997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 C2S w/Range 5 Overrev 40 hours ago?

Old 04-22-2017, 01:16 PM
raidersfan is on a distinguished road
997 C2S w/Range 5 Overrev 40 hours ago?

I am looking at a 997 C2S for sale here, the DMR states a range 5 overrev at 40 hours ago. I know some people would shy away, others would say "no big deal, if it weren't a Porsche after all, nobody would even be able to tell there was an overrev". Thoughts? I really like the car out side of that, it is very clean and tastefully modded, low mileage.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
40 running hours is normally given to be the standard ie "if it happened over 40 hours ago and there is no cel or other problem"...On the other hand you probably know this already. What do you want to hear? It's not a plus for sure. My take on buying one of these is don't fall in love too soon and shop until you are happy. Maybe you can bargain for extended warranty of something if you want that car. Good luck

Old 04-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe post the DME report for us to look St. Your original post says "a range 5 overrev". If it's really showing g just one, that's a statistical anomaly and virtually impossible to occur so it can be ignored. How many range 4s and range 3s and how long ago?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raidersfan
I am looking at a 997 C2S for sale here, the DMR states a range 5 overrev at 40 hours ago. I know some people would shy away, others would say "no big deal, if it weren't a Porsche after all, nobody would even be able to tell there was an overrev". Thoughts? I really like the car out side of that, it is very clean and tastefully modded, low mileage.
In talking over overrevs with the Porsche techs they tell me they like to see at least an hour's run time with no signs of any engine troubles after an overrev.

Unless the number of overrevs is large (pick a number....) I can't say for sure but at 40 hours as long as a thorough road test turns up nothing out of the ordinary I see no reason to reject the car.

Be sure you give the engine every chance to manifest any signs of trouble, though.

Visit the car cold. Turn off the A/C you test this later. Be sure when the key is turned on all the warning lights come on including the very important CEL and all go off as the engine fires and begins to run.

Let the engine idle while you walk around the car but keep an ear tuned to the engine for any untoward noises. Distinct ticks, knocks, any exceptional noises.

After letting the engine warm up considerably -- 5 minutes and longer is better -- have the seller take you on a test ride. The route should be at least 15 miles long and give the driver a chance to demo the car as you intend to use it.

Stop and go driving. Steady state cruising. A hard acceleration (or two) and afterwards the engine should return to a normal idle with no drama.

Back at the starting point you switch seats and take the car out and over the same route and drive the car the same way.

You must spend time with the car on the road.

The idea of the test ride then drive is to of course run the engine. The DME will go through its readiness monitor checks and if it finds a problem turn on the CEL.

If there are any problems from the overrevs these should make themselves known during the test drive. Really, before this, but it never hurts to be sure.

After the ride and test drive then check out the rest of the car.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.