997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Costco Extended Warranty a.k.a. Costco Vehicle Repair Protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Costco Extended Warranty a.k.a. Costco Vehicle Repair Protection

Hi,

I am looking into buying extended Warranty for my 2009 C4S from Costco (it's underwritten by COURTESY INSURANCE COMPANY).
The quote is $5k for 72 mo/60k miles
I don't want to start a discussion if extended warranties make sense or not (I had extended warranty on my Boxster and came out ahead by $12k - IMS failure)

I am interested if anyone has any good/bad experience with this specific warranty.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
I have the Costco Warranty, but mine is underwritten by Century Warranty Services. I have only had 1 claim. No problems what so ever. Experiense was great.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 PM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
I looked at them and really wanted to go with them, but they don't cover cars in Maryland. I've heard nothing but good things about that warranty service from Costco.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Hi,

I am looking into buying extended Warranty for my 2009 C4S from Costco (it's underwritten by COURTESY INSURANCE COMPANY).
The quote is $5k for 72 mo/60k miles
I don't want to start a discussion if extended warranties make sense or not (I had extended warranty on my Boxster and came out ahead by $12k - IMS failure)

I am interested if anyone has any good/bad experience with this specific warranty.

Thanks
Have you checked with your local Porsche Dealer on what they may charge you for their CPO? $5K does seem high.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
aaaaand now Costco has everything

Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
I have the Costco Warranty, but mine is underwritten by Century Warranty Services. I have only had 1 claim. No problems what so ever. Experiense was great.
Century’s Vehicle Protection Plans are insured by Courtesy Insurance Company...

Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Is that 72 mo/60k mi from new or from now? Depending on your own ownership experience, that is a lot of warranty. Perhaps on your '09 it is an additional 2 or 3 years. I would consider less time to bring down the cost.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Hdultrac has a spectacular aura aboutHdultrac has a spectacular aura aboutHdultrac has a spectacular aura about
Hatzenbach, I got multible written quotes from Costco. Called them on the phone and had them provide me the different coverage plans via email. Settled on the 6 year, 60k quote. I believe it was right at 2700 + or - a few bucks. I then went to my local dealer with plans in hand. At first, the dealer quotes were very high. I then mentioned I had a much better quote from Costco. Without hesitation, they stated they would match the Costco quote.
My plan is the platinum version, but I do have to kick in $100 bucks per claim. I'm not sure if this was a good deal or not. You'll have to be the judge. For me it was peace of mind insurance. Hopes this helps. Gary

PS, the factory warranty on my 09 ended in Feb. i actually got the plan a few months prior to expiration. My car had about 9600 miles when I purchased. Car currently has just over 10 k. Hope to take the car out of hibernation soon. Maybe this weekend.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by windboat
Have you checked with your local Porsche Dealer on what they may charge you for their CPO? $5K does seem high.
CPO would require that I sell the car to the dealer and then buy it from them again ...

Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hdultrac
Hatzenbach, I got multible written quotes from Costco. Called them on the phone and had them provide me the different coverage plans via email. Settled on the 6 year, 60k quote. I believe it was right at 2700 + or - a few bucks.
Strange that your quote is so much lower than mine
My dealer offers SGI which is cheaper but only offers to a total of 60k miles while Costco adds 60k miles on top of my 30k miles I already have
The coverages are pretty similar but SGI only covers up to $300 for "Radio" repair and that would be only a drop in the bucket if the PCM 3.0 needs repair or replacement...

Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Hdultrac has a spectacular aura aboutHdultrac has a spectacular aura aboutHdultrac has a spectacular aura about
The difference in quotes has to with the mileage. Plans for vehicles with less than 10 k are much cheaper. That fact prompted me to complete the transaction when I did. Gary

Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Can you get a COSTCO warranty after yours has expired?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Hi all - Very useful thread! Great job OP in posting this question. It caused me to do a bit of research including calling Costco today for a quote. Very quick and easy quote process and no hard sell tactics at all.

Here was the weblink I used to do some research on my own:

http://www.costcoauto.com/vpp/about.aspx

1. Since I am California, I was re-directed on the phone to Costco/Affinity Auto Coverage when I called Costco's 1800 number. You are redirected if you live in Cali, KY, and MD. Otherwise your coverage will be with Century Warranty Services. They did ask for my Costco membership number in order to generate a quote.

2. I was told their coverage was an 'exclusive policy', meaning they list only the things that are NOT covered vice a laundry list of items that are. So, what I was told was not covered was the following:

a) routine maintenance items such as oil changes, brake pads and rotors.

b) accident damage that a car insurance policy would cover, glass, etc.

c) cosmetic items such as light bulbs.

We did discuss a series of 'what if's', and I must say I was impressed.

1. I asked about head/valve gasket failure, water pump failures, seals, window motors, electronic components, etc. I was told they were all FULLY covered including secondary damage to the engine (I gave the IMS as an example).

2. I was told wear and tear was also covered. Meaning, if the water pump shows signs of leaking or the reservoir shows signs of leaking, it is fully covered and does not require failure of the part for replacement.

3. I was told that the warranty is FULLY transferrable if the car was sold and can be transferred to someone who is not a costco member. Additionally, I was told the warranty is pro rated upon termination. So for example if the car was written off in an accident, you will get refunded the remaining portion of the warranty.

4. I was told that the coverage is to any repair shop of our choice, including Porsche dealers.

5. I was told the policy includes both roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

So here was my quote for my 2009 Carrera C2 (also with 10% down and 18 months 0% interest):

6 Year/60K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (26K)

$6,925 ($100 deductible)

$5,303 ($250 deductible)

$4,207 ($500 deductible)

3 Year/30K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (26K)

$4,573 ($100 deductible)

$3,585 ($250 deductible)

$2,918 ($500 deductible)

Just as a data point, I also asked for a quote on my 2010 Audi Q5:

6 Year/60K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (24K)

$3,348 ($100 deductible)

$2,740 ($250 deductible)

$2,285 ($500 deductible)

3 Year/30K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (24K)

$1,756 ($100 deductible)

$1,546 ($250 deductible)

$1,389 ($500 deductible)

Summary

I have to admit I was very impressed with the policy coverage. If was in the market for an extended warranty right now, I'd probably get it. I'd of course do what others suggested and go shop this quote at the local Porsche Dealer before making a commitment. Regardless, I think a policy like this for 60K miles and the highest deductible seems like a very reasonable thing to have over a 6 year period of time for peace of mind coverage. Something I'm going to get once my CPO runs out in a few years. Gonna definitely go straight to these guys when I'm ready.

Last edited by daberlin; 03-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Can you get a COSTCO warranty after yours has expired?
What I was told on the phone today that is simply has to do with the age and mileage on your car. Not whether or not you have overlapping or non overlapping coverage.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Interesting. Would keep in mind average length of ownership and if you trade the car the transferability becomes worthless. The high deductible rates look like pretty good disaster protection though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Costco Extended Warranty a.k.a. Costco Vehicle Repair Protection