997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is my thinking flawed on an 05s 997 purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Is my thinking flawed on an 05s 997 purchase?

Been in the market for a 997 for quite some time now and here is what I came up with between everything I have read / heard from doing forum/online research.

Looking to pick up a 05 997s, 62k, all maintenance done, etc. Based on online ‘opinions’ it appears that 05’s have more IMS problems than 06/07 which leaves two options – LN replacement or extended warranty to not have that issue in the back of my mind. I understand that even the LN replacement is not a guarantee and the price is almost equivalent (maybe slightly less) to getting a 2-3 year Fidelity warranty and the warranty would cover other small/medium/large issues that might come up along the way - which would be important given the mileage and age of the vehicle. So what I would be getting is an almost guaranteed sleep safe/trouble free car (unexpected expenses wise) for 2-3 years for around 40k total including warranty and without having to mess around with LN retrofits while being fully protected against IMS total catastrophe. Yes I can potentially add the couple extra thousand dollars instead of warranty and get an 06 model which would still be plagued by much the same issues as the 05.

Is there anything I am missing or what it appears to me is that I would be buying almost an equivalent of a CPO / new Porsche but for less than half the price out the door and being a daily driver for the next few years depreciation of only anywhere from 5-8K when I plan on getting rid of this in 2 years with around 90K miles. Please advise if my thinking is flawed!

Last edited by socialpro; 07-01-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM
zippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud of
I thought IMS issues were N/A for the 997 and only applied to 996s. I have never heard of anyone having issues on a 997.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM
hyper911 will become famous soon enoughhyper911 will become famous soon enough
The 997 engine up to 09 is basically the same as the 3.6l m96 engine. All have the risk of failure. That said Porsche did improve the bearing over time. Not sure but I thought for 05 and up the relpacement bearing was more costly as you have to split the engine case - someone with more experience on older 997 can chime in.
buy the car enjoy itvor get an 09 plus to avoid the issue, the failure rate is very low.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
RickB will become famous soon enough
Hey, congrats on the decision to take the plunge.

I own a '05 997.1S and basically took the same route you are looking at. My car had 30K when I purchased it around 2 years ago; out of factory warranty so I too went with an aftermarket warranty solution for the peace of mind. Oh yeah, and remember, the 997S car has the 3.8 liter, not the 3.6. In any event, the percentage of IMS-related failures is statistically small. I would however, highly recommend that you have extensive documentation on the '05 your looking at...as service history is a must. You can research the forum to see some of the stories from members that have had problems.

My approach was to buy the car, make the mods I want, drive it and enjoy it, and if something does go wrong I’m covered. Let's face it, things go wrong. You could be driving a 991 and have some sort of unforeseen catastrophic failure. End of story.

Ultimately it's your call as to what level of risk you are comfortable with. Frankly, I believe they're all great engineered cars, and accept the fact that things do go wrong. If something does happen, take it to the shop and have it repaired like any other vehicle. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a Porsche though. I agree with hyper911, if it's the age that makes you nervous, get something newer to avoid this particular issue, with some factory warranty left.

Regardless of your decision, they're all great cars. Drive it like you stole it!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:58 PM
BT ZR1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zippsub9
I thought IMS issues were N/A for the 997 and only applied to 996s. I have never heard of anyone having issues on a 997.
Not correct, 05 to be sure seems to be the problem child for IMS failure. Only after 09 does the issue seem to have been resolved. I had an 05 with a fidelity warranty . I sold the car before the warranty expired as i did not want that car without warranty. I then bought an 03 Turbo. The turbo's have a different and smaller shaft which are not prone to failure and its a turbo

Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RickB
Hey, congrats on the decision to take the plunge.

I own a '05 997.1S and basically took the same route you are looking at. My car had 30K when I purchased it around 2 years ago; out of factory warranty so I too went with an aftermarket warranty solution for the peace of mind. Oh yeah, and remember, the 997S car has the 3.8 liter, not the 3.6. In any event, the percentage of IMS-related failures is statistically small. I would however, highly recommend that you have extensive documentation on the '05 your looking at...as service history is a must. You can research the forum to see some of the stories from members that have had problems.

