997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rear shelf dis-assembly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Rear shelf dis-assembly?

I've developed a rattle from the rear shelf of my coupe. From what I can determine it may be right below the rear window. I'll get in there to find out. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get in there? Can someone that has disassembled the rear parcel shelf give me some pointers? If you have pictures it would be awesome, but I'll take what I can get...Thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 AM
johnnyb2016 is on a distinguished road
Have just put my 997 back together after retro fitting PSE wiring from engine bay to DME.
It's major surgery!!
You'll need to remove the rear seat back and base on the side you are working on, remove the striker pin for the seat too. If you have bose remove the two surrounds, the two screws and pull the sub forward. Relaese the cable from the back and get it out of the way too. Peel the door frame seal away in the area of the 1/4 panel. If you look into the slot that the seat belt comes out of, at the back towards the rear of the car you will see a screw, this needs to come out. There is a clip between the 1/4 trim and the B pillar seatbelt trim that will move, or you have the option of removing the seat belt height adjuster and trim. With the door seal out of the way, carefully put your fingers behind the 1/4 trim and give it a sharp tug to release the clip on the leading edge, from memory there are about 4 clips it total that need to be pulled out.
I'f I'm honest, there isn't a lot except sound deadening behind there.

If I can help further, just ask.
Sorry I didn't take any pics when mine was in bits.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
From the diagram below, which part are you trying to remove?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
JohnnyB2016 - thanks for the instructions, it looks a lot more involved than I had imagined. I guess I have to carve out a few hours to try to get at it.

Alpine-Al - thanks for the diagram you also gave me on Renntech. I think it's number 1. But I'll have to see when I can get in there and see for sure. I think there may be a broken clip or bracket back there. It rattles over undulating roads but on smooth roads it's fine.

Thanks guys!