997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 06-07 Carrera 3.6 IMS Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 AM
REKX is on a distinguished road
997 06-07 Carrera 3.6 IMS Issue?

So I have hopefully decided that I want to get this car. Yes I know its *only* a 3.6, but I'm moving up from a BMW, so this should be a nice car to get to grips with how a rear engine rear wheel drive car feels like.

A friend also has this car and he told me to watch out for this IMS bearing issue.

He said its more common on the 3.8 liter Carrera S.

But I'm not sure, I've done a bit of research but there seems to be SO much information and a lot of disagreements, like some people saying it exists and others saying it does not.

I am interested in one at the moment which is an 06 Carrera 3.6 with about 65k mileage.

This issue is kind of putting me of, because I know if I get another BMW it will be reliable as expected, but I really do want to experience this Porsche, and if it is good I would continue doing so going forward.

It's just a little worrying to think about having to pay for an entire engine rebuild.

So can you guys give me a bit of advise on how to approach this situation and how to go about making a purchase.

Cheers.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 AM
sober_owl is on a distinguished road
its around 3k to install a new ceramic bearing and clutch and seals and that should keep you worry free for another 50k miles!!! i also have a c2 that im going to get the fix soon!! the 3.6 was the better choice for me cause insurance was cheaper and a used engine cost around 11k vs 15k for the 3.8l incase it ever goes!!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:46 AM
juank20 will become famous soon enoughjuank20 will become famous soon enough
As far as i know, it's the 2005 997's that mainly have this issue.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
This is my quick run down based on my research when I was buying. Others can correct it or add details.

In 997s, the problem cars were earlier builds - around March 05 and earlier. I don't know the failure rate but it was high enough that there was a winning class action lawsuit against the manufacturer so those that were affected had some financial recourse.

The IMS in these cars could be replaced in a relatively easy fashion. So many will advise that if you have an early build car you should change the IMS as preventive maintenance.

After March 05 cars received a larger/improved IMS which dropped the failure rate to 1% or less depending on who you ask. This can't be replaced easily/economically so you pretty much live with it and it really is not an issue. Engine failures unrelated to IMS seem more prevalent.

My take is:
1. If you want to buy an early car, you can easily change the IMS and you are good to go. You can work the cost of replacement into your purchase negotiation and when all is said and done you will have a reliable car.
2. If you end up with a later 05-08, you don't really have to worry much. An '06 with 65k should not have an problems.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 AM
oscswa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rickdogg82
This is my quick run down based on my research when I was buying. Others can correct it or add details.

In 997s, the problem cars were earlier builds - around March 05 and earlier. I don't know the failure rate but it was high enough that there was a winning class action lawsuit against the manufacturer so those that were affected had some financial recourse.

The IMS in these cars could be replaced in a relatively easy fashion. So many will advise that if you have an early build car you should change the IMS as preventive maintenance.

After March 05 cars received a larger/improved IMS which dropped the failure rate to 1% or less depending on who you ask. This can't be replaced easily/economically so you pretty much live with it and it really is not an issue. Engine failures unrelated to IMS seem more prevalent.

My take is:
1. If you want to buy an early car, you can easily change the IMS and you are good to go. You can work the cost of replacement into your purchase negotiation and when all is said and done you will have a reliable car.
2. If you end up with a later 05-08, you don't really have to worry much. An '06 with 65k should not have an problems.
I completely agree.

Coming from BMW to an 08 911 was the best decision I made. Mine had 63k miles and now 77k miles and has had a clean bill of health. I was lucky that it had been serviced by one dealership all its life and looking over the service records it has only had a clutch and water pump replaced besides maintenance stuff like oil and brakes. In my opionon that is just as reliable as a Toyota! I am very happy with my purchase and looking back. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Alleykat is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by REKX
I know if I get another BMW it will be reliable as expected
Bmw and reliable in the same sentence? I guess it depends what car and year you're talking about.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Lolak is on a distinguished road
There is a kit from eps that you can replace the 05 and later model ims bearing. So what ever year you settle on, the ims bearing can be replaced. Failure rates were very low on the late model ims bearing, but its good to know, they can be replaced if needed.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
All things equal, always buy the newest Porsche you can afford. Statistically the 06/07mys will be fine wrt ims issues. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lolak
There is a kit from eps that you can replace the 05 and later model ims bearing. So what ever year you settle on, the ims bearing can be replaced. Failure rates were very low on the late model ims bearing, but its good to know, they can be replaced if needed.

So your plan is to wait until you know you need to replace it, ie you find evidence of bearing failure in your filter, and then replace it? Guess what, most probably too late. Better plan is to replace the bearing in an 05 preemptively and leave the later years alone imo.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 AM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
http://www.imsbearingsolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade

If I had to do it over again. I would go with the imsbearingsolution in the link above. They created the cylinder/roller bearings which are far superior to ball bearings. What also behoves me is why anyone would put ceramic ball bearings in an engine with moving parts.

cylinder/roller bearings have been proven time and time again in my industry where the roller/cylinder bearings exceed standards compared to the ball bearing counterparts with loads exceeding 4-5,000 lbs.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 AM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
They also have a cutting tool to do the upgrade for 2006-2008 997.1's. Genius.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Lolak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SCowboy
http://www.imsbearingsolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade

If I had to do it over again. I would go with the imsbearingsolution in the link above. They created the cylinder/roller bearings which are far superior to ball bearings. What also behoves me is why anyone would put ceramic ball bearings in an engine with moving parts.

cylinder/roller bearings have been proven time and time again in my industry where the roller/cylinder bearings exceed standards compared to the ball bearing counterparts with loads exceeding 4-5,000 lbs.

Can't agree more, EPS is brilliant for sure.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I got I('M) a (mes)S issues too when I don't get to drive my Porsches.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 AM
***** vs rollers: there are differences wrto rolling friction and ability to absorb force from different directions which favor *****. Load may not be an issue here where movement seems simple. Friction would be higher w roller and its larger contact area. Other factors may enter into choice. Idk which set up requires more lubrication. Wout constant oil flow ***** may fare better ??? Having said that the rollers look cool if a bit overkill for this application. I say '06 on, just drive it.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
One of the weaknesses identified in recent years by Porsche has been the intermediate shaft bearing (IMS bearing), which supports the intermediate shaft on the flywheel end of the motor. Porsche designed these motors using a sealed ball bearing that is pressed into the intermediate shaft. These types of bearings are typically used in devices like copy machines and other machinery used in dry conditions. In theory, the area where Porsche designed the bearing to sit is supposed to be dry. However, after years of use within the engine, it would appear that oil and contaminants from the engine seep past the bearing seal, wash out the original lubricant, and become trapped inside. The result is that the bearing now operates in a less-than-ideal environment and begins to wear prematurely. When the bearing wears out, the timing chains on the engine may disengage, and the engine will quickly self-destruct. When the bearing does begin to deteriorate, foreign object debris from the bearing circulates throughout the engine, causing damage to other areas in the engine. This appears to be one of the most common failure mechanisms present with both the Boxster and 911 Carrera engine

Read much more information about the IMS bearing as well as possible replacement bearings here.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 05-08-2015 at 04:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 06-07 Carrera 3.6 IMS Issue?