997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Painted or Unpainted Lip Spoiler

Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Romysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mccarthy_sean
This thread got me thinking. Did any 997s leave the factory with unpainted front lips (either standard or aerokit)? Are the factory original lips made of flexible urethane or are they hard plastic? Thanks in advance.

Sean
The Turbo front lips are unpainted.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Evil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura about
Several threads down I posted pics of my gt3tek painted lip car is lowered on h&r springs It doesnt really scrape on my SoCal streets The ground clearence loss is nothing like that of the Aero Kit lip Great design IMO

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140710_200329.png
Views:	227
Size:	706.7 KB
ID:	395918

Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
The Cayman S comes with painted, the Cayman with unpainted black. I swapped mine out for the black as it will survive better

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010459.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	395921   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010449.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	395922  
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Vital5er is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Evil997
Several threads down I posted pics of my gt3tek painted lip car is lowered on h&r springs It doesnt really scrape on my SoCal streets The ground clearence loss is nothing like that of the Aero Kit lip Great design IMO
What kind of side skirts do you have?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE="Romysc4s;4151104"]I'm about to install a GT3Tek front lip spoiler and now having to decide whether to install it unpainted or painted the same color as the car. Pictures below show both painted and unpainted versions. The painted one is my friend's car and the unpainted is mine. Note installation is not yet complete on mine. Just propped it up on the car to see how it looks like. What do guys think? [/QUOT

Love to see pics from different angles once you get the lip on (painted or not). I'm about to pull the trigger and get one as well. Thanks

Old 07-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Evil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Vital5er
What kind of side skirts do you have?
Full GT3 Tek kit including side skirts

Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Romysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud of
I installed the spoiler today unpainted. My car is lowered so it doesn't make sense to paint it as it prone to scraping the ground. Installation was a breeze. Fitment is perfect. As mentioned above, the part is made of polyurethane material and indeed very soft. Overall quality is very good. I love how it looks. IMO, the best looking front lip spoiler for the 997.1. Here are some pictures taken from my iPhone.

Last edited by Romysc4s; 07-12-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Romysc4s
I installed the spoiler today unpainted. My car is lowered so it doesn't make sense to paint it as it prone to scraping the ground. Installation was a breeze. Fitment is perfect. As mentioned above, the part is made of polyurethane material and indeed very soft. Overall quality is very good. I love how it looks. IMO, the best looking front lip spoiler for the 997.1. Here are some pictures taken from my iPhone.
Wow, that looks super nice. Any chance you could take a better pic of the front under some light? I can't seem to see the contrast but I'm now 99% sure I'll be doing the same on my basalt black C2S.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Wow, that looks super nice. Any chance you could take a better pic of the front under some light? I can't seem to see the contrast but I'm now 99% sure I'll be doing the same on my basalt black C2S.
Sorry for the crappy pictures. I'll try to snap more tomorrow with better lighting.

It took me a long time before pulling the trigger myself. Pictures just doesn't do enough justice on it. Until I've seen it on my friend's car. Now I'm thinking of getting the side skirts as well.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 AM
mccarthy_sean will become famous soon enough
I installed the spoiler today unpainted. My car is lowered so it doesn't make sense to paint it as it prone to scraping the ground. Installation was a breeze.
I think you were wise installing it unpainted, especially on a black car. The first time you scrape the lip you will be glad you didn't spend the money on paint. The way I look at it, these urethane front lips are consumables and should be replaced when needed. For some reason, scrapes and scratches on unpainted lips don't seem to bother me like they do on painted lips.

Sean

Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Swapped out pictures with better lighting. Still not the best shots but I'm not a photography expert by any stretch of imagination.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Phil_D
I beliebve the GT3 had unpainted and Aerokit cars had painted. Not 100% on that, but that's the way it seems. I understand the factory bumper covers are some type of high pressure injection molded polyurethane.
GT3 unpainted and Aerokit cars painted. 100% sure on this. I ordered my '06 Carrera S from the factory with the Aerokit and it came painted.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:46 AM
mccarthy_sean will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
GT3 unpainted and Aerokit cars painted. 100% sure on this. I ordered my '06 Carrera S from the factory with the Aerokit and it came painted.
Is your factory aerokit painted front lip rigid or flexible? I just can't imagine paint would stick to this aftermarket one I have. It really does bend quite a bit off the car.

Sean

Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Swapped out pictures with better lighting. Still not the best shots but I'm not a photography expert by any stretch of imagination.
Awesome. I just ordered mine. Gonna do the same. Thanks man

Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Painted is nice however paint will crack once scraped. Mine is unpainted, very so often cleaned it a sharp razor blade then polished the scrape with black Kiwi shoe polish.

McCarthy Sean said it right "consumables..."

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1499.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	731.4 KB
ID:	396270  

Last edited by tphan; 07-13-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted or Unpainted Lip Spoiler