My approach was to buy the car, make the mods I want, drive it and enjoy it, and if something does go wrong I’m covered. Let's face it, things go wrong. You could be driving a 991 and have some sort of unforeseen catastrophic failure. End of story.

Ultimately it's your call as to what level of risk you are comfortable with. Frankly, I believe they're all great engineered cars, and accept the fact that things do go wrong. If something does happen, take it to the shop and have it repaired like any other vehicle. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a Porsche though. I agree with hyper911, if it's the age that makes you nervous, get something newer to avoid this particular issue, with some factory warranty left.

Regardless of your decision, they're all great cars. Drive it like you stole it!!!
Thank you for your suggestions - I am looking at '05 as a financially better option to spending $20K+ more for the 08/09 on a nearly identical car which would still be carrying the warranty...and then on TOP of that I would have to take a much bigger depreciation plunge than if I were to buy the '05.

Seems like buying older...tagging on warranty and keeping the car for the 2 years I typically own high end cars for gives the best all around win/win approach. The car already took the significant depreciation so I would just be insuring myself against the 'unknowns' for a 'measly' 10% cost of the car (assuming warranty would run 3-4K) for the 2 years I would own it. Seems like a MUCH better financial reasoning than paying upwards of extra 20K on a 'newer' 997 and virtually getting the same car. By gauging members here experiences - also seems as well that Fidelity (warranty provider) comes through on jobs big and small and virtually with no issues getting it repaired through the Porsche dealership. Maybe it's not 100% CPO - but 90% close.

Im thinking going this route VS. getting an 08/09 would yield me an almost IDENTICAL car giving peace of mind (with warranty added on) package/body style/performance...but REDUCE my initial out of pocket cost ($40K Vs $60-65K) and REDUCE 2 year depreciation by nearly 50% at least (Tops $10K on the '05 Vs at least $20K on the '08/'09).

I know a lot of people on this forum advocate to buy the newest car you can afford, get it CPO, etc etc...but I believe going with an 'older' 997 and tagging on the warranty is a much better financial decision (assuming keeping car for 2 years again) which avoids all 'catastrophic' incidents issues mentioned through these forums, even if they are potentially very very rare. Yes - I can stretch my budget to get the '06-'07 but whats the POINT when I would still have to add on warranty to avoid potentially big unwanted expenses no matter the mileage or how well the car has been 'taken care' of previously.

RickB - how have your experiences been with an aftermarket warranty and who is your provider?

Last edited by socialpro; 07-01-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
RickB will become famous soon enough
I went with Century Warranty Services through Costco. It basically covers everything (short exclusion list) with a $100 deductible and they had the best competitive rate. My dealer was familiar with them, which also gave me a comfort level.

The potential catch for the car you're looking at may be mileage. Some vendors have maximums -OR- big increases after a certain amount, so shop around. I also have Fidelity on a '05 Mini Cooper S I have (my daily driver).

So far (knock on wood...) no claims for either.

The only other thing I forgot to mention is the PPI. It's a must, and that will also tell you if there are any signs of impending doom.

Best of luck my friend!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Socialpro, I too bought a 2005 in order to get into the newest Porsche I could reasonably afford and my initial reaction would be to tell you to have the IMS retrofit (approx. $1100) and skip the more expensive aftermarket warranty because these cars are very reliable. However, my car had quite a bit less miles than yours and isn't a DD, so I think your analysis is valid. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Taxi!
Socialpro, I too bought a 2005 in order to get into the newest Porsche I could reasonably afford and my initial reaction would be to tell you to have the IMS retrofit (approx. $1100) and skip the more expensive aftermarket warranty because these cars are very reliable. However, my car had quite a bit less miles than yours and isn't a DD, so I think your analysis is valid. Good luck.
Yes - I would consider doing only IMS if this was parked in the garage all of the time but Im looking at putting on between 25-30K miles in the next 2 years and feel that paying the $2-3K over what it would cost just to do the IMS is well worth the extra peace of mind of having full coverage warranty on a DD 7 year old porsche - and It appears that the IMS upgrade is not 100% bulletproof either.

