997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tint Vertical Distortion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM
JP911C4S is on a distinguished road
Tint Vertical Distortion?

"Young at heart (against my wisdom)", I tinted my newly purchased White C4S.

I have a picture to show, but how do I upload to Thread (using iPad)?

To my surprise, At night, at the rear window around the defroster lines, I get headlight reflected (glare) on each of the lines.

Used the solar gars film.

Tinter is telling me that it is not the installation issue, it's due to the Porsche having more curve window (the angle of the rear window effects the degree of headlight reflection). It seems reasonable argument but...I don't want to believe.

I also have a picture of what I am dealing with, but can't upload picture (with iPad?)

From outside, it looks good. But, it's very annoying to drive at night -

Again, do I have to live with this or is it bad tint job?

Thoughts?

I appreciate all inputs.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Tinted window picture

Sorry, not sure why I can't upload multiple pictures at the same time...

This is my White C4S with 35% rear and sides...

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Headlight reflection on tinted rear window

Here is the problem...

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
With a microfiber cloth between your finger and tint film... run it parallel over each defroster line pressing firmly to get the film to adhere as close as possible to it and the glass. Same thing around edges of any glass where the dot matrix is. Doing this each day for about a week after install will not completely eradicate the issue but will minimize the distortion effect you are experiencing.

Good luck

Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
It also appears to me that the tint is not totally flat due to the defroster lines. And if the surface is nor flat you will get a distorted view.
I ll check my other car, as it has rear tint, to see what it looks like over the defroster lines.
How long ago was it done? Park it in the sun to help it dry and hopefully get tighter.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks Burg Boxster for your suggestion. I'll try it - hopefully, it's not too late.
I got my car tinted about week ago.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same problem with my rear tint. I just live with it.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:53 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Has anyone ever removed tint wothout damage to the windows or defrost?

Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Quality tint shops know how to remove without damage. They do it all the time.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Cerbomark, did you check your other car? How's that look? I am thinking of removing it (I can't live with the glares). He is going to charge me more than I spent on tinting - it takes 2x long to remove it - a delicate operation around defroster lines.

Lessons learned!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:01 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Are there any tint films that don't cause rear window glare?

Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JP911C4S
Cerbomark, did you check your other car? How's that look? I am thinking of removing it (I can't live with the glares). He is going to charge me more than I spent on tinting - it takes 2x long to remove it - a delicate operation around defroster lines.

Lessons learned!
yes, it s not like yours. maybe the lower car ????

Old 10-05-2013, 03:36 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Quality tint shops know how to remove without damage. They do it all the time.
Thanks. I had mine on for 2years and im debating about removing it. The back side windows have those little bubbles towards the bottom and on the rear glass yikes the bottoms all dots. Tint looks good but maybe better without what to do what to dooo

Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I have the same problem with my rear tint. I just live with it.
I'll let you now in few weeks. I found out that the film I used is the culprit of the extreme glares I am experiencing. My inexpensive Tinter used solar gard HP-Smoke -35 which is metalized film. "You get what you pay for " is absolutely correct

I plan to strip off my current film on my rear window and replace with 3M at a reputable Tint place (2x$) which I should have used in the first place -- lessons learned!

I am waiting for a sunny day in NJ. It's a lot easier to remove film with a chemical treatment when sun is out (rather using a heat gun). More time wasted and more $ in the end - "measure 2x before you cut" - should have done more HW

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
live and learn. car looks beautiful however. could use a set of wheels and your all done

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tint Vertical Distortion?