6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Good Tint Job and Upholstry Repair Recommendations for Bay Area, CA (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/284625-good-tint-job-upholstry-repair-recommendations-bay-area-ca.html)

vg247 08-22-2012 12:27 AM

Good Tint Job and Upholstry Repair Recommendations for Bay Area, CA

Hi enthusiasts..

I'm in the Santa Clara, CA -Bay area and would like some suggestion where I can get a nice tint job on my 997.2 (and going price for 5 windows)..

Also my car has heated/vented perforated seat leather and has a puncture scratch from possibly a key jab in addition the rear seat panels being indented and wrickled as result..any confirmable good places out there that can do this job?

Thanks for your feedback

djantlive 08-22-2012 01:36 AM

try using some leather conditioner on the scratch. if that's not satisfactory, a leather repair shop will basically sand it, spray some dye on it. the indent can be removed with a heat gun or hair dyer on hot setting. there are mobile repair for upholstery. do a google and you'll find a few. if you need to replace leather, i recommend palo alto upholstery.

for tint, i recommend omega werks. they are in pleasanton though. ask for vincent and let him know the orange lambo guy sent you there. i hear mr tint in sj is popular but i never tried them. you may not want to tint the front windows as cops will pull you over for that.

cairo94507 08-22-2012 07:24 AM

I love Rocky Mountain Window Tinting in Livermore. 925.373.2577. Matt the owner and sole employee, does all of the work himself and is a perfectionist. He has done my last three or four cars and I will not go anywhere else.

vg247 08-22-2012 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by djantlive (Post 3622213)
try using some leather conditioner on the scratch. if that's not satisfactory, a leather repair shop will basically sand it, spray some dye on it. the indent can be removed with a heat gun or hair dyer on hot setting. there are mobile repair for upholstery. do a google and you'll find a few. if you need to replace leather, i recommend palo alto upholstery.

for tint, i recommend omega werks. they are in pleasanton though. ask for vincent and let him know the orange lambo guy sent you there. i hear mr tint in sj is popular but i never tried them. you may not want to tint the front windows as cops will pull you over for that.

Thanks djant! I tried leather conditioner and to no avail on the scratches and other "indentations on the leathers in the rear panels" (crease like)

On the hole in the leather from a key, there's still a flap of leather there- just was wondering if it's something patchable'. My google came up only with JS Interiors and Rim Repair, nothing else and I like to see if any one here had some experiences repairing their leather of the sort,etc. I'll try Palo Alto Upholstery and see what they say.

I'll may try Mr Tint as they're closer to me and saw great reviews on Yelp. Thanks again

vg247 08-22-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by cairo94507 (Post 3622291)
I love Rocky Mountain Window Tinting in Livermore. 925.373.2577. Matt the owner and sole employee, does all of the work himself and is a perfectionist. He has done my last three or four cars and I will not go anywhere else.

Thanks cairo..

djantlive 08-22-2012 10:49 AM

for mobile upholstery repair, try this guy

http://www.fibrenew.com/silicon_valley/

they can patch the leather with filler, spray dye over the section to hide it. it won't be 100% but close. it's usually about $100-200 for repairs.

Tcc1999 08-22-2012 11:03 AM

PremierMobile (in Fremont) offers tinting and does a very nice job (multiple shades to fit whatever you desire). They are, however, rather pricey but the only complaints I've ever heard about their work is the cost and never the quality. I've only purchased clear bras from them (totally satisfied) but a friend had his A5 tinted there and it came out beautifully (to my uneducated eye).

vg247 08-22-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by djantlive (Post 3622449)
for mobile upholstery repair, try this guy

http://www.fibrenew.com/silicon_valley/

they can patch the leather with filler, spray dye over the section to hide it. it won't be 100% but close. it's usually about $100-200 for repairs.

Many thanks again djant- do you happen to know if the spray dye rubs off over time? As it's right on my driver's seat- I want to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good in the long run, ending up with a "mixed-matched" color scheme from original leather vs the patched/dyed area.

The tear is not a big deal at the moment but I am concerned it may "run" to become bigger, and it's a sore sight to my eyes ;-)

vg247 08-22-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tcc1999 (Post 3622465)
PremierMobile (in Fremont) offers tinting and does a very nice job (multiple shades to fit whatever you desire). They are, however, rather pricey but the only complaints I've ever heard about their work is the cost and never the quality. I've only purchased clear bras from them (totally satisfied) but a friend had his A5 tinted there and it came out beautifully (to my uneducated eye).

Awesome Tcc, thanks for the recommendation..will research them among my options- I rather have the job done nice and pay the price, no doubt!

On the topic of clear bra's - may I ask what areas you had done on your 911 and the cost? I was also exploring to do this and hesitated because of the horror stories about the film "yellowing" and also concerned that the film makes the car not so shiny, etc...your feedback and experiences with this are most appreciated!

djantlive 08-22-2012 07:26 PM

Dye won't rub off as long as it is allowed to dry and cure.

Premier is good but quality isn't cheap. I went to omega weeks because their price is more within my budget and they do tint and clear bra.

Yellowing doesnt happen much these days but these things aren't forever. Depending on exposure to elements, you can expect at least 5 to 10 years of life.

Tcc1999 08-22-2012 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by vg247 (Post 3622766)
Awesome Tcc, thanks for the recommendation..will research them among my options- I rather have the job done nice and pay the price, no doubt!

On the topic of clear bra's - may I ask what areas you had done on your 911 and the cost? I was also exploring to do this and hesitated because of the horror stories about the film "yellowing" and also concerned that the film makes the car not so shiny, etc...your feedback and experiences with this are most appreciated!

