6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   PCAR Tires from COSTCO? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/302576-pcar-tires-costco.html)

windboat 03-14-2013 11:21 AM

PCAR Tires from COSTCO?

Anyone have any experience in buying tires for your 996/997 at COSTCO?

Do they normally have the proper mounting & balancing equipment for the Porsche OEM wheels?

I have purchased tires for non-Porsches from them for many years with a great amount of satisfaction. Any thoughts on this?

carrera997re 03-14-2013 11:39 AM

Crindge...

mjsporsche 03-14-2013 11:50 AM

Costco would not be my first choice for tire mounting. However, if you have been very satisfied with the service, and you speak to the tire manager about what measures they take to do a perfect job and continue to be comfortable, I see no downside. If the installer is someone who also works the gas pumps, I might RUN to someone who is a tire installation pro.

Their cost for the tires are good but you can do better from the online retailers.

windboat 03-14-2013 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mjsporsche (Post 3793252)
Costco would not be my first choice for tire mounting. However, if you have been very satisfied with the service, and you speak to the tire manager about what measures they take to do a perfect job and continue to be comfortable, I see no downside. If the installer is someone who also works the gas pumps, I might RUN to someone who is a tire installation pro.

Their cost for the tires are good but you can do better from the online retailers.

They won't be my first choice as well for the Porsche, I am more just curious if others have purchase PCAR tires from them. I also would have concerns buying from online tire sources and the local installers they recommend. One online sources has good prices, but the local suggested installer has a nasty reputation for lack of quality and service on normal cars (Ford, Chevy, etc.).

carrera997re 03-14-2013 12:48 PM

Get your tires from tirerack orr discount tire have them ship it to the nearest dealer let the dealer do the rest.

GuzziGreg 03-14-2013 01:31 PM

"Get your tires from tirerack orr discount tire have them ship it to the nearest dealer let the dealer do the rest."

Amen to that. Some things are just not worth the headache they may bring.

carrera997re 03-14-2013 01:34 PM

If you drove a civic i would say let costco do it. No big deal if the civic drives crooked haa well thats what i do anyway the beater goes to joe shmo we fix tires :D

XLR82XS 03-14-2013 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by carrera997re (Post 3793308)
Get your tires from tirerack orr discount tire have them ship it to the nearest dealer let the dealer do the rest.

That's what I tell my customers.

wc11 03-14-2013 01:53 PM

If it was for your regular Cayenne, meh.
The 911? Not unless they had a no touch mounting machine and road force balancer.
Even then, I don't ink so.

seapar 03-14-2013 01:59 PM

The local shop can help with patch repair from road hazards that unfortunately are quite common. Costco would have a long wait and it's probably not their thing to do regularly. Look at the Indy reviews on tire rack. May get alignment to preserve tire investment.

windboat 03-14-2013 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by GuzziGreg (Post 3793350)
"Get your tires from tirerack orr discount tire have them ship it to the nearest dealer let the dealer do the rest."

Amen to that. Some things are just not worth the headache they may bring.

Good thought, are most Porsche dealers willing to install tires purchased from a third party such as tirerack?

Of course I understand they would most likely charge standard shop labor rates to do so.

carrera997re 03-14-2013 02:27 PM

They will do it and shine your shoes as well. Cash is king lol

djantlive 03-14-2013 02:56 PM

find a good tire shop with touchless mouting equipment. they look a lot bigger than your typical clamp type mounting machine. it's your best bet again curbing a wheel during an install.

i dont think costco have the better machines. you may be lucky to find someone who will take the time and be skilled enough to do the job right. however, that is usually not the case.

i had a cheap DD wheel stud stripped by costco. they sent me to a repair shop who took care of the stud. it took a week though. not fun. these days, costco charges mounting too. so, it makes little sense to go there anymore.

mjsporsche 03-14-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by windboat (Post 3793385)
Good thought, are most Porsche dealers willing to install tires purchased from a third party such as tirerack?

Of course I understand they would most likely charge standard shop labor rates to do so.

Tirerack is the supplier to most Porsche dealers. It is a National program. In fact, the prices the dealer pays from Tirerack are even better than what we see on Tirerack's website. And many dealers place a very small mark up on the prices they pay.

nota_troll 03-14-2013 10:42 PM

Costco installed my tires on all my cars (performance and non) and had no issue with them but maybe I'm not picky enough. Heck I use their gas.