997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

camera advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:39 PM
vogt is on a distinguished road
camera advice

I am looking to find a good DSLR camera that I can use to take high quality photos and videos when I go on holiday

Any and all advice welcome.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 PM
vogt is on a distinguished road
I'll prefer the D7200. I'v had the D7100 ,and it's a great first camera.

http://thedigitalcamera.net/nikon-d7...he-difference/

Old 01-10-2016, 11:46 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vogt
I am looking to find a good DSLR camera that I can use to take high quality photos and videos when I go on holiday

Any and all advice welcome.
Totally off-topic. But I'll bite.
Canon 5DS R
Sony A7R II
Nikon D810
Pick one and be done.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:18 AM
bah212 is on a distinguished road
The article I usually send to friends & family when they ask me.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
I'm not a professional photographer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night!

Old 01-11-2016, 05:38 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Lot's of choices and all of us will recommend what we currently use but it'll all depends on your budget and future needs. (I carry a Nikon D800 DLSR with 3 lenses and an S9900 point & shoot)
DLSR is one thing, but the glass afterwards are where the money's at.
Like our cars. No use buying the car if your gonna use cheap lenses.
Camera's come and go every 4-5 years but lenses are good for decades.

And don't forget, lots of memory cars. Not just one big one. I usually carry 6 cards and switch out regularly because if all are on one card and you lose or it gets damaged.....
Video requires lot's of storage.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:55 AM
jrthe1 is on a distinguished road
I would recommend a full frame Nikon DSLR. The bigger image sensor allows for use with most vintage Nikon 35mm glass which can be found inexpensively and some have wonderful optics. The D610 is an incredible value which may get better as it is probably soon to be discontinued.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by jrthe1
I would recommend a full frame Nikon DSLR. The bigger image sensor allows for use with most vintage Nikon 35mm glass which can be found inexpensively and some have wonderful optics. The D610 is an incredible value which may get better as it is probably soon to be discontinued.
Sensor size makes no difference on the use of the old lenses.
The OP didn't mention what brand if any lenses he had previous.

As for Camera's a replacement model is issued every 3-5 years as technology moves forward.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:47 PM
TeamSpeed is on a distinguished road
Im quite satisfied with my Nikon D3300. You can take high resolution photos, same with other high end models but its not too pricey.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:48 AM
jrthe1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wc11
Sensor size makes no difference on the use of the old lenses.
The OP didn't mention what brand if any lenses he had previous.

As for Camera's a replacement model is issued every 3-5 years as technology moves forward.
Excuse me. Sensor size does make a difference. Be aware that there's a crop factor when using FX lenses (full frame digital lenses and the vintage 35mm lenses I was referring to) on a DX sensor due to the fact that the sensor is 1.5x smaller than a full frame 35mm or FX sensor. As such, using a 50mm FX lens on a DX sensor would have the same field of view as if using a 75mm lens on an FX sensor. The picture is seriously cropped.

Size ALWAYS matters.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by jrthe1
Excuse me. Sensor size does make a difference. Be aware that there's a crop factor when using FX lenses (full frame digital lenses and the vintage 35mm lenses I was referring to) on a DX sensor due to the fact that the sensor is 1.5x smaller than a full frame 35mm or FX sensor. As such, using a 50mm FX lens on a DX sensor would have the same field of view as if using a 75mm lens on an FX sensor. The picture is seriously cropped.

Size ALWAYS matters.
I'm well aware of DX vs FX sensors.
My point is that both will work with most the old lenses regardless of crop factor.
Compatibility is not dictated by sensor size.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:23 AM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
Any Nikon or Canon camera that fits your budget and has the features you want. If it is to take on vacation, size and weight are important considerations, so I would also look at some "point-and-shoot" models for portability. With the overall quality of cameras today, it's hard to go wrong.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 AM
stavros is on a distinguished road
If the OP has not existing equipment, I would expand the tech to include mirrorless cameras in addition to the traditional DSLRs. I moved from a Canon DSLR over to Sony mirrorless and could not be happier.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:02 AM
hot nikon is on a distinguished road
Mk. I'll bite, too.

What price point? $1k consumer body or a $6.5k pro body?

Bodies come, bodies go. You will have a lot more in lenses than your body(ies).

Buy U.S. equipment, grey market will not get worked on under warranty in US.

What do you want to shoot? Close, bright, and stationary is easy. Dark, fast, far away will get expensive. (Why do all these people do baby pics? Slow, bright, close equipment is the least expensive.) Try shooting race cars at night, from 100 yards away…

How much do you want to carry? A DSLR with a few common lenses is not something you put in your top pocket.

OP, really need a little more info from you…

Mirror less is the future, but not today. I know about the Sony A77ii or what ever it is.
Problem is not an abundance of lenses available yet.

For my bodies, there are lenses from 200mm Macro to 800mm tele (it's $17k, if anyone is interested).

OP, more info, better answers.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:47 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !

Old 01-16-2016, 08:34 PM
TheLex is on a distinguished road
Here's my 2 cents after having gone down this road. I have a Nikon D700 SLR. With the 18-200 zoom it takes pretty good photos and the zoom means I don't have to swap out lens very often. But the weight of this thing is monster class. When I'm on holiday, the last thing I really want to worry about is having to lug around camera gear.

So I bought a Sony A6000 mirrorless with the 16-50 zoom. It's so much smaller and lighter than the Nikon. And it takes great photos, even when the light is not great. I find I really don't need to bring the 55-210 zoom lens with me, although that lens is not very big or heavy either.

If you take a lot of landscape photos like I do on holiday, you might want to consider the Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Ultra Wide Angle Lens as well. It's a manual lens but since most landscapes are taken at infinity, don't be too nervous about it being manual.

IMO this kit will make you very happy and takes great photos. If you wait a couple of months the 36mp A6100 body is coming out, but the A6000 can be had a hefty discounts right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: camera advice