997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

IPD plenum--effect on Engine smoothness and PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 AM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
IPD plenum--effect on Engine smoothness and PDK

I have a 2009 997.2 C2S launch car. I've had the latest pdk updates, etc.
My only mod had been the Center muffler bypass (AWE). Nice improvement....
I just got the IPD plenum.. The improved engine performance is great-- VERY noticible at all RPM's...
However, the biggest improvement is the smoothness of the PDK!!! NO hesitation or jerks on cold start up, faster shifts, and now, virtually NO rough 2 to 1 downshifts!. I can now drive in stop and go traffic in SPORT AUTO pdk mode with NO jerkiness...

Why would this improve so much??? I am convinced that the restrictive airflow really put a damper on this engine's potential (thus the improved airflow for the GTS). But I'm still trying to figure out why my PDK is SO much better and smoother now! It's now almost as smooth the pdk in the 991! Even in downshift! Any ideas???

Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Did they disconnect the battery for the IPD install? Perhaps the "unplug it" method of electronic resetting was in order.

Any pics of IPD? Did you install it?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 AM
650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
Why would this improve so much??? I am convinced that the restrictive airflow really put a damper on this engine's potential (thus the improved airflow for the GTS). But I'm still trying to figure out why my PDK is SO much better and smoother now! It's now almost as smooth the pdk in the 991! Even in downshift! Any ideas???
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the plenum on the GTS is the same as a 997.2 S.

Regardless, nice to hear about your improvements. Can anyone else weigh in on this mod?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
No reason to disco the battery for an IPD install, at least on an 06.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
No, the Plenum on the GTS is completely different--totally re-worked.
The battery WAS disconnected. So, yes, the re-set must have occurred. The car and PDK must have loved the improved airflow enough to make the pdk now smooth as silk.
Honestly, this is the way it should have been stock.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM
650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold650kid is a splendid one to behold
I actually think they are the same. This is the power kit from Porsche for a .2 C2S

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997238per

Different intake manifold, but I think the plenum is still the same.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 PM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 650kid
I actually think they are the same. This is the power kit from Porsche for a .2 C2S

Different intake manifold, but I think the plenum is still the same.
I don't claim to know about the 997.2 X51 kit, but I do know that the 997.1 X51 kit includes an 82mm GT3 throttle body that replaces the stock 74mm TB. The 82mm TB requires a larger diameter plenum opening as well as a larger hose to the air intake. If the 997.2 GTS has the 82mm TB, then the GTS plenum will be different from the standard 3.8L plenum.

Last edited by alpine-al; 08-24-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 AM
Equinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to behold
The GTS utilized the X51 powerkit per a Porsche assoc. I talked to at a car show when the GTS came out. The GTS has the C2S DFI motor from the GenII cars, and the X51 powerkit, hence the 408 hp.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I've been thinking about getting the IDP mod, but didn't know if there really would be an improvement in performance. I've heard both sides of the argument for this mod.....the cost for the part keeps me from getting it done.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hockeyguy4u
I have a 2009 997.2 C2S launch car. I've had the latest pdk updates, etc.
My only mod had been the Center muffler bypass (AWE). Nice improvement....
I just got the IPD plenum.. The improved engine performance is great-- VERY noticible at all RPM's...
However, the biggest improvement is the smoothness of the PDK!!! NO hesitation or jerks on cold start up, faster shifts, and now, virtually NO rough 2 to 1 downshifts!. I can now drive in stop and go traffic in SPORT AUTO pdk mode with NO jerkiness...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the performance from the 997.2 DFI IPD Plenum. We never advertize the "smoother" shifting but we hear it all the time from customers, both with .2 and .1 PDK applications. Thanks for all the feedback.

Cheers,

Greg

Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Greg,
Is the plenum upgrade for my GTS the same as a 997.2S? See the above discussion. I'm just curious about the affect it would have on my car vs an S

Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I'm waiting for my 82 mm competition plenum and throttlebody, upgrading from the 74mm origional which I found a good improvement over oem. I'll post what I find. Fingers crossed. Thanks Greg

Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM
pam1115 is on a distinguished road
I am new to car mods, especially on Porsche. Just asking, if it is the v-shape that makes the key difference, wouldn't this one from Fabspeed be a "better" choice given it is a more complete intake system and its lower price at $695?

http://www.fabspeed.com/carrera2009_12.html

http://www.fabspeed.com/carrera_2009.html

http://www.fabspeed.com/dyno3.html

Last edited by pam1115; 08-29-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pam1115
I am new to car mods, especially on Porsche. Just asking, if it is the v-shape that makes the key difference, wouldn't this one from Fabspeed be a "better" choice given it is a more complete intake system and its lower price at $695?

http://www.fabspeed.com/carrera2009_12.html

http://www.fabspeed.com/carrera_2009.html

http://www.fabspeed.com/dyno3.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGl5ruZP6c
Don't confuse the air intake/filter assembly with the intake plenum. The plenum distributes the intake air to the left/right engine banks and is downstream from the air filter assembly. The air intake/filter assembly's (stock or aftermarket) job is to clean and filter the incoming air. Between the two items is the throttle body, which controls the amount of ingested air. Three different parts, but all part of the complete intake system.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:37 AM
ncracing72 is on a distinguished road
PTParks -
Could you send me the name of who did your gundo hack in Raleigh? I tired to PM you but apparently don't have enough posts. Sorry for misguiding this thread...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD plenum--effect on Engine smoothness and PDK