6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Any reason NOT to get a CNA Warranty? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/306082-any-reason-not-get-cna-warranty.html)

fastm3 04-22-2013 06:59 PM

Any reason NOT to get a CNA Warranty?

I've decided that I'll sleep better with an extended warranty for my 2006 911 cab, with 34,000 miles. I wanted the best exclusionary warranty available, and compared Costco's (Century Warranty Services), and the one offered by my Porsche dealer of choice (Porsche of the Mainline) which is actually CNA Auto Preferred Care.

As I mentioned, they're both top of the line exclusionary policies, and seem to cover all the important stuff. The things they don't cover, like the clutch, belts, brake pads/rotors, etc., no one seems to cover since they're truly wear and tear items. From the looks of it, their coverage seem to be pretty much the same.

The pluses of each are:

Costco (Century):
- I trust Costco and know they stand behind everything they sell
- 60 Day money back guarantee
- Completely transferrable, and cancelable with a prorated refund
- Can spread the payment out over 18 months with 0% interest

Porsche Dealer (CNA):
- Dealer has a good reputation, and I've had good experience with them
- Since the dealer is selling it, I would hope that they deal directly with CNA and resolve any potential issues or problems
- A "Disappearing Deductible" means that if I choose to do the work at this dealer, I won't have to pay any deductible. I always service my car there anyway, so this one is huge for me.

Prices:

Costco (Century): 4 years, 48,000 miles, $250 Deductible = $4674

Porsche Dealer (CNA): 4 years, 24,000 miles, Disappearing Deductible = $3751

I'm much more inclined to get the CNA warranty. I don't think I'll put more than 6,000 miles a year on the car; I won't have to pay a deductible; and it costs so much less to boot. The only thing is, I have to have the Porsche dealer do a preliminary check at my expense ($200) beforehand, which is kinda BS since they just did a complete check just a few weeks ago. There were no issues found.

So, does all this all sound OK? Any positive or negative experience with either Century or CNA would be very useful. Any other tips or suggestions would also be very much appreciated guys.

Ken968 04-22-2013 07:24 PM

I have never dealt with either of these companies but I would prob go with the costco one because it covers more mileage. After you pay $200 to inspect the car the difference is about $800 for 24000 more miles of coverage. If anything ever needs to be repaired you will be ecstatic to pay only $250 of a $1500 repair. Just my 2 cents

Ken

fastm3 04-22-2013 07:29 PM

But I really don't expect to drive more than 6,000 miles a year, so all those extra miles would be "wasted". On the other hand, paying $250 each time I need to have something done is real money. There are a lot of parts that cost less than $250 that I wouldn't have to pay for with the CNA.

Enilder 04-22-2013 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ken968 (Post 3829161)
I have never dealt with either of these companies but I would prob go with the costco one because it covers more mileage. After you pay $200 to inspect the car the difference is about $800 for 24000 more miles of coverage. If anything ever needs to be repaired you will be ecstatic to pay only $250 of a $1500 repair. Just my 2 cents

Ken

This AND figure out what can potentially break down. Multiple dealer visits for any problems will eat your wallet away over time. 2 main factors:

1) Target mileage per year
2) Reliability of the vehicle

fastm3 04-22-2013 08:12 PM

I figure I'll most probably drive it between 5,000 and 6,000 miles per year. So far I've had the car for about 9 months, and have put about 3,000 miles. During the last 9 months, I've had to shell out over $2000 for a control unit, horns, and most recently cracked coils.

I know 997s are supposedly reliable, but there is just SO much that could go wrong in the next 3 to 6 years, from water pumps, to the PCM to switches, regulators, etc., etc. If the past few months are any indication, I'll probably spend a lot more than $3700 in repairs in the next 4 years. I could be wrong, but then again my experience suggests an extended warranty will provide me some peace of mind.