6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Your thoughts... added a splash of red to my black cab (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/289095-your-thoughts-added-splash-red-my-black-cab.html)

DallasDave 10-14-2012 08:03 PM

Your thoughts... added a splash of red to my black cab

I was bored today so I wrapped my front lower OEM front lip in red. Thought it would accentuate the “splashes” of red I had already done. What do you guys think? (I rarely scrape, but it is easy enough to replace)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ictureid=26897

IMO, compliments the rear view of the dipped logo.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ictureid=25655

I had also wrapped the front grills, but I thought it was too much. I snapped this picture before I took it off both sides. What are your thoughts?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ictureid=26898

At some point I will add mirror covers (center only, not the entire mirror) in Guards Red as well. (white line below light is a reflection)

Dave

wolfnards 10-14-2012 08:19 PM

i'm a fan! do you have any red accents in the interior like seatbelts or gauges?
Also, where did you buy the red wrap? is it vinyl?

Steve997S 10-14-2012 08:36 PM

The front is OTT as are the wheels. I only like the door graphics and the "S" is OK on the deck but I would have done the "Carrera" too. Thankfully you stopped short of the headlight cleaning bezels ;)

tommyv 10-14-2012 08:40 PM

Not my cup of tea.

Tom

MYC2SPC 10-14-2012 09:15 PM

Yep, it looks great! I like contrasts as such.

teflon_jones 10-14-2012 09:41 PM

It looks ok but you're really starting to go over the top. Next the mirrors, then what? Are you going to end up with an entirely guards red car? ;)

I'd get rid of the door script for sure as that's the part that's the most OTT.

cairo94507 10-15-2012 08:08 AM

Not my style. Clean car though.

Tcc1999 10-15-2012 08:44 AM

I'm a fan of accents - I'd accent my car more but my wife (who is always right on issues of style) keeps me in check. With a black on black car less is more. That said, it's just my opinion but the red grilles and the "S" seem to transform the car from subtle and eye catching to costumey - not that the latter is bad if that is the look you want. One additional observation, the model designation matches the paint but then you have the red "S" so it sort of just looks like, from a distance, a perplexing "S" on the back of your car - why not "Carrera S" in all red? At any rate, if you like it, then does it really matter what I think?

dethman 10-15-2012 10:34 AM

Front lip is ok, too much with the grill though imo.

richard181 10-15-2012 12:28 PM

Lip is good. Grill not so much.

cerbomark 10-15-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dethman (Post 3665194)
Front lip is ok, too much with the grill though imo.

I like the rest of what you ve done but No more!
It s becoming more than a splash.

JB in AR 10-15-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by richard181 (Post 3665318)
lip is good. Grill not so much.

+1

:)

JonasJordan1 10-15-2012 04:18 PM

maybe some red tint?

SlateC2S 10-15-2012 05:00 PM

Red lip echoes the S and and door lettering nicely - if you insist... but grills are too much though IMO.

krysFly 10-15-2012 05:01 PM

I like it, good stuff, just dont get too bored and add too much red :)

NugeC4S 10-15-2012 09:58 PM

I like it.

lenelsa 10-15-2012 10:20 PM

You made it your own.
Good for you .
Looks great !!!!

DallasDave 10-15-2012 10:48 PM

Good responses.

Standing back and taking a good look today, I agree that the exterior is now at an end point (need to blackout the headlight rings and lowering springs) - obviously agreed that the front grills were too much with removal. Also agree that the mirrors may now be too much as well.

Understand that in Dallas and even more so in my little neighborhood (located in North Dallas), highlines and exotics are nearly as common as MB's and BMW's. In fact, I regularly see most types of highline/exotic vehicles any given day. Everything from Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Fisker, Ford GT, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, McLaren, Rolls-Royce, Tesla, GTR, SLR/SLS, R8, Viper, ZR1 and of course Porsche - including Carrera GT all located in or around my neighborhood.

Therefore, unless I want to see myself coming and going, little unique touches eliminate the commonality of even a 911 cab. It sucks pulling into (or out) the neighborhood with another black 911, whether a 997 or 991.

