997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Floppy Stick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jpara98
Will the .2 GT3 RS fit a .1? You are right, for the money I am not sure you can make a better upgrade.
Yes it will fit. See what they're going for now and see if you can get a numeric demo unit too. I have to admit, when I first went down this road I was intimidated by the numeric, thinking it was a race car part or something too extreme or non oem feeling. Now that I've felt the results of the oem GT3 shifter, I would do the numeric in a heart beat... and their cables.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Inspired by this thread, I jumped on the Suncoast website yesterday for a little Black Friday early Christmas present to me - an OEM SSK! I actually just had my shifter cables replaced under CPO warranty 10 months ago when they failed, but I'm wondering if I just rip these out now and pop in the Numeric cables when my indy installs the SSK ..... what do you guys think??
I can't comment on the cables, but I immediately thought the SSK should have come standard from the factory. You're going to love it. I still can't picture how the new cables impact the experience, but I've been very happy without them. Of course, I was very happy with the 997.1 until the LEDs lights came out.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Jpara98 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the contributions to this thread. Personally, I like the numeric shifter and will opt for the cables as well. Seems like an easy and economical upgrade.

Back to my original issue, for some reason my C4 doesn't want to go into first. It seams to go aways when warmed up. When this happens I have to release the clutch and then it will go right in....any ideas on what is going on and if the shifter change will help.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:33 PM
barbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the contributions to this thread. Personally, I like the numeric shifter and will opt for the cables as well. Seems like an easy and economical upgrade.

Back to my original issue, for some reason my C4 doesn't want to go into first. It seams to go aways when warmed up. When this happens I have to release the clutch and then it will go right in....any ideas on what is going on and if the shifter change will help.
Might be bad synchros which is not good news. I had that problem on a previous car and it was the synchros. Adjusting the cables made no difference and it just got progressively worse over time.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Thanks for the contributions to this thread. Personally, I like the numeric shifter and will opt for the cables as well. Seems like an easy and economical upgrade. Back to my original issue, for some reason my C4 doesn't want to go into first. It seams to go aways when warmed up. When this happens I have to release the clutch and then it will go right in....any ideas on what is going on and if the shifter change will help.
Is it a new problem, or something that's getting progressively worse? My C2S, with the SSK, can be tough to get into first when cold. The problem goes away once I'm warmed up. I think it's a common occurrence in all MTs, and more of an annoyance than anything. I've seen some recent posts by others who weren't too happy about it. Here in Miami, people start hitting the horn if you're a millisecond slow pulling out on a green light. Shortly after that, they start brandishing light arms. I've pulled out in second gear more than once.

Ok, perhaps there isn't much gunplay, but there's not much patience for slow pokes, either. I think the first gear issue is normal, unless it's gotten worse lately. I would ask my mechanic the next time I went to the shop, just to be sure, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it, either.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:42 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Miami4me
I can't comment on the cables, but I immediately thought the SSK should have come standard from the factory. You're going to love it. I still can't picture how the new cables impact the experience, but I've been very happy without them. Of course, I was very happy with the 997.1 until the LEDs lights came out.
Well, I just had the SSK kit installed in my 2010 C4S Cab, and as I had hoped (and as you guys had said it would be!), it is a MASSIVE improvement over the stock shifter. It is so much more fun to whip through the gears with the shorter throw of this SSK, and the shift unit is significantly more "tight" between gears as well as in gear. Given that this is my DD, this $500 upgrade is HANDS DOWN the biggest bang for my buck from a mods perspective given the significantly enhanced driving experience! I ended up leaving the stock Porsche shifter cables in primarily because they were replaced 10 months ago under CPO warranty, but I guess I may revisit that decision once I get used to this fantastic new shifter unit...

Many thanks to you guys for sharing your experience with this mod and for the motivation to pull the trigger myself - I only regret having waited 18 months to do it!

Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
hot nikon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Miami4me
Is it a new problem, or something that's getting progressively worse? My C2S, with the SSK, can be tough to get into first when cold. The problem goes away once I'm warmed up. I think it's a common occurrence in all MTs, and more of an annoyance than anything. I've seen some recent posts by others who weren't too happy about it. Here in Miami, people start hitting the horn if you're a millisecond slow pulling out on a green light. Shortly after that, they start brandishing light arms. I've pulled out in second gear more than once.

Ok, perhaps there isn't much gunplay, but there's not much patience for slow pokes, either. I think the first gear issue is normal, unless it's gotten worse lately. I would ask my mechanic the next time I went to the shop, just to be sure, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it, either.
On the island in PB, I give them the 1 nanosecond. And I would win the Kydex race…

Many of them literally drive with their mouths open. All of the time. Mile after mile.

Last edited by hot nikon; 01-04-2015 at 05:05 PM.