997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:32 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
does anyone have a DIY on removing some or all of the rear cabin interior trim and seats? I want to add about 10lbs of sound insulation
Check Rennlist. There is a thread on changing seatbelts. It requires moving all of the seatbelt covers in order to access and remove the rear quarter panel. Straightforward, but tedious. I was very happy to install the speaker panel to the outside of the quarter panel rather than to the inside.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
What is an oscillating cutter? I'll need to check that out.
This

The blade vibrates or oscillates to cut the material. Easy to control and nice clean cuts. A quick run over with a deburring tool finishes it up.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thanks for that. I went to a jigsaw for the same reason. I've heard of the same clearance issue from others using the stock baffle. It's too thick when using a different woofer. I went for an MDF baffle to also retain the ability to go back to stock.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:40 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
After seeing some of the versions here, I built a slightly improved version for the rear panel. 1/4" mdf mounted in the back, with a closed cell foam to add more clearance and double as a vibration isolator. No speaker tabs broken since I rotated them into place, and no cutting of door panel just 1 drill hole

Old 11-05-2018, 04:51 PM
jimmyz2 is on a distinguished road
Just a heads up for 997 and newer P cars, if you replace the head init with aftermarket unit, you lose the communication between the cars commuter and diagnostics.I must have missed that useful info.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:22 AM
After seeing some of the versions here, I built a slightly improved version for the rear panel. 1/4" mdf mounted in the back, with a closed cell foam to add more clearance and double as a vibration isolator. No speaker tabs broken since I rotated them into place, and no cutting of door panel just 1 drill hole

Nicely done. Did you mount that from the rear? I did that on my first car and then moved to mounting from the front the second time around since removing the rear panel was such a PIA.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Nicely done. Did you mount that from the rear? I did that on my first car and then moved to mounting from the front the second time around since removing the rear panel was such a PIA.
mounted the speakers from the rear, by sliding the custom mounts from the bottom of the panel.

I FIRST removed the rear panels and added RAAM mat (dynamat) and closed cell foam to make them heavier and vibrate less, then paid a shop to re-install them. In hingsight, I should have installed the speakers before re-installing, lol.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Mounting on ABS allows you to mount from the front, saving a lot of time and effort. Taking of the rear panel requires removing the seatbelts and B pillar. It is a lot more work than I thought it would be. I think I moved the details to the first post.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:56 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Panel removal isn't needed. The grill screen just pops off and then the plate that holds the speaker can be removed from the front. You could then mount the speaker on the back of whatever board you want to construct and then reinstall it. During g thus install, I never removed the rear panels.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
amazing talents and work everyone. This got me so excited to do my car. I like to listen to details and i'm not worried much about bass. Do i need to do the subs or keep the OEM ?

From factory the sound system worked best to the type of music a listen to ( arabic ) is the BMW M3 E92 premium speakers.

If anyone have any advise please let me know, otherwise i will go with what everyone is doing without the subs.

Thank you again for all info

Old 11-12-2018, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
amazing talents and work everyone. This got me so excited to do my car. I like to listen to details and i'm not worried much about bass. Do i need to do the subs or keep the OEM ?

From factory the sound system worked best to the type of music a listen to ( arabic ) is the BMW M3 E92 premium speakers.

If anyone have any advise please let me know, otherwise i will go with what everyone is doing without the subs.

you can always change the subwoofers as the LAST step, IF you think you need it

Old 11-12-2018, 08:35 AM

I found that once I replaced all the Bose speakers with the Focals, there wasn't much Bass from the doors or rear speakers without setting the Bass all the way up so I was glad to have the upgraded subs with gain adjustment **** to fill in. With it all the way up and being able to adjust what's coming from the sub, it's very tunable for the source (radio, CD, BT streaming through my Dension, aux jack also through the Dension) or for the artist or type of music I'm listening too. But as said below, you can always do them last.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Sound good. Most music i listen to doesn't require high quality bass. I have a feeling that i will end up doing the sub but I wanna give it a try without.

Again i do care about details and clarity more than anything else.

Thank you so much for the great info

Do you think there is better option that Focal ?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Sound good. Most music i listen to doesn't require high quality bass. I have a feeling that i will end up doing the sub but I wanna give it a try without.

Again i do care about details and clarity more than anything else.

Thank you so much for the great info

Do you think there is better option that Focal ?
Focal is tested by several to be a good match, they're accurate and sensitive enough for the stock amp. They're cheap enough to where I wouldn't mess with other brands to save $20-30

Old 11-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Focal is tested by several to be a good match, they're accurate and sensitive enough for the stock amp. They're cheap enough to where I wouldn't mess with other brands to save $20-30
my post was if there is better quality or better option. If the price is higher no issues. I think it is worth it.

I will go with the tested set up. thanks a lot

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15