the ones that are two big circles of tent material that you twist to fold up....They are more compact so I just stuff it under the seat when I am not using it. The hard fold ones look better, but are hard to remove when a passenger gets in the car with you and are hard to store.

I also have started to tint my windshields with clear nano tint (Airblue or HuperOptik) and that has been great. Cuts the heat and glare so much, most times I don't even bother with the shade.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
gotta protect the leather dash.. =)

i have the custom-fit hard-material folding kind which i keep it in the frunk and use it if i park for hours.. (golf anyone ?)

i also have the circle/twist kind (see above) stored inside for short term parking in the sun since they are easier to keep in a convenient place (nudged between the passenger seat and center console, near the rear).

fyi, if i had to pick one, it would be the twist kind.. cheaper and more convenient.

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 05-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:35 PM
do the twist kind block out as much sun/UV as the others? also where can you buy those online?

Price aside, do you guys see a clear top sunshade?

Old 05-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Breizh
I use the TechShade from WeatherTech. Pricey but cut-to-fit and works rather well.

http://www.weathertech.com/product-e...ter/techshade/

I actually checked this one out on weathertech's site...how do you like it?...i saw that it has those suction cups (not a fan of those), do you have to use them?

Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
This is the one I have:

Amazon Amazon

It fits perfectly but it is bulky to store. Not an issue for me as I don't use my backseats and I just keep it on top of them <with them flipped down>.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Breizh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blazinginder
I actually checked this one out on weathertech's site...how do you like it?...i saw that it has those suction cups (not a fan of those), do you have to use them?
I've only had it for 2 months, and only used it 3-4 times so far. Perfect fit, not too bulky (as opposed to the folding hard types) so it is snap to install. I keep it in the trunk, since it is a bit unsightly when rolled up. I've had the same type for 2+ years for my Explorer and it is holding up quite nicely. It is softer than the hard type so the suction cups do help, but are not absolutely necessary. You could use the visors to help keep it in place, I would guess.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Katera
This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Carrera-Sun-Shade/dp/B001A5SSCQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

It fits perfectly but it is bulky to store. Not an issue for me as I don't use my backseats and I just keep it on top of them <with them flipped down>.

Thanks!... i see suncoast porsche sells it as well for $50 + shipping, will get it from there if I go that route, still unsure of which I should go with

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Sun shade...need advice!