997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Modern tech for old porsche (Radio system)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 AM
roelricardo will become famous soon enough
Modern tech for old porsche (Radio system)

Instead of installing ipad minis, or new pioneer or alpine Radio, why Porsche does not make something like this for our 997.1

This should be the option

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/23/c...ation-upgrade/

Old 04-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
They do... It's PCM 2.1.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:28 PM
I have a 997.1 very bad nav and no Bluetooth

Can I update my pcm?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:01 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
The best but most expensive option is to replace the entire head unit with an aftermarket one. Pioneer and Alpine seem to be the most popular. Check out Del Rey Customs as they have complete upgrade packages. You can reuse the speakers and Bose amplifier to keep costs down.

Less expensive would be iPhone integration or the like, keeping your existing PCM. The integration kits usually plug into the CD changer input on the rear of the PCM. The setup is very clean keeping the OEM look of the car.

The cheapest solution is to not use the ancient PCM Nav and get a Garmin portable unit. But I'm sure you already thought of this

Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by roelricardo
I have a 997.1 very bad nav and no Bluetooth

Can I update my pcm?
As mentioned above, aftermarket replacement gives you more features.

If you prefer the stock look, then you can update your PCM and add things like Bluetooth. I updated to the newest nav discs; I believe they are 2014 maps. It works very well. I also added an aftermarket system to add Bluetooth, streaming audio, etc. The one I chose is the Mobridge M2 Pro. If you want to keep the OE look, then this is a great option.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Wow many thanks, I have to think about it, I have heard that Dension 500 is a great product, what do you think?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 PM
I haven't experienced the Denison product, but I believe it is similar to the Mobridge product in terms of functionality.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM
oscswa is on a distinguished road
Why not something like this

http://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=217&gclid=CNye-fD9lsUCFc8kgQodXB4Atw

Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 AM
thedips is on a distinguished road
^^^ interesting never seen that before but doesn't look good because the faceplate is all BLACK and won't go with the volcano interior trim .

Old 04-27-2015, 11:31 AM
I had a bad experience with a similar product on my wife´s land cruiser 2013, same operation system, and is very Chinese, maps are out of date, navigation horrible, radio and many other functions bad taste even the icons!! no for my Lola (Porsche)

It has to be something very clean as some of the products we had talk about it, not even aftermarket systems like the pioneer or alpine!!

Many thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by oscswa

Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM
oscswa is on a distinguished road
You can always have panels repainted to match but I agree that it would have to have the same if not better operation and functionality than what I currently have and that is what is hard with aftermarket systems. I would hate to lose my PCM and sport crono functions that I currently have, which is why I will stick with stock.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 PM
bensurdi is on a distinguished road
How do you update the PCM? I'd like to have the bluetooth and all that in my car but want it to have the same stock stereo it has now. How do you install a new PCM (not even sure what that stands for) and where would you get it?

Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Install an aftermarket system like Mobridge to add Bluetooth functionality to your existing PCM unit. It stands for Porsche Communication Management.

You can add a PCM 3.0 unit, but this is a VERY expensive option. There's a thread on this site about the successful conversion by one member.