6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Would you buy this 2007 Carrera - needing opinions please! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/352472-would-you-buy-2007-carrera-needing-opinions-please.html)

Ynot 03-13-2015 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by myw (Post 4306271)
thats not completely true. ims yes for certain 05s; but the risk of d-chunk, scored cylinders is pretty much the same across all 997.1's. the block and cooling system is identical from 05-08... in fact i think the block and cooling system isnt that far off from the 996 as they suffer pretty much the same cylinder scoring problems.

i know personally 3'06 and 1'07 owner with d-chunk/scored cylinder engine replacements. driving style/climate plays a huge factor.

I am aware of the other issues with 997.1, just saying to minimized your risk with a later model. I don't recommend the 997.1 to anyone I know when they asked me about used Porsches. I say go with a 997.2 if you can afford it.

PoundCake 03-14-2015 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ynot (Post 4306835)
I am aware of the other issues with 997.1, just saying to minimized your risk with a later model. I don't recommend the 997.1 to anyone I know when they asked me about used Porsches. I say go with a 997.2 if you can afford it.

What if the used 2007 911 is a CPO with a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty? ? Would you still buy it?

Ynot 03-16-2015 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by PoundCake (Post 4307466)
What if the used 2007 911 is a CPO with a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty? ? Would you still buy it?

If the price is right and has all the options I want, sure, you will have two years to think about whether to sell it after warranty or not.

Jeff911C 03-16-2015 12:05 PM

this thread has gone to the IMS and dependability wayside. I'm happy with my new 07 Carrera, it was pretty well maintained given it has nearly 52k miles on it now. Engine runs strong and doesn't skip a beat... my only concern is that the 48K mile service wasn't done, the drive belt definitely has some age to it. I'm a do it myself kind of person, I can do most all maintenance required for the car. I am hoping the spark plugs are easier to access than the TT models! I couldn't imagine removing the turbos to install new spark plugs!

barncobob 03-16-2015 02:22 PM

Jeff, go for replacing belt urself, im no wrench and I did it in an hour,,only special tool need is a 24mm(?) socket

PatrickBateman 03-17-2015 07:36 PM

My neighbor down the street happens to also have a 4S, and at 56K miles, his belt was shot. More interestingly, when I removed it.... yes with a 24mm socket, what I found was surprising. A small pebble had gotten lodged onto the water pump pulley, and burned itself both onto the pulley and impregnated itself into the ribbing of the belt.it had split in half...(the pebble). Never seen that on any car.

So, I went about my normal service checks, and hand spun all pulleys which can spin by the force of my hand, feeling/listening for bearing play, and yes, looking for any obstructions in the male grooves of each pulley.

His WP bearing had quite a lot of play in every different spot I would manually rocker the pulley in my hand, and my 2008 car with 41k miles only had play in one area of the WP... so my pump imo was still in good shape... I replaced it anyways.

The belt if youre farmiliar with air box removal, is a 20 minute job.

Don't sweat the plugs on these cars either. any easy DIY... 6/10 for average mechanically inclined owners. consider replacing all CP's at the same time!

PoundCake 03-18-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ynot (Post 4308149)
If the price is right and has all the options I want, sure, you will have two years to think about whether to sell it after warranty or not.

So I bought the car, very pleased! The car is immaculate, except for 2 minor scratches which are hard to detect. Lots of power, lots of giddy up! C'ant wait for the top to come down! Happy Birthday PoundCake!

ENVē 03-19-2015 10:42 AM

No way. Stay away from that car unless he is willing to take something like $20-25k. Then you can use the remainder to get it up to standard.

Ynot 03-19-2015 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by PoundCake (Post 4309547)
So I bought the car, very pleased! The car is immaculate, except for 2 minor scratches which are hard to detect. Lots of power, lots of giddy up! C'ant wait for the top to come down! Happy Birthday PoundCake!

Congrats! You know it's not true until you post pictures. :D

myw 03-20-2015 07:54 AM

lol ... i do the same. or have rainy day funds or investments u can quickly liquidate if needed for wayyyyyy-above avg car 'maintenance' costs

Originally Posted by Ynot (Post 4306835)
I don't recommend the 997.1 to anyone I know when they asked me about used Porsches. I say go with a 997.2 if you can afford it.