6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   weird passenger side mirror tilting action encountered today (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/299020-weird-passenger-side-mirror-tilting-action-encountered-today.html)

py0413 01-31-2013 12:33 AM

weird passenger side mirror tilting action encountered today

Hi folks,

I will try to explain the problem I encountered today. I noticed that my passenger side mirror did not tilt up after it automatically tilted down when putting the gear in reverse. Something might be wrong after the long 4 month winter storage as I thought.

Coming home, backed into my garage and left the gear in neutral, this time, it worked just fine. The mirror tilted up as it should. I proceed to do an experiment by driving the car outside and it wouldn't work once I left the garage. I back into the garage and it worked fine again. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Is my garage having some kind of magical power or is the car really acting weird or if I should go see my doctor again?

(the side mirror adjustment knob is alway set on selecting the passenger side, so the mirror tilts down when the car is in reverse gear. usually it tilts up once leaving the R gear)

Domer911 01-31-2013 05:07 AM

Iirc, the car has to be in forward motion for a moment for the mirror to return to normal position. I may be wrong.

py0413 01-31-2013 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Domer911 (Post 3757045)
Iirc, the car has to be in forward motion for a moment for the mirror to return to normal position. I may be wrong.

That happened a few times while I was trying to figure out what went wrong. However, it wasn't the case in every try. Sometime the mirror went back to its original position after picking up some speed, sometimes it just didn't move at all. Looks like I am starting to collect little things for a dealer visit.

jhbrennan 01-31-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by py0413 (Post 3756987)
Hi folks,

I will try to explain the problem I encountered today. I noticed that my passenger side mirror did not tilt up after it automatically tilted down when putting the gear in reverse. Something might be wrong after the long 4 month winter storage as I thought.

Coming home, backed into my garage and left the gear in neutral, this time, it worked just fine. The mirror tilted up as it should. I proceed to do an experiment by driving the car outside and it wouldn't work once I left the garage. I back into the garage and it worked fine again. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Is my garage having some kind of magical power or is the car really acting weird or if I should go see my doctor again?

(the side mirror adjustment knob is alway set on selecting the passenger side, so the mirror tilts down when the car is in reverse gear. usually it tilts up once leaving the R gear)

Returning mirror glass to its original position

f Drive forwards with a speed of over 4 mph (6 km/h)

py0413 01-31-2013 02:51 PM

I sort of figured that part out, but what confuses me is how come it works differently when the car is parked in the garage. Obviously, once leaving the R gear to either N or 1st gear, the car won't be having any moving forward motion and the mirror still returns to its original position. I will find out more when I visit the service department in Feb. Thanks for all your replies!

Minok 02-01-2013 01:26 PM

What else is different? Applying hand break? Shutting off engine?

py0413 02-02-2013 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Minok (Post 3758413)
What else is different? Applying hand break? Shutting off engine?

humm, could be the hand brake. I will check it tomorrow. :rolleyes:

jds686868 02-25-2015 03:51 AM

Did you ever resolve this issue? Mine did it for the first time today.

jhbrennan 02-25-2015 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by jds686868 (Post 4297870)
Did you ever resolve this issue? Mine did it for the first time today.

Did you recently change keys. If you have memory seat option I believe the mirror positions are set according to key being used.

jds686868 02-25-2015 02:44 PM

I do swap keys sometimes, but the issue is the mirror didn't go back to the normal position when you drive forward (the mirror points downwards when you select reverse).
So the mirror position should be "normal => down (when reversing) => normal" when drive off.

s4alex 02-25-2015 03:24 PM

Stupid question, but on the mirror adjustment knob, where is it? Left / Center / Right?

Wayne Smith 02-25-2015 04:32 PM

Mine waits until I get some forward speed before it goes up. I assume it wants to know I'm serious about not moving back and forth in case I am parallel parking.

jds686868 02-25-2015 07:41 PM

ok, used the other key today and it worked fine. The switch must be in the passenger "position" for the reverse down mirror function to engage.

s4alex 02-25-2015 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by jds686868 (Post 4298314)
ok, used the other key today and it worked fine. The switch must be in the passenger "position" for the reverse down mirror function to engage.

Yeah, I had to read up on this in the manual.

I am used to putting yhe knob back in the middle so I dont move a mirror accidentally. Then I read it needs to be clicked right or passenger side for the down to work properlly.

Glad it worked out for you.

jds686868 02-26-2015 12:40 PM

:) yeh the old RTFM thing. I thought I had accidentally touched the toggle switch the first time it happened. Will see how the other key goes today.