997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Valentine 1 with Savy interfering with AM radio.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 PM
jsimon77 is on a distinguished road
Valentine 1 with Savy interfering with AM radio.

I got a valentine one with Savy for my 997.2 I have it wired up the window coming out near the rear view mirror. Recently I have been having AM interference. It's a constant AM signal drone that has been driving me crazy. Today on my drive I wondered if it had to do with my V1.

I unplugged the wire from the V1 and the interference was still there. I pulled the Savy out of the OBD...interference gone. So for some reason the Savy is sending an interfering signal up the wire.

Anybody else having this issue? Any advise on what I can do to stop the interference? I know that I can hard wire it but I'm looking for another option so that I can continue using the Savy.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 PM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
I didn't know AM radio still existed, thought it went out with 8 tracks! Sorry couldn't help it

Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Well played. Need to figure out how to get Colin Cowheard on FM or Sat.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
The crude way would be to block whatever signal Savvy is emitting. But it may not be at the OBDII plug. I'd use some copper foil shielding tape if you can isolate the source. (3M makes the 1194 tape - if you ask nicely from the tech, they can send you a "sample" 3 foot roll that would be plenty for you to use.)

But the more elegant way is probably calling Valentine. Tell them about your problem and ask them to test their Savvy. They may not have thought to test whether it interfered with AM radio. Let them come up with a permanent fix for your unit. I doubt they will need to recall the existing units since they can just replace the ones for AM listeners...

Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
What's this AM you speak of?

Though my 997 V1 is hardwired, I do use Savvy in my ultimate brake-dust machine......... but haven't tried AM.

That being said, I presume you have V1 line running up A-pillar, right? Each A-pillar houses an antenna amplifier and by sounds of it (no pun intended) you're getting typical AM electrical interference. Even though V1 is not plugged in, Savvy still sends juice up cord. Simple test would be to leave Savvy plugged in OBDII port but disconnect RJ11 plug/cord on Savvy side (not V1 side). If you still have interference then yes it's Savvy unit and V1 should fix/repair/replace. If not, then the cord [power] is causing interference at antenna. Solution, as suggested above, would be to wrap the cord shielding it. Or open up a-pillar trim and move cord away from antenna amplifier... or both.

FYI - though I haven't seen the antenna amplifier in 9x7.2, it should be similar to those in 9x6 and 9x7.1: a black retangular box ~ 3" L x .5" h x .5"w w/ a screw securing to a-pillar body as I recall.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 09-06-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
That's great information. I talked to the nice people at V1 and they have a few things for me to try.

They said I could wrap the wire but I can also look at getting a shielded phone chord which should help solve the problem. I also saw that there are noise reducing couplers for a phone line that might work as well.