997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

ECU Tune and Plenum-- what's next?

Old 12-14-2014, 12:38 AM
PRSCH UH is on a distinguished road
Good to hear positive notes on the other mods. Hopefully you get the flash sorted out soon to enjoy. Keep us updated.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:38 AM
BigZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Miami4me
Patience isn't one on my virtues.
You must be my long lost brother then because me and patience despise each other. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BigZ
You must be my long lost brother then because me and patience despise each other. Good luck!
Bro, one thing I think we all have in common on this site is that we like speed. I can't live with no sense of urgency.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2379546824.png
Views:	84
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	409815  
Old 12-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Customer service at VR contacted me first thing this morning,mans sorted out what ended up being a very simple issue. The flash is in. Woohoo! Cudos on the support.

I'm just back from my initial test drive. Honestly, I'm a little underwhelmed. My low end torque feels a little flat, and I need to get to 3K to feel any appreciable pull. That could be the X pipe cats, but I didn't feel that before the tune. At WOT, it's a beast now. WOT was never really the issue, though. Hopefully, once all my recent mods settle in, I may perceive it differently.

The sound is extraordinary, especially when I put my foot in it. Obviously, that's not the tune. The sound alone is worth the price of admission.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:49 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Customer service at VR contacted me first thing this morning,mans sorted out what ended up being a very simple issue. The flash is in. Woohoo! Cudos on the support.

I'm just back from my initial test drive. Honestly, I'm a little underwhelmed. My low end torque feels a little flat, and I need to get to 3K to feel any appreciable pull. That could be the X pipe cats, but I didn't feel that before the tune. At WOT, it's a beast now. WOT was never really the issue, though. Hopefully, once all my recent mods settle in, I may perceive it differently.

The sound is extraordinary, especially when I put my foot in it. Obviously, that's not the tune. The sound alone is worth the price of admission.

I went through the same mods as you and felt the same loss of torque. I proceeded to add the fabspeed long tube headers and the car was significantly better. Another great mod for your car is the x-51 intake. Sounds amazing and lets the car breathe so much better. At the end of the day I had the x-51 intake, fabspeed headers and xpipe, bmc filters, PSE, Softronic tune, bilstein Coilovers and H&R sway bars on my C4s. I tracked the hell out of it and my car was nearly equal to the 997.1 Gt3. It was a beast. Before I sold it, I turned it back to stock and was amazed how incredible different the car felt (weak).

Old 12-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by White Rock
I went through the same mods as you and felt the same loss of torque. I proceeded to add the fabspeed long tube headers and the car was significantly better. Another great mod for your car is the x-51 intake. Sounds amazing and lets the car breathe so much better. At the end of the day I had the x-51 intake, fabspeed headers and xpipe, bmc filters, PSE, Softronic tune, bilstein Coilovers and H&R sway bars on my C4s. I tracked the hell out of it and my car was nearly equal to the 997.1 Gt3. It was a beast. Before I sold it, I turned it back to stock and was amazed how incredible different the car felt (weak).
Ay Caramba! I was hoping I wouldn't need to keep modding my way out of this. It really is a black hole with no end point. I wanted to avoid getting headers, but they may be inevitable. I'm not as sure about the airbox, at least about my willingness to make more intake changes. Your advice is good, but my wallet needs until after the holidays to recover. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Minor setback.
The dreaded CEL. My tune was supposed to get rid of that CEL. It did, for about 50 miles. I used the VR software and cleared it. Then 50 more miles, and it returned.

Dan at VR promised my a new file that would clear it. Great. I just hope it was caused by my cats, and not by my recent redlining. On the other hand, I think my ECU might have caught up with the other mods. The car is running great, and I've regained at least some of my low end torque. And oh that sound. I think my smiles per gallon is going to go way up.

Last edited by Miami4me; 12-16-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM
I'd love to mod but can't deal with the headache. Hope you get it fixed.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by BigZ
I'd love to mod but can't deal with the headache. Hope you get it fixed.
Thanks, Z. It has been a headache. Luckily, VR sent me a new file this afternoon. It cleared the CEL, but let's see if it stays off.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:43 PM
The saga continues . . .
The CEL returned. I advised VR, but it's a weekend, and the holidays. Nonetheless, I began this process November 30. I need to get it resolved soon. The car is running like a proverbial bat outta hell, but the CEL makes me crazy.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM
The saga continues . . . The CEL returned. I advised VR, but it's a weekend, and the holidays. Nonetheless, I began this process November 30. I need to get it resolved soon. The car is running like a proverbial bat outta hell, but the CEL makes me crazy.
Yeah that sucks. I think you should have someone pull the code and see what it's throwing. That way you know you are not just covering up a serious issue?

Old 12-21-2014, 05:36 PM
That's great advice, which I'm already considering. I need to go to my indy for a couple other minor issues. I'd have more peace of mind knowing that it's only the O2 from the cats. My bad for doing everything in such close succession, just in case a vacuum line slipped off during the plenum install, or something that could be isolated easily.

It is much more likely to be the new tune failing to compensate for the cats, but I appreciate the helpful recommendation. I hope to have a revised tune file tomorrow. My fingers are crossed.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
have u tried disconnecting the battery to have the ecu reset ?

Old 12-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
have u tried disconnecting the battery to have the ecu reset ?
I have not. My understanding is that disconnecting the battery did the same thing as "a few hard pulls." It can't hurt at this point. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:12 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
@Miami4me - about your 200 cells cats x-pipe is it 1st or 2nd generation? Used or new?

I want adding headers, 200 cell cats, and ECU tune to my 2cs but dread about the CEL headache. As for flat low end torque, biggest reason why i am going with crossed over instead of x-pipe.

Thank you for the info.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Tune and Plenum-- what's next?