997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I cant belive i was this stupid!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:58 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
I cant belive i was this stupid!!!

I just wanted to share this with everyone, so you go back and take a look at your lug bolts, the other day I took the wheels off of my 997, as many of you know if you lift the rear end of the car enough the front will come off too so you can do two wheels with 1 lift, well, apparently I forgot to torque my rear left wheel, and was driving with my wife to a wedding when a thumping noise started in the rear, I thought I had a flat tire so pulled over and looked at all four wheels, nothing, everything looked great, one minute later the vibration got so bad that I had to pull over and doublecheck what the heck was going on, I had lost one lug bolt on my rear left wheel, one was about to come off, and the other three were just barely hanging on, my wheel was probably 10 seconds from falling off!!!!!

All the other tires were fine, I can't believe I was so distracted that I forgot to torque My rear left wheel, so please guys, do yourself a favor and just check your lug bolts once in a while, it may save you from a lot of expense and maybe even hurt.

I am part of the big brothers big sisters program, I had my little brother with me in the car earlier that morning and we got on the freeway, can you believe what would've happened if the wheel had come off at 60 miles an hour!?!?!?!? Lesson learned!!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
wow. you are very fortunate. Once I was on a trip with buddies and we were in a suburban owned by one of my friends. It was a vehicle he and his brother kept at a resort home, and his brother had had work done on the tires, and left the lugs off the LR wheel. We drove 6-8 miles before the wheel came off the car and commenced to cross the highway and hit a guy head-0n. He ended up just fine, and so did we. We too, were very lucky. Yours was a happy ending to what could have been a very unhappy story.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
you are VERY fortunate but more importantly its a lesson learned (for all of us to double check).

super glad things are ok!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:09 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by myw
you are VERY fortunate but more importantly its a lesson learned (for all of us to double check). super glad things are ok!
No kidding, because I took the 2 wheels off with the 1 lift I forgot to torque the rear wheel!! I ordered 5 new bolts since the thread on the remaining 4 was compromised, better to play it safe,... Not sure how much they could have gotten damaged but for $30 for 5 new bolts is better to play it safe

Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Marti-DAMN! I usually do a wheel at a time and I always double check, glad nothing happened.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I check mine even after service has been performed. Believe it or not....more than once, one wheel has not been torqued down to spec...only loosely air-gunned on and NOT followed up with a torque wrench!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
when i was a stupid teen i thought putting lithium grease on my lugnuts
would make them easier to get off my fiat 124 sport spider, well turns
out i was extra right when one of my rears passed me on my way to my
sweet busboy gig. doh!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:53 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
On this subject what is the torque?

I just did all 4 of my wheels and just tightened as tight as I could with my arms and back. Did not resort to using my legs or kicking the tyre iron as I felt that would be over tightening, so am I safe?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 AM
cbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud of
I believe it is about 90 ft lbs for the lug bolts

Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cbst09
I believe it is about 90 ft lbs for the lug bolts
96 ft lbs - it's in the owner's manual.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
but tightening them as tight as you can with your arms should be fine right assuming you have the strength of a healthy male adult?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by no1joey
but tightening them as tight as you can with your arms should be fine right assuming you have the strength of a healthy male adult?
it should be enough, the issue I had is I just tighten them while the car was raised, enough to keep the wheel in place so I could go back with the torque wrench, that never happened......

Old 04-30-2014, 06:16 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by martidamm
it should be enough, the issue I had is I just tighten them while the car was raised, enough to keep the wheel in place so I could go back with the torque wrench, that never happened......
Did you use anti-sieze (Optimoly) on the bolts?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:16 AM
I've never seen anyone tighten a wheel with a torque wrench..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by no1joey
I've never seen anyone tighten a wheel with a torque wrench..
go to a tire shop, dealer, Indy shop....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I cant belive i was this stupid!!!