997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Life after Range 6 overrev moneyshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM
SBPORSCHE is on a distinguished road
Life after Range 6 overrev moneyshift

This last weekend I moneyshift my 997.2 GTS going from 3rd to 4th and instead grabbed 2nd at over 100 mph. It was a simple mistake. As soon as I let the clutch out I knew I'd misshifted and pushed the clutch right back in. I smelt a bit of burnt clutch but otherwise no odd sounds or reaction from engine. My heart on the other hand -took a solid beating. Had the car checked out (for peace of mind) at the dealership and the DME read:
Range 1: 900 ignitions
Range 2: 12
Range 3: 18
Range 4: 59
Range 5: 78
Range 6: 77
The numbers all make sense to me ...as you'd progressively build towards the peak and then back down.
The dealer said I should not worry about it for a second as the engines are made to rev..... And it was only there for a split second. However they did say that if I ever had an issue with the engine in the future PCNA would take those overrev's into consideration. If I hadn't experienced the split second event you'd never now it ever happened. I found a ruff approx online of how long the 77 ignitions translated to at over 9500 RPM (stage6):
Over rev ÷ 3 = RPM over limit ÷ by rpm at time
(the 3 represents one half of the cylinders)
Example: 77 over revs is:
77 ÷ 3 = 25.66 rpm ÷ 9500 = 0.0027 of minute.
My question for you is what if anything I should request and pay for as a test at this point to test for damage. The dealership has said don't worry about it and did not suggest any further testing. There are no check engine lights or any odd sounds/vibrations. I share all this for get your thoughts and to share my experience so others might learn from my mistake. (it's really really really easy to misshift.) The car was bought brand new in March and has just over 5k miles. It was meticulously broken in with an oil change at 2k miles.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Like they said, drive it. Perhaps and oil and filter change just for piece of mind.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:18 AM
DJSArcade is on a distinguished road
If something was broken, you'd know. I have driven the absolute crap out of every Porsche I've ever owned - I shudder to think how many overrevs I had, likely in the tens of thousands or more!

Enjoy the car and don't worry about what might happen. Porsches in general are about living for today, don't you agree?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
+1. it sounds like you caught it as quickly as you possibly could and saved any valve damage from happening. if you had mechanical damage, you'd know it. nothing to sweat now - just drive the sh*t out of it and enjoy it. i'm always shocked by the DME reports that come up on this board and the cars that some people will only consider. these are sports cars and are not meant to be driven like chauffeured rolls royces.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:01 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
isnt the whole point of the rev limiter that it prevents damage occurring when over reving ?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
this was a mechanical over rev. there is no rev limiter for that...

Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
italdream is on a distinguished road
Hi buzzm, the limiter only kicks-in if you over-rev the engine as you accelerate. Limiters typically block the engine gas flow or the spark. I hit the limiter once and it scared the heck out of me, although I now understand that it is mostly benign.

However, there is no way (to my understanding) to limit the over-revs in a moneyshift scenario. The moneyshift is a mechanical over-rev. where the speed of the wheels gets back into the engine transmission, at a time when the engine is set in a gear that does not support that speed.

Porsche will often use a readout with higher ranges to deny warranty claims (I read several posts on this point).

The other problem is that the car looses value since many potential purchasers will stay away from range 4-6. Many people lack the knowledge or risk-appetite to buy a range 4-6 car, thus use such condition as a bright line to avoid the purchase. Others, just do not know or do not care about DME.

Last edited by italdream; 06-26-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
yep, i knew that, i had a brain fart, been a long day

i wouldnt worry about it, i'm sure you would know by know if you had done any damage, and i bet if you ask 99.9% of people buying a pre-owned car if they are getting a dme report they will just look at you blankly.

Or maybe you have done a ton of serious damage and you should immediately sell it to me for a greatly reduced price

finding a nice white 997 seems to be like trying to a needle in a haystack

Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
[Silence from the PDK naysayers]

Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Hey on that topic - is it even possible to overrev w/ a PDK?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Hey on that topic - is it even possible to overrev w/ a PDK?
You can get a short hit into Range 1. I did with mine. Sport plus in manual to the rev limiter. I forgot I had it in sport plus and engaged manual.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
One could conceivably build a mechanical interface that would prevent downshifting when the revs would be too high, but the cost exceeds the benefit taking into account the frequency of occurance of the mechanical overrev.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Well, what I mean is - I've taken to jabbing the downshift button repeatedly when I want to get into the fun zone.

Is it possible for me to overdo that and cause an overrev, or will PDK save me from myself, downshifting only as far as is safe?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
I have a car in my shop with 60k miles on the clock and 40,000+ type 5 over revs and 29,000+ type 6, it is a 2wd drift car that is daily driven and abused very very frequently. The owner and I keep joking that maybe one day something will be sticking out of the block but I am not expecting it any time soon.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Is it possible for me to overdo that and cause an overrev, or will PDK save me from myself, downshifting only as far as is safe?
PDK will save you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Life after Range 6 overrev moneyshift