6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Has Your Porsche Affected Your Working Life/Job In Anyway? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/400831-has-your-porsche-affected-your-working-life-job-anyway.html)

OEkun1 12-23-2016 07:50 PM

Jealousy/Envy is a mutha bleeper...I find the same happens so as others have posted I'm very cautious about where I drive the car...doesn't help that I have personalized plates...but I work hard for what I have to they can kiss my backside

JDDarkside 12-24-2016 11:44 AM

Similar to one of the earlier posters, I was hesitant to take mine to work initially as I work at a conservative company. The CEO has a Z4 but said he'd never bring it to work, which may have also impacted my thinking. Then I just said what the hey, I'm not ashamed of it so I took it. Received a few compliments. One of the VP's now brings his Boxster, another drives her Audi cabrio, and the CEO even brought his Z4 one day. So maybe I started to change the culture as well? Not sure but I no longer worry about taking it to work. And there is a long sweeping on ramp on the way home that I love, I tell my wife that I usually leave the office a little earlier when I take the P-car. And get home faster. But that's another story

italdream 12-28-2016 07:38 AM

In some towns in my area, people drive $70K+ SUVs like they are candies. Yet, some may still have the perception that a 911 is a luxury vehicle. Indeed, it is, but it is not prohibitively more expensive than cars most people drive around here (especially if bought slightly used).

To avoid some issues that may come from this skewed perception, for years, I avoided mentioning at work that I owned a 911 (and I am in a profession, where this would not necessarily be considered an extravagant purchase).

I have also avoided mentioning it to old friends that I don't see often, to avoid misperception. I will also run into the occasional jealous person, or that acquaintance who is a car fan, but can't afford one, and wants to convince you so badly that smart people buy a Mitsubishi Evo instead. :):)

With that in mind, owning my 911 has thus far only brought me joy and satisfaction. Don't use it as a way for flashing wealth (real or simulated) and people around you will be just fine with it.

PoundCake 12-30-2016 06:16 PM

None of their business what I drive and very few people know.

Hwood 01-02-2017 06:05 AM

I received few remarks in good fun, but one guy creeped me out by asking a lot of questions about cost and financing. I can also tell that people now think I make a lot more money than I actually make, (my mom keeps asking, and I keep deflecting).

SCT997 01-02-2017 07:04 AM

This is a time I feel blessed to say that cars are my job so I can drive it and not feel bad at all! However my old job... that was a different story, I had to leave her at home