6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Someone Talk me into Keeping my 911 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/373175-someone-talk-me-into-keeping-my-911-a.html)

italdream 09-10-2015 08:25 AM

Someone Talk me into Keeping my 911

This is somewhat semi-serious but I really would appreciate some feedback.

I happily owned my 2008 997 for a few years and I enjoyed every second of it. I am now purchasing a Rover Evoque (Prestige - with all the bells and whistles) and my plan is to keep my P-car. The Rover will substitute a Toyota that I use primarily as a station car and the 911 will not be a trade-in.

Here is my dilemma. I have been driving my P-car less and less lately. I commute by train. The winters in the NY areas have been brutal and snowy with the 911 sitting in the garage, and I have been stopped several times by cops who have become pretty aggressive in my area, pursuing minor violations especially from sport cars - have seen a few others 911s stopped in the last few months. Incidentally, while I enjoy a sporty driving style, I am in no way a reckless driver, and would hate endangering myself and others.

In other words, with the new car arriving, I feel like I am getting less and less of an incentive to drive my P-car, which is already sitting idle in the garage for long stretches of time. Someone give me a good reason to keep it. Should I make it a daily driver? Should I join a Porsche owner club to at least keep interest in the brand? Anything to make sense of it.

phily911 09-10-2015 08:43 AM

You will regret it. I was in a similar situation about 2 years ago. I bought a 2012 RR Sport SC, to replace my daily driver. After getting it, I ended up driving my 997 less and I was heading into winter and decided to list it. It sold quick, within 3 months and even though it was winter I missed it and regretted making that decision. I also didnt realize how hard it would be to find another 911 that was better than my last one.

Fast forward, 2 years, bought a 997.2 and got rid of the RR and got a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (which is hands down the best SUV I have ever owned and possibly the best DD I have ever had). If its a financial decision then I can understand it. But my decision was made only because I didnt think I was going to miss it or use it enough to justify having it. I didnt realize how happy my last 997 made me by just seeing it in the gargae, as stupid as that sounds!

So, if you can keep it.

phily911 09-10-2015 08:46 AM

And talking about tickets, I have only been pulled over once in a 911 over a 5 year period. In my Grand Cherokee, pulled over 4 times in the past year!

markj 09-10-2015 08:48 AM

I remember I owned a lotus esprit. It was outdated, sold it, regretted it. Then I bought another lotus esprit, sold it, felt it was outdated, regretted it (until i got my porsche 997 !) I always have had range rovers also, still do. They are great for their purpose, like taking my kids to football practice, driving through muddy terrain (and my boy always asks me to drop him off in the Porsche!) I have been through many cars, I love my new-to-me porsche. Don't sell, you know you will regret later!

italdream 09-10-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by phily911 (Post 4398009)
But my decision was made only because I didnt think I was going to miss it or use it enough to justify having it. I didnt realize how happy my last 997 made me by just seeing it in the gargae, as stupid as that sounds!

So, if you can keep it.

Thanks Philly. Fortunately, I have no financial reason to sell it and the above seems a pretty compelling reason to keep it. Seeing it in the garage and admiring it still makes me happy.

markj, incidentally, thanks for your feedback on the Rover. A few people are telling me: don't do it. But I am doing it anyway :)

CoreyC2S 09-10-2015 10:06 AM

Is your car modified? Are you doing anything to merit getting stopped? I used to get a speeding ticket once every year, but I haven't gotten one in the past four years, largely due to a change in my driving style, and choosing cars that blend in a little (let's hope it stays that way!).

Find excuses to drive it on weekends or in your free time. Join a local club and do some track days or autocross; if that doesn't re-ignite the passion I don't know what will!

phily911 09-10-2015 10:39 AM

Corey, cars that blend in? You have a 911S and an RS6... Those cars do not blend in bro! haha

italdream 09-10-2015 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by CoreyC2S (Post 4398059)
Is your car modified? Are you doing anything to merit getting stopped?

Keep the good work Johnson! He might not admit in court but Italdream will fold under heavy questioning on this forum!!:)

I think a sport cars tend to attract cops in certain areas. I got pulled over once recently for 5 miles over. Oddly, it is the same road in the same town. Anywhere else my driving is fine. 2 out of 3 times, I was sent away with a warning, but I hate being stopped so easily.

Originally Posted by CoreyC2S (Post 4398059)
Find excuses to drive it on weekends or in your free time. Join a local club and do some track days or autocross; if that doesn't re-ignite the passion I don't know what will!

Some light tracking seems fun! Thanks.

OldBoldPilot 09-10-2015 11:53 AM

If you have to be "talked into" keeping your 911, you should probably sell it. This is a car that leaves no room for ambivalence.

italdream 09-10-2015 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot (Post 4398129)
If you have to be "talked into" keeping your 911, you should probably sell it. This is a car that leaves no room for ambivalence.

Com on now! Actually someone sold it and regretted it. What am I not deserving because I raised some practical issues? Maybe it's just a matter of making it my station car (i.e. My daily) though I cringe at the idea of people denting and scratching it. It's black.

MadWhip 09-10-2015 02:04 PM

keep it, or you will miss it.

Bara 09-10-2015 04:00 PM

I went to the dark side and bought a ferrari and though i was thrilled at first and enjoying all the extra attention one gets driving around in a f-car, i soon began to miss my porsche. I 100% believe in porsche's slogan that 'there is no substitute'.

If ferrari can't wean someone off of a 911, nothing can. I never want a porshe free garage again.

italdream 09-10-2015 08:23 PM

:)

Originally Posted by Bara (Post 4398319)

If ferrari can't wean someone off of a 911, nothing can. I never want a porshe free garage again.

So what happened to the Ferrari?

Bara 09-10-2015 09:27 PM

I drove it for 2+ years and recently sold it. Italians know how to make beautifully shaped cars that make all the right noises but they are not the best engineers. The cars produce a feeling of ecstasy and dread alternatively because you never know what could break next.

Parts and labor can be criminally expensive outside of warranty. It all depends on what goes bad and where one is able to source the part. Had a buddy that had an f1 actuator go bad on his 430 scud. That part costs 17k and nowhere else to buy it but the dealer.

I have heard porsche has the engineering, ferrari has the passion, and lamborghini is a mix of the 2. It depends on one's priorities

MrPrice 09-11-2015 05:07 AM

My 911 is heavily modified (an understatement to those who know the car) and it sits for long periods of time (it is close to 10 years old and only has a bit over 16K miles on it), for a lot of reasons, but I would never consider selling it. I look at things this way, life is short and so I try and get as much joy out of it as possible, and my 911 in one of those joys. If you can look at it as I do, well then there is your reason to keep it.