997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 wheels on 997.2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:01 PM
bzalforno is on a distinguished road
GT3 wheels on 997.2?

I am about to buy a 200 997.2.
there are several sets of cool GT3 center lock wheels with 9 " fronts and 12" rears available.
will these fit my car?
will they creat handling or brake caliper clearance issues.?
I have rolled fenders on my 964 when i bought track wheels/tires. will that be necessary here?
Many thanks to forum members
bob

Old 10-04-2018, 05:54 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
If you're buying a narrow body car and they are 997 versions of the wheels (not 991 versions), they should fit no problem as the 997 GT3s are narrow buddy cars. I run a get of 5-lug GT3 wheels on my wife's 997 C2S and used that fitment as a baseline for my custom Forgelines. If you're running the GT2 larger brake duct air scoops, you may need to notch them to clear the rim in that spot, but they're plastic and that's easy to do.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Petza914
If you're buying a narrow body car and they are 997 versions of the wheels (not 991 versions), they should fit no problem as the 997 GT3s are narrow buddy cars. I run a get of 5-lug GT3 wheels on my wife's 997 C2S and used that fitment as a baseline for my custom Forgelines. If you're running the GT2 larger brake duct air scoops, you may need to notch them to clear the rim in that spot, but they're plastic and that's easy to do.

I know it can be done but do you know what's involved in converting a 5 lug car into a center lock car and what's the approximate cost assuming you're not doing the labor yourself? Just curious.....

Old 10-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I assumed the OP was buying a .2 with CL wheels and looking to put CL GT3 wheels on it. Maybe I made an incorrect assumption or maybe you're looking at converting from 5-lug to CL or vice versa on your car. Personally, I prefer the extra security and ease of use of a 5-lug setup to the CL and don't actually know what's involved with a conversion. By extra security, I mean with a CL, nut comes loose for some reason and wheel goes flying off vs with 5 lug where a bolt or bolts get loose, you get some wobble before completely jettisoning the wheel and it's unlikely all 5 lug nuts or bolts would come off at the same time. IMO, CLs belong on a track where the pit crew is using a gun to change the wheel and only wants to deal with one nut per wheel to save 2 seconds. I have extra time. I do know that on the CL wheels, the alignment nubs that keep the wheel from rotating when torqued down are a wear item with a replacement interval. Can't think of a good reason to go from 5-lug to CL, but plenty to go from CL to 5-lug, especially if PCCB rotors are involved and you don't want to risk chipping one (dual guide pins during wheel removal).

Old 10-05-2018, 05:22 PM
bzalforno is on a distinguished road
Dead on arrival. I forgot about the issue of converting the 5 lug to center lock. thanks for the direction. that's why these communities are so great.
bz

Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Petza914
I assumed the OP was buying a .2 with CL wheels and looking to put CL GT3 wheels on it. Maybe I made an incorrect assumption or maybe you're looking at converting from 5-lug to CL or vice versa on your car. Personally, I prefer the extra security and ease of use of a 5-lug setup to the CL and don't actually know what's involved with a conversion. By extra security, I mean with a CL, nut comes loose for some reason and wheel goes flying off vs with 5 lug where a bolt or bolts get loose, you get some wobble before completely jettisoning the wheel and it's unlikely all 5 lug nuts or bolts would come off at the same time. IMO, CLs belong on a track where the pit crew is using a gun to change the wheel and only wants to deal with one nut per wheel to save 2 seconds. I have extra time. I do know that on the CL wheels, the alignment nubs that keep the wheel from rotating when torqued down are a wear item with a replacement interval. Can't think of a good reason to go from 5-lug to CL, but plenty to go from CL to 5-lug, especially if PCCB rotors are involved and you don't want to risk chipping one (dual guide pins during wheel removal).

Well.....he said he was buying a "200 997.2" which I assumed was meant to be a 2009 997.2 which would have 5 lug wheels. Moot point. Just saw his response where he confirmed just that if I understand him correctly.