997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Key Programming - new key works fully; original doesn't

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:22 AM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Key Programming - new key works fully; original doesn't

Guys:

I have a 997.1 and bought an OEM 997.2 replacement to use as a spare key. My local Indy (that has PIWIS) programmed the new key for me and everything works great (recognized as Key 2, all functions work). However, my original key, which worked perfectly before, has lost its ability to remote unlock/lock the doors and trunk. The battery is good and the remote still lights up, but it doesn't actually unlock. Inside, the original key still starts the car and is recognized as Key 1 when starting the car.

Shop tried several times to reprogram but nothing. They thought that the key electronics may have gone bad? Any ideas?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Hard to say. I have 3 keys for my 997.1. I have the two original keys, plus a third that is the newer 997.2 style key. All three keys work perfectly.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Found this over on rennlist courtesy of user DHC

I had the same issue and also tried every iteration possible to get my keys to re-sync. The manual is not very helpful, but I finally stumbled on this approach, which worked great for me:

Lock the doors from the outside by using the key in the door lock.

Unlock the drivers side door using the key in the door lock.

Within about 10 seconds or so, open the door and insert the key into the ignition. DON'T START THE CAR!!

With the key still in the ignition, push the unlock button on the key.

Voila, you should be good to go.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by semicycler

I had the same issue and also tried every iteration possible to get my keys to re-sync. The manual is not very helpful, but I finally stumbled on this approach, which worked great for me:

Within about 10 seconds or so, open the door and insert the key into the ignition. DON'T START THE CAR!!

Printed and will try tonight! Thank you sir.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Update -- it worked! Thanks again!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
semi, another problem solved by you - excellent. I added to your Rep points !

Old 05-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Fahad M Alahmed is an unknown quantity at this point
didn't work

this one didn't work for me.

as key#2 was working fine, I've tried several times, but failed, one of my attempts the seat moved forward and nothing happened afterward.

2 months ago I had the lights control unit replaced and reprogrammed and not sure if that related/ caused the issue.

should I put the key#1 away when try this ?

the alarm starts peeping when just enter the key in the ignition : (

Old 10-05-2019, 03:46 AM
Decio is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazing HELP!!!

Hi,
many thanks for the help below!
The procedure works and is very easy.
Changed the car battery but keys stop working...
Now, everything is fine again.

All the best!

Old 04-26-2022, 09:24 AM
dvous0525 is an unknown quantity at this point

Worked like a charm!! Thank you!!