997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

convertible clamshell stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
convertible clamshell stuck

alright boys here's the dilemma. was out driving today in my 997.2 with the top down, went to put the top up and the clamshell on the right side wouldnt' go up. it was like it was stuck. left side works fine. here's a pic of how it ends up. can't get the top up now. can't move the clamshell on the right side, seems to be stuck pretty tight. will make an appt with my service, but in the meantime, anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3466oma.jpg
Views:	5043
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	350518  
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
wow that looks terrible.

i've never seen this

it looks like a mechanical (hydraulics) failure rather than the more common electric problem.

i would not even touch it anymore (or put it back in the 'open' position) to avoid further damaging the top mechanism.. and wait for dealer/indy to diagnose.

in the mean time, try reading the link below and see if there's anything helpful to u.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Mechanism.htm

note to self: get an extended warranty.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Silverbullet911 is on a distinguished road
There is a manual method of raising or lowering the clamshell. You have to remove the internal back panel behind the rear seats and insert the manual crank handle located in your tool kit found in the frunk. Had my clamshell mess up like yours. Manually cranked it down, then up to close top. Had it serviced, they had to resync the clamshell. All is good since then.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Silverbullet911
There is a manual method of raising or lowering the clamshell. You have to remove the internal back panel behind the rear seats and insert the manual crank handle located in your tool kit found in the frunk. Had my clamshell mess up like yours. Manually cranked it down, then up to close top. Had it serviced, they had to resync the clamshell. All is good since then.

are instructions to do this in the manual? will go look now too.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 PM
There are instructions in the manual.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Silverbullet911
There are instructions in the manual.
Just did it. Right side remains stuck. (Currently clamshell is in down position). Makes me think something is physically jammed because I can't crank up that side or move it at all either electrically or manually.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Are you throwing a code?

Old 03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
No errors reported by the computer.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:05 PM
glloyd78 is on a distinguished road
How did you get on with this?

I had exactly the same thing happen to my 997 4s cab on the weekend. Put the roof down and when I got home I could not raise the roof. Only the right hand side of the clamshell raised. The left hand side was not budging.

I manually raised the roof using the emergency procedure in the manual but it was a horrible experience and required a lot of effort to force it up.

Now the left hand side clamshell is not sitting flush with the body work and I am dreading taking it in.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:52 PM
msand9898 is on a distinguished road
Any updates on this?

Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Had this exact senecio happen. Take it in to have the system reset and the clam shell will work properly. Not a mechical issue, electronic.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Gogogo is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm surprised to learn this could be an electronic issue. Did you get the problem solved? I would check for obstructions in the mechanism preventing it from closing. If it looks clear, crank it down manually, then back up. Hopefully that fixes it for you.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Went through the manual crank process, but did not resovle. Drove to independant and they reset the electronics and worked perfect after. They said they reset many.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:32 AM
997tt_ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem, but at mine the motor for the convertible top or better one side broke.

Now i want to rebuilt it and have brought a new one.

Did anybody replace the motor, as i have some points where i do not know how to do it as my english is not so good and i only have an english manual

Old 09-21-2022, 07:06 AM
drottemberg is an unknown quantity at this point
hello something exactly like that just happened to my car 997.1 last night and I am stuck with the top down.

Did you manage to fix it and how?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: convertible clamshell stuck