997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trip to FL WHAT TO DO AND DON'Ts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM
brazeagle is on a distinguished road
Question Trip to FL WHAT TO DO AND DON'Ts

I am taking my first owned PORSCHE from NYC to Miami, I recently serviced it, everything checks out, now I just wonder if anyone out there has done that trip before and what are the things that I should either DO it or AVOID it.

The car has 13K now, it is a CABRIO, new tires, C2S, and my son will be my co-pilot for the trip.

Thanks for any inputs you may have.

Regards,
LCL

Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM
DJSArcade is on a distinguished road
If you don't have a clearbra, you should get one. THe long road trips are the worst for rock chips.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
last year I went from Fla to NY... Time your trip so you are not going thru the Wash DC area during the day and rush hours on week days. You are probably a little over 4 hrs away from your location if that helps. Traffic is insane and fender benders are all over the place.
As far as the car, remember you have no spare. Check all your flat repairing items.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DJSArcade
If you don't have a clearbra, you should get one. THe long road trips are the worst for rock chips.

Not to mention it's that crazy love bug season in south Florida that will literally turn the front end of your car black from all the dead bugs. They even have wash stations at the gas stations just for this. I think this goes on through August. See pic below or google Florida love bugs on your car pics

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut...ics&type=&vm=r

Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Be careful not to speed around southern Georgia and northern Florida. Lots of speed traps in those areas. Let me know when you get to Miami. We can meet for coffee or lunch. Have a safe trip. Also, don't hesitate to ask if you need something while in Miami.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I remember those! Yuchhh!!!

If you or your son use sunscreen, wash your hands before you touch any of the ***** or toggles in your car.

Oh, and if you don't already have Zunsport grills, then put those on your list of practical things to get for your car at some point.

Last edited by JB in AR; 07-19-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
The Blue Ridge Parkway, site seeing, not necessarily for drivin fast.
Tail of the Dragon, Deals Gap.
I know it's summer, crowded etc....
Take your time and see/experience a couple places along the way.

It's not about the destination...it's about the journey.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Jonhunt is on a distinguished road
Buy a Wal-mart gift card and fill up at Manning or Walterboro, S.C....both are just off I-95 and the card gets you a 10 cent a gallon discount. S.C. gas prices are about the lowest you will see on the trip. Georgia is slightly lower than Florida. Bring plenty of money to leave in Florida.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Just one question (fun trip, I'm sure)...why in the hell would anyone go to Miami in July/August?

Enjoy the ride, should be a fun trip other than the bugs and heat in Miami.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Yup, the summer in Miami is brutal. The best time to visit is from November to the beginning of May.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Jasper1 is on a distinguished road
I'm taking my '06 Cab to Miami from NC in a couple of weeks. Thankfully it is a corp relo and it is being transported in a covered carrier. I agree on the summer heat. I used to live in Miami years ago. This time of the year for me it was generally top down at night until the cooler weather arrives.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
brazeagle is on a distinguished road
GUYS...
I am back from Miami, had a great trip...here is a update on my trip:
Left NYC at 1:30 am, stooped for gas in Virginia at around 6:30 am, absolutely no traffic crossing DC area at around 5 am, my son was sleeping until first stop for gas and light breakfast.
Huge T-Storms in SC, Georgia and Jacksonville area, flooding, lightning and very poor visibility for about 200 miles (on and off), car handled very well, despite I was advised to be extra careful with hydroplaning...but is was no issue at all at about 60MPH on those conditions.
Police will not stop you if you are under 81MPH on a 70 speed limit (it was the case to me and others told me the same thing). I drove mostly at 79MPH and gas mileage was always about 23.1 MPG.
At 4:30 pm I was passing Jacksonville under a Tornado Watch...it was quite bad and traffic was very slow on I-95 for about 15 miles only, past the city.

At 9:30 pm I arrived in my destination (Hallandale Beach, FL) without any problems.

No police in NJ, Mariland, DC, Virginia, NC, a couple patrols in SC and MANY radar police cars in Georgia and North Florida.

Weather was not so bad, everyone always say FL is the worst in July-August, but I find it not to be so true, as I always go there since this is my only vacation time! Temp was around 85 to 91F, and not so humid as NY was when I left. Lots of sunshine and daily afternoon rain to refresh.

The way back to NY...My wife joined us after a couple of days and we drove the three of us in the 997, without a problem, my son was okay on the back, watching movies and sometimes napping sideways! but no complaints, Except that I stooped in NC for the night to rest and continued early morning the next day, so cabin comfort was not an issue, which surprised me quite a bit, since our last trip (a month ago) was on a comfy SUV to Miami.
I am sorry I did not contact the folks in Mia, as I got very busy with my son teaching him surfing. Had some fair waves for a few days, since Dorian storm passed and left us some Eastern winds.

PROS:
The car handles VERY VERY WELL
Comfortable at all times
Has great pick up power when needed
Did not see any other Porsche on the road
Road is fairly good all the way from NYC to FL
Not so much road noise on the cabrio

CONS:
The way back, got construction on DC north bound...lots of flying stones...
Got a cracked windshield (minor, no need for repair)
Don't leave mid-day...best is always at around 2 to 4 am
Don't pass DC on a weekday, except if before 6am and after 11pm
Don't pass DC on weekends at around 4 to 6 pm
Don't take New Jersey Turnpike on Sunday after 2:30pm...Beach traffic start at around that time returning North.
Never drive behind a truck or large SUVs, stay in a different lane and at least 200 yards away.
REV-IT-UP and pass any trucks quickly, don't stay on their side due to possible stones
ONLY gas up on known brand gas stations (BP, SUNOCO, SHELL)
Avoid EXXON and MOBIL (strange but true) they're usually in bad areas and pumps are old and problematic. (I travel to FL three times a year, every year)
Be careful when required to see attendant in gas stations and leaving the car open! some spots you do not know may have a considerable amount of theft, you would be surprised.

Great guys,
All the best and take this trip without any concerns...it is such a great experience.
If tired...dozing, stop in a rest are or gas station...don't drive if too tired...you may loose control. Stay alert with all your surrounding at all times, look for trends of bad or fatigue drivers in front of you, so you can avoid them, stay alert and enjoy some good music on the way.

Regards,
LCL

Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
Kudos to you... I dont know how you do it. Anything more than 3 hours is too long for me in any car.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM
997_Toronto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eldertec
The Blue Ridge Parkway, site seeing, not necessarily for drivin fast.
Tail of the Dragon, Deals Gap.
I know it's summer, crowded etc....
Take your time and see/experience a couple places along the way.

It's not about the destination...it's about the journey.
Agree...don't miss Blue Ridge Parkway, Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway...I've ridden them on my motorcycle and would love to do them in the Porsche.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Great write-up. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trip to FL WHAT TO DO AND DON'Ts