997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:03 PM
MemeMagno is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi amstang66,
Did you installed the Focal 3 way component set 165AS3? I can buy it for almost the price of the IS200 + ISC100, but I don't know if they will fit in the car, and what it's most important what could happen if I install them without the crossovers.
Cheers,
T.

Originally Posted by amstang66
do the 8 inch fit in all 997's. I am about to embark down this path and was considering the Focal 3 way component set. 165 AS3 (6.5 woofer, 3 inch mid, 1 in tweeter.
Thoughts

Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 PM
amstang66 is on a distinguished road
I went with my installers suggestion after. he is the expert and has done all my cars. I ended up with the Focal 3way 165 AS3 with Soundstream amp and Pioneer head unit. He resealed the stock sub and rewired the rear Bose stock speakers for rear fill. This is the best sounding car I have had. The installer had worked on some high end systems but stated this was the best sounding convert he as ever done. I am very impressed with the sound. I showed him this thread on the 8" vs the 3way but he was not convinced that (8") was the best way to go. I am happy with the sound.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:46 PM
I would say the crossovers are needed

Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MemeMagno
Hi amstang66,
Did you installed the Focal 3 way component set 165AS3? I can buy it for almost the price of the IS200 + ISC100, but I don't know if they will fit in the car, and what it's most important what could happen if I install them without the crossovers.
Cheers,
T.
The integration series has built in cross overs making them ideal for this application. If you use speakers with external cross overs you should use them, but you open yourself up to a whole world of possible rattles and potential interference.
If you check the thread, I ran the 6.5" speakers and the 8" speakers. No comparison, the 8s were much better.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I went with my installers suggestion after. he is the expert and has done all my cars. I ended up with the Focal 3way 165 AS3 with Soundstream amp and Pioneer head unit. He resealed the stock sub and rewired the rear Bose stock speakers for rear fill. This is the best sounding car I have had. The installer had worked on some high end systems but stated this was the best sounding convert he as ever done. I am very impressed with the sound. I showed him this thread on the 8" vs the 3way but he was not convinced that (8") was the best way to go. I am happy with the sound.
Glad that worked out for you. Just wondering how much it ended up costing.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Total cost for components and install was 3K. Don't forget I am located in Canada where components are a lot more expensive.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Total cost for components and install was 3K. Don't forget I am located in Canada where components are a lot more expensive.
Sounds about right. Not quite the budget upgrade anymore but I'm sure it sounds nice. Biggest thing about the budget upgrade is retaining the stock PCM, yet upgrading the sound. One also has the easy ability to revert back to stock.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:22 PM
rrodmanr is on a distinguished road
High Pass and Sub

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
Hi rrodmanr,
Could you please explain a little bit more "I used the included high pass focal crossover and the tweets are crossed at a correct range now". I don't know how to do that. I'm also planning to install the Tang Band W5-1138SMF or the W5-2053 5" Subwoofers within the rear Box (which one you picked?). For the center maybe the Dayton Reference 3 (Still trying to find another alternative to compare...).
Cheers,
T.
Sorry for the late reply. The Focals (either 4" component or 8" component set" ) come equipped with a high pass crossover. It is wired with correct polarity -Porsche wires are Stripe negative/ solid positive. Focal red is positive Black negative. It crosses the tweets at about 3000HZ with a 6db/oct roll off. Current Bose active crossover seems like the crossover is much lower- abt 1200 hz. At that low crossover point, the tweets are asked to produce slot of mid range frequencies. In the higher crossover they can focus on high freqs. Letting the 4" door midrange handle the Mids.
Regarding the subs, I have a 991 can, which only uses one sub. I have both to test- the Tang Bang 5 1/4" 1138( which by the sticker looks like Bose uses this manufacturer as well for their speakers. I also have the W5.
The W5 weighs three times more(ferrit vs. Neo magnet on the 1138. But the 1138 has a higher sensitivity. I have yet to try both to see which gives equal or more output since I won't change the sub amp.
I will keep you guys updated.
Also the scans peak 4" midranges are beautifully voiced. Nice match to the Focals.
I replaced the rears with the focal 4" component set , and though nicely balanced have considerably less output than the old 2 ohm Bose Mids and tweets.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:41 AM
hogdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Could someone please elaborate on how to replace the existing larger Bose Center Speaker with the smaller Focal 1.5 one as I am not exactly sure the best method to do this and I am a complete rookie. I acquired a FocalTIS 1.5. Also I am guessing for the side dash tweeters, some tape wrapped around (once you remove the cover) will allow them a snug fit.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:53 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hogdude
Could someone please elaborate on how to replace the existing larger Bose Center Speaker with the smaller Focal 1.5 one as I am not exactly sure the best method to do this and I am a complete rookie. I acquired a FocalTIS 1.5. Also I am guessing for the side dash tweeters, some tape wrapped around (once you remove the cover) will allow them a snug fit.
Getting old really sucks since 1) I was the one who initially came up with dissecting the housing of the tweeters AND wrapping them with rubber tape and 2) replacing the middle factory tweeter with same focal tweeter...yet I can't remember how I installed the middle focal tweeter. LOL

I can look tomorrow if no one answers.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Getting old really sucks since 1) I was the one who initially came up with dissecting the housing of the tweeters AND wrapping them with rubber tape and 2) replacing the middle factory tweeter with same focal tweeter...yet I can't remember how I installed the middle focal tweeter. LOL

I can look tomorrow if no one answers.
I'm getting old too! I believe I simply wired the center tweeter into place. Indeed, credit to my friend who thought to use the tweeters "naked" saving a lot of work cutting away space for them, which I originally did in another car.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Anyone else done the conversion? My car is now living happily in MD with its new owner! I've got a full set of Bose speakers if anyone wants to buy them.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hogdude
I did not replace the center speaker but installed a volume control to lower it. This volume control is called at L-Pad and I put the **** under the dash on the center "hump" side. See my instructions for this here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2-15-a-38.html

I did this for the simple reason that the center speaker is bigger to provide a lower frequency range. So I didn't want to install a smaller driver (bigger = lower as it has to move more air for lower frequencies). The problem using the original driver is that it is more efficient than the Focal drivers. In other words, the Focal drivers play softer and you must lower the volume of the center channel.

The total cost to do this was just a few bucks and an hour or so of time. Very easy to do if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 02-09-2017, 04:17 PM
I've since moved out of my turbo, but I hope others have done these simple mods to dramatically improve their Bose systems.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Any updates? Would love to see this thread reach 100,000 views!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15