On the two 911s that Iive had done at Premier both had half hood and fenders, mirrors, light and front grill. This is the kit option and I think it cost about $1k. There are less expensive options but they do a great job, do a lot of massively high end cars and stand behind their work. For me, since they came recommended, and the second time I was familiar with their work, the few hundred I could have saved wasn't worth the risk of an unknown quantity.

In terms of yellowing, well, I had a yellow 911 the first time so I don't know. Currently, I've only had the film on for a year. Both my cars have been non-metallic and I've noticed no difference in shine. In fact, I was showing a friend my car and he had just bought a 997.2 Turbo. He was sort of ragging on clear bras and how the seams show. He was dumbfounded when I told him mines had a clear bra.

The bra works fine for little abrasions. What I think you'll find is that people love them or hate them. All I know is that an M3 I had was brutally chipped and had no clear bra. When I got my first 911 I put a clear bra on it. Same driving, same roads and when I sold it there were only a few very tiny nicks, many of which didn't even penetrate the bra.

vg247 08-23-2012 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tcc1999 (Post 3623043)
On the two 911s that Iive had done at Premier both had half hood and fenders, mirrors, light and front grill. This is the kit option and I think it cost about $1k. There are less expensive options but they do a great job, do a lot of massively high end cars and stand behind their work. For me, since they came recommended, and the second time I was familiar with their work, the few hundred I could have saved wasn't worth the risk of an unknown quantity.

In terms of yellowing, well, I had a yellow 911 the first time so I don't know. Currently, I've only had the film on for a year. Both my cars have been non-metallic and I've noticed no difference in shine. In fact, I was showing a friend my car and he had just bought a 997.2 Turbo. He was sort of ragging on clear bras and how the seams show. He was dumbfounded when I told him mines had a clear bra.

Tcc, thank you. They quoted me over the phone

The bra works fine for little abrasions. What I think you'll find is that people love them or hate them. All I know is that an M3 I had was brutally chipped and had no clear bra. When I got my first 911 I put a clear bra on it. Same driving, same roads and when I sold it there were only a few very tiny nicks, many of which didn't even penetrate the bra.

Tcc, thank you.They quoted me over the phone $2100-2300 depending on kit or custom install to cover my entire hood, and front quarter panels with bumper on my 997.2 . They seem like the place to go, however, price was way over compared to yours?

Tcc1999 08-23-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by vg247 (Post 3623106)
Tcc, thank you.They quoted me over the phone $2100-2300 depending on kit or custom install to cover my entire hood, and front quarter panels with bumper on my 997.2 . They seem like the place to go, however, price was way over compared to yours?

I only had a half hood and half fender film. Again, to be totally honest, the seams never bothered me and when polishing they just require a little extra care so as to avoid polish build-up. The seams drive some people to distraction which is why they may opt for the full hood and fenders. (And it's not like I'm that easy going b/c on my current car I paid stupid money to get the headlight washers painted to match the car color because those plastic/chromed standard ones just screamed at me every time I looked at my old 997.1.) But in terms of protection, in driving with a clear bra for five years I've never had a chip above the half hood or fender coverage.

Also, and I'm guessing here, a full hood and fenders may be a custom application and not a kit which would drive the price up.

Good luck with whatever you choose. (I did read a thread once, either on this forum or another one, about pulling up the clear coat when removing a clear bra. One poster commented on how you pay for the expertise of the installation and not the actual film. I have no idea if that is true or not but I'd like to believe it is - if for no other reason than to justify/rationalize paying more for my clear bra!)

vg247 08-23-2012 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tcc1999 (Post 3623428)
I only had a half hood and half fender film. Again, to be totally honest, the seams never bothered me and when polishing they just require a little extra care so as to avoid polish build-up. The seams drive some people to distraction which is why they may opt for the full hood and fenders. (And it's not like I'm that easy going b/c on my current car I paid stupid money to get the headlight washers painted to match the car color because those plastic/chromed standard ones just screamed at me every time I looked at my old 997.1.) But in terms of protection, in driving with a clear bra for five years I've never had a chip above the half hood or fender coverage.

Also, and I'm guessing here, a full hood and fenders may be a custom application and not a kit which would drive the price up.

Good luck with whatever you choose. (I did read a thread once, either on this forum or another one, about pulling up the clear coat when removing a clear bra. One poster commented on how you pay for the expertise of the installation and not the actual film. I have no idea if that is true or not but I'd like to believe it is - if for no other reason than to justify/rationalize paying more for my clear bra!)

Many thanks again for your throrough feedback and thoughts on this:cool: Let me think about the rationale going either way - the thought about pulling out the clear coat when the clear bra is removed IS scary as well..

vg247 08-23-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by djantlive (Post 3622903)
Dye won't rub off as long as it is allowed to dry and cure.

Premier is good but quality isn't cheap. I went to omega weeks because their price is more within my budget and they do tint and clear bra.

Yellowing doesnt happen much these days but these things aren't forever. Depending on exposure to elements, you can expect at least 5 to 10 years of life.

Appreciate the insight here on the dye and review of Omega djant! Premier, sure does charge a premium price alright:eek: What areas did you get the clear bra done on your car and can you share the pricing, etc?

I'm assuming you're totally happy with the work done to date? I'm trying to make the best informed decision and also based on your experts reviews here...Mr Tint is the wildcard --we only all heard rave reviews about and never experienced re. their Tint job (I saw they also do the clear car bras).