6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Road trips - how far have you gone? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/324293-road-trips-how-far-have-you-gone.html)

bzimpfer 12-08-2013 10:37 AM

Road trips - how far have you gone?

I'm debating whether to drive from SF to PHX and back in my 2010 C2S Cab.

No spare or jack at present.

What's the likelihood of getting a flat?

(I think it's 100% w/o spare and 0% w/ a spare):rolleyes:

Does 1-800-PORSCHE help in the middle of nowhere?

How far have you taken yours - w/ or w/o a jack/spare?

eldertec 12-08-2013 11:13 AM

Baltimore to New Orleans. Never thought about a Jack or Spare. What a Great opportunity, go for it!! Porsche Roadside and I have AAA! Then my Brother drove it like he stole it too LA. Had it trucked back to Baltimore. Intercity Lines! Just Do It!

fjpgt3 12-08-2013 11:28 AM

We take our C4S Cab (and previous Pcars) to Hilton Head each summer.8-9 hour drive each way. It's been a great road tripper.
Have fun!

semicycler 12-08-2013 12:20 PM

Dallas to Minneapolis. Mapped out all Porsche dealerships in major cities along the way in advance. Best 18-hour drive of my life!

eldertec 12-08-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by semicycler (Post 3997613)
Dallas to Minneapolis. Mapped out all Porsche dealerships in major cities along the way in advance. Best 18-hour drive of my life!

I know, they have Great Bathrooms!!

Macster 12-08-2013 01:08 PM

Driven from SF bay area to KC MO area and back many times. That's 2K miles one way, 4K miles round trip.

Only one tire problem. I had the Turbo road worthiness inspected and the tech cautioned me about the rear tires. They were down to the wear bars. I thought I could get at least 2K miles out of them and have them replaced at say Springfield MO Porsche dealer.

I managed to get to nearly Fresno CA (leaving from Livermore CA) before the car's behavior when braking clued me in there was a problem. Turned out to be two nails or something in one of the rear tires. Had to drive all the way back home and spend a night near the Walnut Creek Porsche dealer who the next morning I found out did *not* have the proper tires in stock. This forced me to drive to Sacramento CA where the dealer there had suitable tires and installed them.

Be sure the tires are in good shape before you leave. Have the tires checked for any thing before you leave. A few times I've had my cars checked the tech has spotted something in the tire and I've had the tire fixed (internal patch) before leaving.

If the tires have a slow leak get this fixed *before* you leave.

Once on the road I'm am very careful about driving through parking lots. I go slowly and I stay on the beaten path.

BTW, it doesn't even have to be a nail. I cut a Boxster rear tire real bad once when I pulled into a parking lot at where I worked (in MO) and ran over a large washer. The washer was from the marking nails the maintenance crew drove into the parking lot pavement to mark where the parking lines go.

The salt corrodes the washer/nail and the washers come loose and well, one cut the heck out of the rear tire and of course ruined the tire.

Another time in the Boxster I pulled into work (here in CA) and ran over some metal rod that poked through the tread and out the sidewall. Of course ruined the tire. (On another forum a Porsche owner did this and posted a pic and the rod actually went through the wheel!)

I avoid driving onto the shoulder of the freeway to say take pics. The shoulders can be full of sharp things. Watch for road debris. This means among other things allowing plenty of distance between your car and the vehicle ahead so if the other car passes over something you have the time to react safely.

Last but not least, I have premium car club membership and have my membership card and a charged cell phone with me at all times.

Oh, and I have bought tire road hazard insurance when buying new tires (I buy tires at my local Porsche dealer) -- last time the cost was $7/tire -- and this has paid off several times. If the tire has enough tread left -- 3mm -- and is not repairable the tire is replaced free of charge.

norton 12-08-2013 02:49 PM

took my 2006 C2s from Phoenix to Carmel by way of Santa Barbara and then back to Phoenix-- think it was over 2,000 miles. Drove from Carmel to Payson, AZ on a 15 hour drive (think it was about 640 miles-- LONG day). Only took a tire repair kit with me. Different trip ran over a @#$% atv key fob that trashed a front tire. Used the repair kit; drove 80 miles home and the tire kept air for over a week until I replaced it. Tire repair kit standard equipment in my cars from now on...

rankoutsider 12-08-2013 03:08 PM

Have just returned from doing over 6500km, Brisbane to Hobart and around Tasmania, awesome trip..

No problems, no flats, no fines :)

HotHonda 12-08-2013 03:21 PM

Some may disagree, but these do work for punctures in the tread.

devil boy 12-08-2013 05:56 PM

I've never seen a plug repair kit like that. I've only ever used those gooey worm type pluggers.

Domer911 12-08-2013 06:44 PM

OKC to Dallas. Made my ass hurt.

cerbomark 12-08-2013 06:57 PM

Fla to upstate NY. No spare/ jack. Factory can of sealant and walmart plug kit.

I would only do this on tires that are fairly new. Tires worn down 50% or more are more likely to get flats.

gonzo__007 12-09-2013 08:10 AM

man, forget about those potential tire issues...
here is what you need to do:
1: wait for a sunny day.
2: take the top down
3: start engine
4: enjoy the flat 6 music for a minute
5: put your favorite music LOUD!
6: drive!

buzzm 12-09-2013 08:18 AM

i've been on 5 or 6 big road trips of between 900 - 2000 miles in the last 5 years, with anywhere from 8-20 cars and no-one has ever got a flat (knocking on wood)

2 people have had mechanical issues, one was a power steering pump failing on a 2002 996, the other was over filled tranny fluid on a bmw 850

devil boy 12-09-2013 02:50 PM

I drove mine from SoCal up through Utah and caught I-70 through Colorado to Missouri and then on a second trip from Missouri down to I-40 through Texas to Arizona. It's a great road trip car.

Just recently took a round trip from Phoenix to Santa Fe up through the mountains and on the way back took the lesser traveled route down through New Mexico and found a ribbon of asphalt that wound its way through the NM countryside with only an occasional car or motorcycle every 10 miles or so. I love it when you find those gems where there is no traffic and wide open spaces off of the main interstates.