On a side note, took it into one of our local dealers today and had the Fabspeed xpipe installed. I immediately recognized a sound difference upon startup.

Thanks all. Drive safely!

Dave

DallasDave 10-15-2012 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by wolfnards (Post 3664810)
i'm a fan! do you have any red accents in the interior like seatbelts or gauges?
Also, where did you buy the red wrap? is it vinyl?

Hadn't really touched the interior other than adding a paddle wheel. I was considering doing everything black actually. I plan to get rid of the silver accents, including the paddle wheel.

Picked up the material from a friend that owns a sign company.

Thanks,

Dave

DoninDEN 10-15-2012 11:10 PM

Just be careful, a little goes a long way. Maybe instead of the grill fins, a thin pinstripe on the lip of the fender right above the fog lights. Again a little goes a long way and I suspect you don't want to end up here:

Porsche Panamera Batmobile

DoninDEN 10-15-2012 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by DallasDave (Post 3665976)
Hadn't really touched the interior other than adding a paddle wheel. I was considering doing everything black actually. I plan to get rid of the silver accents, including the paddle wheel.

Picked up the material from a friend that owns a sign company.

Thanks,

Dave

Only red I'd add inside would be the stitching on one item, such as the shift knob or stealing wheel. Very little will be more impacting.

DoninDEN 10-15-2012 11:24 PM

Have you seen this one?

GT3 RS with red accents

dethman 10-15-2012 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by DoninDEN (Post 3665985)
Just be careful, a little goes a long way. Maybe instead of the grill fins, a thin pinstripe on the lip of the fender right above the fog lights. Again a little goes a long way and I suspect you don't want to end up here:

whoa wtf hahaha

Wanderingwheelz 10-16-2012 05:58 AM

I have a black cab, too. I'm not a fan of all the red stuff, personally. At all. To me it makes it look like a $15,000 car when it shouldn't.

Keep the black cabs classy! It's the classiest sports car on the road, hands down. Leave all of the fancy-schmancy accents and stickers to Mustang owners. ;)

DoninDEN 10-16-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderingwheelz (Post 3666105)
Leave all of the fancy-schmancy accents and stickers to Mustang owners. ;)

Hey I resemble that! LOL!

kman0120 10-30-2012 12:45 AM

hi

hi looks amazing .. Can you tell me how you get the red on the wheels ?

ArainLA 10-30-2012 05:10 AM

I think it looks good. I don't think it looks like a $15k car. The red mirrors are a factory look on the RS so why not?
On matters of style why bother asking, if you like it that's all that matters. I actually think all black cars are a bit common so I'd go your route.

Glassman 10-30-2012 09:58 PM

Looks good!

denversteve 10-30-2012 10:12 PM

Since this lives on, your car looks great. I didn't see it with the red grilles but the way it is is subtle and classy.

Tarek307 10-30-2012 10:22 PM

to each his own, but this cheapens the car in my humble opinion!

Franky Knuckles 10-30-2012 11:23 PM

Not my style, I think accenting the "S" on the back was kinda dope, but even that was kinda pushing it for me. Really dislike the red on the tires though lol. I just feel like Porsche is such a dope car (especially that jet black you have) you really don't have to do much to be honest...just my opinion :)

DoninDEN 10-31-2012 06:58 AM

It does look good with the accents. What are you doing with the inside?

Wanderingwheelz 10-31-2012 11:01 AM

You may feel less inclined to add color if you replaced the black Sport Design wheels with silver ones. Black wheels only look at home on white and maybe silver 911s. If you really want to set your car apart from all of your
neighbors 911s why not put some Champions or HREs on your car? A high end wheel upgrade is the single best way to make your car stand out in a crowd. Plus you'll gain a performance advantage apart from the unique new look.

Just my 2 cents. I just ordered Champion RG5 Monolites for my car, by the way.. So I put my money where my mouth is. Plus I do have Sharkwerks and AWE Tuning decals on my side windows, which tells other Pcar owners my car is different from theirs. I may put a Champion Motorsport sticker on there too, if I end up not using the center caps.

gasongasoff 10-31-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by DoninDEN (Post 3665985)

...and who would have thought a panamera could look any fuglier