997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Drove 997 GT3 vs F430,

Old 12-18-2017, 10:10 PM
911nitis will become famous soon enough
Drove 997 GT3 vs F430,

In the last couple months I have been exploring the notion of buying either a Porsche 997.1 GT3 or a Ferrari F430 6 MT. So the only way to really explore these cars was to drive them and for some reason the stars were aligned so that there was actuially one of these cars and a dealer somewhat close to me. Now the price difference of these cars is quite different with the GT3 coming in at $86k and the F430 at a whoomping $150k. Funny is that since the F430 is a manual its commanding a premium and sellers been getting all crazy.

The GT3 styling is ok, nothing like the gorgeous italian lines of the F430. So I droive the GT3 and wow, this is a real drivers car. The exhaust note is intoxicatiing, the shifting is unpararrel, the suspension is gorgeous. Funny thing is that a lot people say the suspension on the GT3 is harsh, well not on this car as my C2 with PS9's on the softest setting was way harsher than the GT3. The GT3 screams through the gears, each shift is heaven as was each downshift. The engine, suspension and transmission are one with the car. Very impressive driving machine. The other thing is the cockpit, airy and spacious. Just the way I love it and when you look at the rear view mirrow and see that huge wing, wow its just amazing.

Now the F430. I remember test driving this car in 2007 and thinking it was the greatest so when I drove it today I knew this car was special. But when I got in, I noticed the cramp quarters. I also noticed the not so great driving position. Started the car up and you hear those glorious Italian horses. The exhaust note is incredible. Driving the 6MT was always a dream of mine and today was the day. Coming out of first I noticed the car might need a clutch, it only had 10k miles on it and I already knew it needed replacing. While you accelerate, the v8 comes even more to life, then you shift and feel as if the clutch cant really handle the engine? It was nothing like shifting the GT3, in fact it was quite the opposite. It felt as I was shifting a the last version of the BMW M5 manual trans that only came to the US because it was just a terrible transmission for the car. Was this really how the F430 shifted, harsh with no real control of the car. Was there an issue with the car? This is the F430 with a 6MT, shouldnt this be the best drivers car in the world, the answer is no.

The GT3 on the otrher hand is a yes yes and a yes. Maybe the styling cues arent there but man this is a real drivers car and I am now on the hunt for one.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
Your assessment on these two cars is spot on, I am on the fence between these 2 cars. Except I want 991GT3 or 458, the 458 still have a couple more years of depreciation but much more reliable than 430. But you can't go wrong with any of the 997 GT3, I would take that car over the 430 anyday. The maintenance and repair cost for 430 also steer me away from buying one. Good luck and post pix when you get your GT3

Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 PM
911nitis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
Your assessment on these two cars is spot on, I am on the fence between these 2 cars. Except I want 991GT3 or 458, the 458 still have a couple more years of depreciation but much more reliable than 430. But you can't go wrong with any of the 997 GT3, I would take that car over the 430 anyday. The maintenance and repair cost for 430 also steer me away from buying one. Good luck and post pix when you get your GT3
Thanks, took me a bit to get them. Still looking for the right GT3. Theres one available at a dealer called Autolinx in norther cal that has a gorgeous Silver model but after I got the records for the car it shuld it had a rodent infestation. Interesting, pass on that one.

Your choice is much harder as the 458 is a amazing car. The cabin is spacious. The styling, shifting, engine, suspension, they really did a number with that car. Now the new GT3 with Touring and manual trans, wow, I would take that over any Ferrari.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gotgolf52
Had both a 991.1 GT3 and a 458. The 458 street is one of the absolute best cars I have ever owned. GT3 is not even close. Love me some Porsches, but the 458 is a dang near perfect car.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Mikes997C2S will become famous soon enoughMikes997C2S will become famous soon enough
I have owned numerous Porsches including 7 Turbo's over many years. I have also owned several Ferrari's finishing with a 355. The Ferrari is more fun to drive secondary
to the more precise steering and great engine note. However, yearly maintenance costs are a nightmare. In conclusion, I recommend the Porsche 997GT3.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I have had the opportunity to drive a 458 Italia and an F430 Scuderia on the track, although both had the dual clutch gearbox. The 458 was like sex on wheels... what a fantastic machine. The F430, on the other hand, was a handful to drive. I don't mean that in a good way. I struggled to keep it under control to the same extent as the 458. It was a beast of a car, but it was not as easy to drive and not as interesting to me. It was definitely more of a track-oriented car, while the 458 was at home on the road or the track. I still plan to scratch the Italian car itch (again) at some point in my life, but I'll go for an older, analogue car. I'm leaning towards the F355 Berlinetta at this point.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:07 PM
SoCal C2S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have had the opportunity to drive a 458 Italia and an F430 Scuderia on the track, although both had the dual clutch gearbox. The 458 was like sex on wheels... what a fantastic machine. The F430, on the other hand, was a handful to drive. I don't mean that in a good way. I struggled to keep it under control to the same extent as the 458. It was a beast of a car, but it was not as easy to drive and not as interesting to me. It was definitely more of a track-oriented car, while the 458 was at home on the road or the track. I still plan to scratch the Italian car itch (again) at some point in my life, but I'll go for an older, analogue car. I'm leaning towards the F355 Berlinetta at this point.
I had a 99 F355 Spider with a manual gearbox. Had it for 5 years before I sold it and I still regret selling it. Just a fantastic car...my Indy could replace the belt without dropping the engine which is a talent (I hear). I love my 911 and would not trade for a 355....unless it was the one I had. The F355B is a better handling car than the Spider and you will be pleased. Just remember to do a PPI as they can suck the cash quicker than a Porsche with an unknown history.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Had a 355, 360, 360 CS, 430 Challenge, 458 and a 458 Challenge. I would recommend trying a 360 CS. That is still one of my favs. The 355 was a maintenance nightmare. A friend has a 430 and I much rather have a 360 CS over a 430.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:52 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
There is a myth about the gated shifters, and I have some experience (after 5 Ferrari's and 41 Porsches), including a gearshift 430. While the gated shifter does give you that great feel and noise (430 is very easy to drive if it is running correctly and you are used to it), but you will never be able to shift it the way you can in a car like a 997 (or a miata) with a SS kit. I also have a 4C and an Evora 400 (gearshift). There are some in the Ferrari world that will tell you that the 430 should have never been offered in gearshift (it was an after thought the 360 is gearshift is a better car, I have owned both), and they may be right. Recently I found time capsule and 1990 (precat ) 360 that had been in a collection since it was purchased almost no mileage (looked like it just came of the assembly line) and my dealer had put 23K (their cost) of service into the car. So I could not resist and added that to my list of cars. I am making many changes a CS TCU (so it shifts just like the CS) and CS exhaust, new steering wheel ECU tune (it will have the same power as a CS), what it will not have is the track style suspension, plastic windows, and no sound deadening which can wear on you fast (spend and hour driving one like a real car you will understand), I am turning the 360 into my version of a CS (I don't like the look of the outside either). I have been a member of Ferrarchat for over 14 years (carnut over there), and if you want to learn more about these cars and owning them I suggest you have a look over there. After owning 464 cars (yup not a misprint), I have learned a thing or two ( though at my age I have forgotten a few things as well), and there are many things that you can do to improve a Ferrari and lower service costs.