997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

duck tail finals

Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Darthvader
Can you post some close ups so we can see what you mean about the figment?
well, if you look closely at the side view and rear 3/4 view pic you can see how nicely the 3rd brake light area is pretty flush with the leading edge of the rear deck lid/duck tail. In most cases, without adjustment, the 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness of the misha duck tail will seem taller at that transition. So if you were sliding your hand from the 3rd brake light area on to the duck tail you would feel a slightly taller lip at the leading edge.. Which gives away that fact that the duck tail is sitting on top of the decklid. By making the proper adjustments you can lower that leading edge so now it is a smooth transition from body to deck lid... I hope that makes sense... I attached a photo showing the not so flush vs flush with a little adjustment..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Not_so_flush_vs_Flush.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	350148  

Last edited by qikqbn; 02-15-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 PM
jacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the roughjacksonporsche is a jewel in the rough
Can anyone comment on whether the ducktail would work on the 997.2 cab? And if it would work, would it look weird on a cab?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 AM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Nicely done.

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Recently updated my old Misha Duck tail with the newer more raked/steeper angle Misha version. Love this look much better. Also a fitment note/tip for every one who has a Misha duck tail.. Since the Misha tail fits "on top" of decklid it can look a bit high and not flush with the transition from the 3rd brake light to the deck lid. I removed the 4 screws that hold the decklid to its brackets, remove the decklid (remove fan 1st) Then make the bracket holes larger where the screws go in to give you more wiggle and adjustment room ( I used a round file to make the holes bigger) ... I had to widen the holes in the direction of the back of the car and down a few milimeters. With proper adjustment you can have the duck tail with a nice, flush and smooth transition.. It will look like a factory fitment and not after market.. I am really happy with the look of this tail with proper fitment.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Got it...thanks

Originally Posted by qikqbn
well, if you look closely at the side view and rear 3/4 view pic you can see how nicely the 3rd brake light area is pretty flush with the leading edge of the rear deck lid/duck tail. In most cases, without adjustment, the 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness of the misha duck tail will seem taller at that transition. So if you were sliding your hand from the 3rd brake light area on to the duck tail you would feel a slightly taller lip at the leading edge.. Which gives away that fact that the duck tail is sitting on top of the decklid. By making the proper adjustments you can lower that leading edge so now it is a smooth transition from body to deck lid... I hope that makes sense... I attached a photo showing the not so flush vs flush with a little adjustment..

Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM
R0B6 is on a distinguished road
Excellent information. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:09 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I like mine alot at first i was nervous but it turned out pretty dam well

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	717.9 KB
ID:	350615  
Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Body guy made it flush where the tail up top meets the lid where the third brake light is.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	350620  
Old 03-25-2014, 05:25 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jacksonporsche
Can anyone comment on whether the ducktail would work on the 997.2 cab? And if it would work, would it look weird on a cab?

Can't ses why it wouldn't work as it's a direct replacement for the pop up
but not sure how it wood look.

Depends on which one you get. The "Classic" is taller with the 3rd brake light where as the Misha's profile is much lower thus no need for the brake light.

I personally would think the Misha would be the better option considering the cab profile when the top is down.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM
richard181 will become famous soon enough
The Misha looks like a 2 piece tail. There seems to be a seam at the rear decklid??

Getty Images is a one piece design

Name:	188.jpg
Views:	7149
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	350792   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0792_zpsf648e091.jpg
Views:	8448
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	350793  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM
It's not a 2 piece per say.
You remove the pop up spoiler and put the ducktail in its place.
Thus the seam because your still using the original trunk lid.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wc11
It's not a 2 piece per say.
You remove the pop up spoiler and put the ducktail in its place.
Thus the seam because your still using the original trunk lid.
you just defined a two piece- original decklid + ducktail = 2 pieces.
getty is 1 piece because it completely replaces the original decklid.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by killacam
you just defined a two piece- original decklid + ducktail = 2 pieces.
getty is 1 piece because it completely replaces the original decklid.
Tomato Tomato.
Your buying only the tail (1 piece) and reusing your trunk so it a fraction of the price.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jacksonporsche
Well... there are lots of pics of the 991 convertible with duck tail. I attached a few. This should give you an idea of how it might look. Depending on the color of the car I think it looks good...

It really does come down to your tastes and if you like "subtle or more aggressive" designs. I looked at the getty design 1 piece for a long time. I love it, almost bought it, and it is the closest to the sport classic... but it does not necessarily work on every car. I thought it was a bit aggressive for my car. My C4S, in my opinion, with the Carrera Sport wheels, no decals, sport classic bumper has a clean, elegant, yet sporty look to it that I felt needed something a bit more subtle (wc11 posted the same idea). The misha tail is a really nice compromise.

The sport classic design which is steeper raked and includes 3rd brake light looks fantastic on the right car. On some cars with out the proper stance/wheel combo it can overwhelm the back end and look a bit large and off balance. Kind of like the reverse of cars that put GT3 front bumper without a wing.. it starts to look a tiny bit off balance.

So, it's really up to you. If you are like me you want to stare at your car because its so flippin cool to look at the right wing can make a huge difference. Get the wrong wing and you will be frustrated when you look at your car

decisions, decisions

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	350839   Click image for larger version

Name:	iUQRGuNj.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	350840   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	350841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-911-sports-design-package-ducktail-600x441.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	350842  

Last edited by qikqbn; 03-25-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
Ok now I am really confused. Can you please post links to both the one piece ducktail and the two piece. I am afraid I am going to order the wrong thing.

Really appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by wc11
Tomato Tomato.
Your buying only the tail (1 piece) and reusing your trunk so it a fraction of the price.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Darthvader
Ok now I am really confused. Can you please post links to both the one piece ducktail and the two piece. I am afraid I am going to order the wrong thing.

Really appreciate the help.
misha is 2 piece, getty or mashaw is 1 piece. misha replaces the pop up spoiler, getty and mashaw replace the entire decklid. misha is lower profile, while getty and mashaw are a bit taller and more closely resemble the sport classic ducktail.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: duck tail finals