997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New ducktail on my 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 AM
bongoboyla is on a distinguished road
New ducktail on my 997

What do you guys think?

Soon I'll be looking for some front downforce as well.

Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Flat VI is on a distinguished road
I like it of all the wings out there this is my favorite look. Which brand did you go with and how was the installation and fitment?

Looks like a Misha Designs

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you the brand, though Misha sounds familiar.

I bought it from a friend who owns the same color and year 4S. He recently upgraded from this to the one-piece ducktail/deck lid from Porsche.

The figment was great. Had to do a little modification to the deck lid hinge-deck lid mounting holes so that I could let the ducktail sit flush with the B pillars without touching the bit behind the center brake light on closing. Then it was just a matter of adjusting the tail light fixtures to be flush with the new deck lid position. (not done yet in the photos)

But all that trouble was just to let the slightly raised new wing sit flush. The fitment of the wing itself to the deck lid was nearly perfect.

Biggest pita was the removal of the original spoiler and motor. Just a lot of chances to drop screws.

In hindsight, I would recommend draping a packing blanket over the motor to catch those things, rather than scraping knuckles retrieving mounting screws that fell down near the water pump

Last edited by bongoboyla; 04-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 PM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
Looks very nice! I've been thinking about installing a similar ducktail on my 997 as well. Wondering if any members have one to sell..

Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Nice. I like this Misha's ducktail with original bodykit. It's subtle and doesn't affect the visual balance with the front of the car.

Originally Posted by bongoboyla
I honestly couldn't tell you the brand, though Misha sounds familiar.

I bought it from a friend who owns the same color and year 4S. He recently upgraded from this to the one-piece ducktail/deck lid from Porsche.
The one on your car now is probably by Misha Design; and if the "one-piece ducktail/deck lid" that your friend is really from Porsche, it is the duck tail for the "Sports Classic" 997. But it is a special limited edition 997 and would be extremely rare to find it's original ducktail in the used parts market. Getty Design makes a ducktail that looks exactly like the "Sports Classic"

By the way, did you have to go to the dealer to disable the auto-up/down feature for the rear spoiler?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 PM
marlon 997 is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate it

Hi, Matt!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by simoncpw
...By the way, did you have to go to the dealer to disable the auto-up/down feature for the rear spoiler?
Not yet... But I need to get that done, along with disabling my most recent "service due" message. (I do all my own maintenance.)

Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bongoboyla
Not yet... But I need to get that done, along with disabling my most recent "service due" message. (I do all my own maintenance.)
Looks great. You were really lucky to be able to add a great looking wing that was already your color. I just got off another active thread here about adding an aero wing (which I have). You will likely need a new wiring harness to avoid errors every time your old third brake light wants to come on. This is in addition to the PIWIS reprogram. I bought one at Auto Atlanta for about $80. It's a very simple DIY install.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 PM
I actually got a new wiring harness with the wing, so now all that's left is the PIWIS setting. Any thoughts on something for front-end downforce?

Last edited by bongoboyla; 04-29-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:15 AM
thedips is on a distinguished road
Did he really get a oem ducktail from porsche ? If so what dealer got it for him ?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:40 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Back in the day we used a formula I cannot remember it exactly (too old anymore) but it had to do with downforce made in newtons, the width, the height and the angle of the wing. Though to be honest I doubt it will matter on a stock car weighing over 3000lbs unless your daily commute requires 120mph It looks nice though and in the end that is all that matters.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by MrPrice
Back in the day we used a formula I cannot remember it exactly (too old anymore) but it had to do with downforce made in newtons, the width, the height and the angle of the wing. Though to be honest I doubt it will matter on a stock car weighing over 3000lbs unless your daily commute requires 120mph It looks nice though and in the end that is all that matters.
Daily commute, no. But it might matter in turn 8 at Willow Springs

Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by thedips
Did he really get a oem ducktail from porsche ? If so what dealer got it for him ?
I'm not sure. It might be a replica.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by marlon 997
I hate it

Hi, Matt!
Hi, Marlon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New ducktail on my 997