So I guess the question on hand is whether to go sink the extra $3-4K difference on an '06 997 with ~ say 50K miles (no warranty) or get the '05 with the 62k but FULL warranty for two years. Going the '05 route seems almost like a no brainer to me ?? $3-4K warranty sounds reasonable for a car that was 90-100K originally, getting a car that is nearly identically 'protected' as a $70K '09 CPO porsche (that will tank in value in the next 2 years), AND totally crosses off ANY financial implications due to huge catastrophic occurrences that might come up along the way. YES a PPI will be done if I go with the '05 option -- but it almost seems like it would have even 'less' of an impact to get the car examined and trust/dont trust the opinion of the mechanic if I add on warranty...

It is also NICE to hear of other members here who chose to go the route of 'older' 997 and tack on aftermarket warranty. Id like to hear more of those experiences. A LOT of opinions on these threads mention STRONGLY to stay away from '05-08s (particularly 05's) due to IMS / first year release issue / ticking 'time bomb' comments etc. And yes I would agree that a Porsche (or any german car for that matter), no matter the 'year', over 60K miles will probably have issues starting around that age. It seems a lot of that worry or concern or even what seems like 'internet hype' is taken care of with an extended warranty where you dont have to think twice - and I would get to keep large chunks of cash in the pocket by now splurging on the '09+ IMS free models.

My opinion is there is not anything wrong to buying an 05-08 porsches as long as one is not ignorant to what issues/problems can accrue and protect themselves as needed with the option of LN retrofit (on 05s), or going with the warranty option on those years...which in almost ALL of the cases will be way less total out of pocket $$ than the price of CPO and/or original warantee '08+ cars. If one is concerned with the IMS which the internet has hyped up very well with 'occurrences and inevitable-ness' around all of the porsche forums it seems like the extended warranty is a great option to soothe the mind. If somebody cannot 'self insure' taking a potential loss of $20K to replace the engine or spend an 'extra' 10-15% of car cost up front to be covered with a warantee - maybe the Porsche isn't the right car for them and I feel no 'pity' for the ones who have experienced IMS failures and go on to whine about it. The internet and these forums explain the issue surrounding it very well and each individual needs to face and account in the risks when making ANY purchase or decision - be it a Porsche, a House, a Business or a College Education in their selected major.

Case in point - my current DD 335i has been at the dealers twice already for the fuel pump and it did not bother me one bit...why? Because the car has been under warantee and my out of pocket on this 'insurmountable' talked all over bmw issue has been $0 both times. In fact Ive been happy to take the car to the dealer if for nothing else then the free car wash.

Last edited by socialpro; 07-01-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM
MileHiGolfer is on a distinguished road
Thread resurrection: What did you end up doing? I've been lurking and researching 997s. I like and agree with your reasoning, though I may target an 06.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM
I ended up passing on the high mileage 05s as the car was going to be my dd and the higher mileage and maintenance associated with that scared me off. Also the forum 'consensus' was that 05s were the most issue ridden with IMS.

About a month ago I came across a pristine 06 non-s with only 25k miles that just came out of CPO with all service records etc. In the end I decided to take a 'newer' non-s than a higher mileage older S because to me driving both especially for city driving did not present much difference in itself and price wise they were about in the same bracket. I finally bit the bullet on the low mileage one right after seeing it and have been in enjoying it for close to a month now with no issues! I am going to pass on the warranty for now, as the IMS is not as big of a concern to me on the 06 and up models. Hope this helps you out and so far I have been very happy with my decision. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by socialpro; 09-28-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the quick reply - sounds like you did exactly what I'm hoping to do soon. Did you post pics and details of what you got? I'd of course be interested in what you paid as well but would understand if you didn't want to divulge that.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM
I will do a new write up soon on car / pictures when I get a moment as well as describe my experience with the car along with differences encountered between that and my previous cars (latest being a 335i).

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Sounds good - looking forward to it. I tried to reply to your PM but can't until 15 posts. I drive a 535 now, and will likely start a thread about my search as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm in the same boat as you now, sadly selling my 2002 (really dont want to) and now gonna look for a 2005-2006 ps: i dont think 05 has more ims issues than 06..also IMS issue i think is blown out of proportion, however i did get the ims LN upgrade on my 02"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is my thinking flawed on an 05s 997 purchase?