997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Aerokit bumper and OZ ultraleggeras

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Boosted Josh is on a distinguished road
New Aerokit bumper and OZ ultraleggeras

My Aerokit front bumper saga started April 20th with an order from Suncoast.

Laurie with Suncoast was extremely helpful with both finding a great rate on the freight for the bumper but also with service after the sale.

When we unboxed the bumper at the body shop there was a ding/dent on the top edge of the bumper between the hood and the headlight. The body shop gave me an estimate to fix the flaw and all it took was an email with a picture of the damage and the estimate sent to Laurie and Suncoast made everything right. This was literally handled in less than a couple hours on that afternoon. I can't say enough good things about how the excellent customer service I received from Suncoast but also Laurie particularly.

The body shop I chose is the best one in my area. It is also certainly one of the most expensive but I wanted it done right and was willing to pay more to make sure it was. I've done business with this shop in the past and have always been very impressed with their work. If you have a high end car in my area and you need work done this is the shop you'd go.

I'm going to switch to (semi) cliffs here to outline the comedy of errors that took place.

I dropped the car and the bumper off on Thursday 4/26 and was told that it would be ready in the beginning of the next week.

Get a call the following Wednesday that it's almost ready but they need to paint the lip spoiler again because it got scuffed when they were mounting it. No big deal.

Go to pick it up the following week and they let me know that they've had a little problem and have scratched the bumper while putting the fog light back in and they will need to repaint the bumper. They are very apologetic and say that It'll be ready the following week. No big deal.

I get a call the next week that the bumper has been repainted but they scraped the lip spoiler pulling it out of building with the paint booth so they were going to have to paint that again but it'd be ready first thing next week. No big deal.

I get the call at the first of the week that the car is ready to be picked up. I'm pretty excited because I've been waiting for 3+ weeks now on it. My wife drops me off and before I pay I'm inspecting the car when I notice a scratch on the passenger side fender and a corresponding scratch on the drivers side headlight. I point this out to the manager and tell him we've got a big problem. He disappears (unknowingly to me he's looking the pics he took of the car when I dropped it off) and comes back a few minutes later and is very apologetic and embarrassed. He says they will fix it and I can take the car now or leave it. I call my wife and ask her to turn around and come get me because I'm not leaving with the car.

I wrote a 1000+ word letter to the owner expressing my displeasure with the experience and to let him know that even though I was calm throughout the ordeal that my demeanor should not be confused with complacency.

2 weeks later I do finally get the car back everything was fixed. They had to paint the passenger fender (which I'm not happy about since the car had not previous paint work), they were able to buff the scratch out of the headlight, they ended up having to paint the lip spoiler again since it got scraped again.

In the meantime my OZ's came in from the tirerack so I was able to get them mounted a couple days after I got the car back. They don't photograph well because the detail gets lost but they look amazing in person and really highlight the brakes.

Last edited by Boosted Josh; 06-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear about the hassle, but the car looks wayyy better! Congrats! I also have the aerokit front bumper and the OZ's.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I meant to say - look into black lugs. I think that will complete the look for the wheels...

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
I hope you ended up getting all this work done for free.
And if you ask me, that is not the bumper you bought. I am sure there was some other f**up that created the need to wait a couple of weeks!! I cant imagine a scratch taking a week to repaint.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jack667
I meant to say - look into black lugs. I think that will complete the look for the wheels...
That would finish it off nicely. I looked for some back when I ordered the wheels and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. What I did find was very expensive.

Originally Posted by dianic
I hope you ended up getting all this work done for free.
And if you ask me, that is not the bumper you bought. I am sure there was some other f**up that created the need to wait a couple of weeks!! I cant imagine a scratch taking a week to repaint.
The guy who was responsible for painting was also the guy who scratched it. The way the shop works is when someone gets an assignment they have X amount of time to complete it. Since he scratched it he was responsible for the time to repaint it.

The extra delay was because he had a beach vacation scheduled with his wife and kids. The shop called and he actually offered to cancel his trip so he could get the car back to me, but it didn't make sense to me to make him cancel his vacation, lose the money he paid for the hotel, make his wife mad, and mess up his kids vacation all for me to get the car back a couple days faster.

I did end up paying something but it was significantly less than what was originally agreed upon. They also put "rock guard" on the lip "free of charge" the 3rd time they painted it.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I painted my lugs. Cheap - get what you pay for - they need to be touched up often, but I'm still glad I did it.

I took two out per wheel at a time, put them into some holes in a box and sprayed the tops...

Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
Very nice.
We all have some weird body shop experiences. LOL Your car is even on stock suspension and they still hit your lip???

Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Not to take away from your story, but your "PREMIUM" body shop sounds like Maaco to me. Might want to take it somewhere else, I agree with the posts above, sounds fishy that they took 3 weeks for a few scratches. Might want to bring the car in for a paint test, god only knows what they resprayed. Rather you catch it now then when you go to sell and and get a nasty surprise. **Fingers crossed you don't find anything**

Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
Not to take away from your story, but your "PREMIUM" body shop sounds like Maaco to me. Might want to take it somewhere else, I agree with the posts above, sounds fishy that they took 3 weeks for a few scratches. Might want to bring the car in for a paint test, god only knows what they resprayed. Rather you catch it now then when you go to sell and and get a nasty surprise. **Fingers crossed you don't find anything**
LOL, they had me feeling like I should have gone to macco.

I've done business with them in the past and they are the only shop that has ever been able to deliver a car to me that was done right the first time.

This was a honest mistake (or couple mistakes)

They took responsibility for everything and made it right.

They would do well to repour that ramp, they admitted that mine wasn't the first to get scraped fresh out of the paint booth.

I'm pretty sure the owner is a PCA member too. The majority of their work is high end.

I'd also bet that since they knew my car is my 2nd car that it got pushed to the back.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Good to hear they took care of you. On a lighter side, the car looks awesome. Super jealous of that bumper, I want to pull the trigger sooooo bad!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 AM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
Aero kit looks great, any plans to add a wing?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
The car looks terrific - love the bumper and wheels!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
Good to hear they took care of you. On a lighter side, the car looks awesome. Super jealous of that bumper, I want to pull the trigger sooooo bad!
Thanks! I love it, I think it makes the car look so much more aggressive.

Originally Posted by spoddle
Aero kit looks great, any plans to add a wing?
No plans for the wing at the moment, but I'm going to let my fun fund recharge and we'll see. My next endeavor may be into the audio system, but I'm not sold on that yet.

Originally Posted by gonz996
The car looks terrific - love the bumper and wheels!
Thanks! The car has a completely different attitude now.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
The Aerokit front bumper looks really cool on your silver car, with the black spoiler lip.

I've been considering this mod, but my car is black, and I keep thinking my car will look like a bulldozer since there will be no contrast between the bumper and the lip. I feel like I would need some side skirts to balance out the heavier look in the front, but the only nice side skirts are the OEM GT2 ones, and they are only available for WB cars.

Anyway, this is a very nice look on your car, and thanks for the story and pics.