997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I cant belive i was this stupid!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 AM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Did you use anti-sieze (Optimoly) on the bolts?
not at all

Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
when martidamm used to own a mustang:

Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by killacam
when martidamm used to own a mustang: Video Link: http://youtu.be/n1uTY3TcOuw
LOL, !! I would never own a mustang tough, only European cars, my wife is the muscle car enthusiast, camaro SS conv, yellow w/black stripes, I guess she liked transformers a bit too much!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
ps i now us a torque wrench on my lugs and no grease. lol

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by martidamm
Originally Posted by no1joey
I've never seen anyone tighten a wheel with a torque wrench..
go to a tire shop, dealer, Indy shop....
Or my garage. Guessing at torques is amateur hour and asking for trouble.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:05 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Use a Brown torque wrench every time I swap my wheels.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Tough lesson but could have been way worse. Kudos for the reminder.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:39 PM
thedips is on a distinguished road
Wow glad it wasn't any worst

Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
worse.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
One of our brothers here at the forum mentioned torque for the wheel bolts was incrrease in the sports cars to around 116 or 118, please verify, ft lbs.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
2011 C4S
My manual says 90lbs.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eldertec
2011 C4S
My manual says 90lbs.
Conflicting info - I always thought 96 ft lbs. From the 2010 owner's manual:

Tightening torque
96 ftlb./130 Nm

Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
One of our brothers here at the forum mentioned torque for the wheel bolts was incrrease in the sports cars to around 116 or 118, please verify, ft lbs.
I Googled and found this on the internet - from Loren at Renntech (usually a very reliable source):

From the service manual (2012 version)...
Silver wheel bolts (up to model year 2011) = 96 ftlb. or 118 ftlb. also permitted retroactively.
Silver wheel bolts (as of model year 2012) = 118 ftlb.)
Black wheel bolts = 118 ftlb.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 04-30-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
reminded me of a story with my dad taking the entire extended family to niagara falls in his chevy astro back in the day.

by fluke noticed his tire looking 'off' right b4 he was to leave to pick up the family.... lugs were loose. he said it was probably the luckiest day of his life.

going to check my lugs now.

Originally Posted by martidamm
No kidding, because I took the 2 wheels off with the 1 lift I forgot to torque the rear wheel!! I ordered 5 new bolts since the thread on the remaining 4 was compromised, better to play it safe,... Not sure how much they could have gotten damaged but for $30 for 5 new bolts is better to play it safe

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM
cbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud of
Here's my story regarding forgetting to tighten lug nuts. Last year I was bleeding the brakes on my 2003 Acura MDX and forgot to torque the bolts on the front driver's side wheel. the next morning while driving to the airport I started to get a wobble and loud noise as I was approaching the parking deck and it was particularly noticeable as I rounded the spiral turns to go up the deck. I didn't have time to check it out as I was running late for my flight. While on my trip I searched loud noise coming from the front wheel and I diagnosed the problem as a front CV axle needing replacement. So I called my indy and made an appointment and he ordered the part. After getting back to my car I checked my wheel and noticed that the lug nuts could be removed by hand. I pulled out the lug wrench and tightened the bolts and the noise went away. I was to embarrassed to tell my wife and felt bad that my indy had ordered the part so I kept my appointment and paid the $230 to have the axle replaced. I consider it a cheap lesson, now I double check everytime I do anything with the wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I cant belive i was this stupid!!!