997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sport Chrono gauge, illuminated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
skeeler will become famous soon enoughskeeler will become famous soon enough
Sport Chrono gauge, illuminated?

Hey guys, only had my 2010 997.2 for about 5 months, and never had a Porsche with the Sport Chrono package before.
I was wondering if the gauge is supposed to be illuminated with the lights on? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	558.7 KB
ID:	406582  
Old 11-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
I learned recently that the light only comes on when the timer function is operational. I have heard that it can be programmed, via PIWIS, to come on whenever the dash lights are on. Otherwise, turn on the chrono timer (I know, redundant), pause it at a random time, and go about your business. The bezel light will come on with the dash lights. The digital readout in the center will also be illuminated at whatever random time you paused it.

The downside of a random value on a gauge, IMHO, is outweighed by the look of having all dash lights illuminated. Without it, it's like having a tooth missing. I can't believe it was designed like that. If anyone has any hard info on the reprogramming option, please chime in. I plan to ask my indy to do it the next time I go in.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Dealer can set Chrono to illuminate with lights on or even on all the time, even with lights off.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It would be nice if it could be used as a clock when not being used as a stopwatch, like it can on the newer models.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
I find there's too much reflection on the windshield at night with the light on.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Can programming be done with the durametric?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Westgate997 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Can programming be done with the durametric?
Yes.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
skeeler will become famous soon enoughskeeler will become famous soon enough
Thanks guys for the info! Honestly.....I have only driven the car a hand full of times that required the lights on, and always thought it looked weird. I guess I could see how it may be distracting for some......I just wanted to make sure more than anything it wasn't broke.......

Old 11-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by skeeler
Thanks guys for the info! Honestly.....I have only driven the car a hand full of times that required the lights on, and always thought it looked weird. I guess I could see how it may be distracting for some......I just wanted to make sure more than anything it wasn't broke.......
I thought mine was broken, too. It just seems wrong. I don't drive it at night too often, so it was only after reading about it here that I noticed the reflection on my windshield. I only see it with my left non-dominant eye. It's hidden from my right eye by the mirror. According to my companion, it's very visible from the passenger seat. IMO, it's a small price that I'm willing to pay. Who needs passengers, anyway? Maybe it's even worse from the back seats. Yeah, right.