6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Alpine INE-W927HD installed (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/321320-alpine-ine-w927hd-installed.html)

JB in AR 11-02-2013 09:07 AM

Alpine INE-W927HD installed

2 Attachment(s)
I had my POS/PITA .1 PCM replaced this week, and I am extremely pleased with my decision to go with the Alpine INE-W927HD. Marina del Rey, CA was a bit of a drive from Little Rock, AR, so I had the install done here locally. That said, I would like to thank Delrey Customs for posting all the Youtube vids, which had a big influence on my decision to go with this product.

usaf.ammoguy 11-02-2013 04:26 PM

Got Mine at A & E in Delray

2 Attachment(s)
I've got the same unit installed in my 2008 997 S. I bought the kit from the folks in Delray and did it myself. I saved over $1K. It even came with Porsche logo faceplate and Porsche logo on the start up screen. Plan to do the LED fog/turn/tail light conversion the same way. I love A&E!.

JB in AR 11-02-2013 04:38 PM

You got a great deal, sounds like. One basic thing I notice that the Alpine doesn't have is a destination ETA, although it has time to destination. Seems like an obvious function to have left out. :(

tlis300 11-02-2013 05:17 PM

Looks good!

usaf.ammoguy 11-02-2013 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AR (Post 3971982)
You got a great deal, sounds like. One basic thing I notice that the Alpine doesn't have is a destination ETA, although it has time to destination. Seems like an obvious function to have left out. :(

Well I look at the unit as being a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kinda thing, so yeah, it would be nice to have ETA, but I can live without it.:o

JB in AR 11-02-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by usaf.ammoguy (Post 3972028)
Well I look at the unit as being a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kinda thing, so yeah, it would be nice to have ETA, but I can live without it.:o

Actually, I found where ETA was hidden. If you touch the destination/waypoint box on the left of the screen in map mode, it leaves map mode and presents ETA at the destination or waypoint. Obviously, you have to a destination programmed for an ETA to show.

usaf.ammoguy 11-02-2013 06:31 PM

Good catch and thank you JB in Razorback country!

JB in AR 11-02-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by usaf.ammoguy (Post 3972033)
Good catch and thank you JB in Razorback country!

You're welcome, but the Hogs pretty much suck bad this year.:mad:

usaf.ammoguy 11-02-2013 07:28 PM

Know the feeling. My Bulldogs tried to give it away against the 'Gators this afternoon, but it ended well enough.

SecretAsianMan 11-02-2013 08:06 PM

Did you use a MOST HUR unit to keep using the Bose amp or did you bypass?

usaf.ammoguy 11-02-2013 08:17 PM

If you mean the analog to fiber-optic interface, yes. And let me tell you, that Alpine with the Bose back end rocks!

The kit from A&E came with everything I needed. I also got the TR-7 Trigger Output Module that overrides the parking brake and transmission signals to allow you to watch DVDs while you are moving (something I have no interest in), and the backup camera (which I didn't install because who needs one on a car that's barely 15ft long anyway?). A&E thought of everything, pre-wired the interfaces, and put it all in the package.

But the thing that made the install go so well was the willingness of Shane at A&E to answer any an all questions along the way. He gave me his personal contact information and I must've called, texted, and emailed him more than 20 times during the prep and install process - even on a Sunday. He was always patient and walked me through any situation that came up; no question was too stupid and no detail was too small, he was always there for me. Like I said in a post above, I'll be using them again for future add-ons and upgrades.

SecretAsianMan 11-02-2013 08:25 PM

Yeah? That's awesome to hear. It sounds substantially better? You might want to check out the budget audio install thread too, ryem3 and others have figured out some great drop-in speaker upgrades that are inexpensive and make a big difference.

I have a bad back (car accident in 2008) so twisting around to look back when I'm backing up sucks mightily, two ribs on my right side dislocate almost every time... A backup camera would be welcome for me.

usaf.ammoguy 11-02-2013 08:36 PM

Hey Secret Asian Man, send me a PM. If you've got the same Alpine unit I might can help you out with that camera; it's just sitting in my garage in the original plastic bag doing nothing.

usaf.ammoguy 11-03-2013 03:41 PM

Hey Secret Asian Man

The blog won't let me send you a PM reply until my post count gets above 15, and I'm not quite there yet (a newbie). Anyway, my unit is an Alpine INE-W927HD however, if you don't have the head unit already the one you buy will most likely have the camera included. I thought you had this unit without the camera and I was going to send you mine gratis. Sorry it didn't work out.

SecretAsianMan 11-03-2013 03:45 PM

Thank you for the very generous offer - those cameras aren't usually included with the headunit, they are sold separately. As much as I'd love to take you up on that offer and go buy the headunit now, I have to be honest and suggest that you sell it on ebay if you're not going to use it. They seem to be listing for $100-150.