997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2006 997.1 Carrera S Steering Wheel - Best option for Alcantara?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM
ultrahuck is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 997.1 Carrera S Steering Wheel - Best option for Alcantara?

I have the full leather sand beige steering wheel and airbag in my 2006 997 Carrera S Cab. I want to redo the steering wheel in black alcantara, either by sending mine somewhere to be rewrapped or buying a replacement outright and a black airbag . . . . . without going new and spending a fortune. Suggestions? I would be happy to do a trade if anyone has what I'm seeking. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:40 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ultrahuck

I have the full leather sand beige steering wheel and airbag in my 2006 997 Carrera S Cab. I want to redo the steering wheel in black alcantara, either by sending mine somewhere to be rewrapped or buying a replacement outright and a black airbag . . . . . without going new and spending a fortune. Suggestions? I would be happy to do a trade if anyone has what I'm seeking. Thanks in advance.

As long as you're ok with the same style wheel as your current one, either one of these will probably be your best bet since they both do core exchanges.

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm
http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_987.html

Should be less than half of the cost of a new alcantara wheel from Suncoast where they're asking $1,295: https://www.suncoastporsche.com/suncoast-parts.htm

I've bought two core exchange wheels from Dallas. I think both were less than $500 and very good craftsmanship in my opinion. Great relatively inexpensive mod that you won't regret. In your hands and in your face every minute you're in the car. Personal choice but I would add the optional thickness while at it. Did it to both the ones I bought and wouldn't have it any other way. Pictures attached of the two wheels I bought from Dallas.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 AM
ultrahuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Beautiful wheels! Thanks for the wonderful pictures. I'd like to go with another wheel design and also a black airbag, but weighing costs, etc. if I go that route. I like your wheel with the combo of perforated leather and alcantara. I have a similar wheel in my MINI Cooper S . . . . . and as you said it's in your face and in your hands and makes a world of difference in your driving experience. Again, thanks. Right now, the slick beige leather really has to go.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ultrahuck
Beautiful wheels! Thanks for the wonderful pictures. I'd like to go with another wheel design and also a black airbag, but weighing costs, etc. if I go that route. I like your wheel with the combo of perforated leather and alcantara. I have a similar wheel in my MINI Cooper S . . . . . and as you said it's in your face and in your hands and makes a world of difference in your driving experience. Again, thanks. Right now, the slick beige leather really has to go.
Glad to help. And I agree that the slick and skinny OEM leather on the 997 steering wheels are more than a few grades below what should be expected in a car at this price point. Check with the two shops I linked to if you want to swap for a different design wheel. They may have what you want and may be short on what you have where you can still strike a core exchange deal.

This may be obvious but I don't think I mentioned that you can specify the stitching color as well as the kind of material covering the wheel. The reason I didn't do alcantara all the way around is that it doesn't wear well and is difficult to freshen up too once it starts to look a bit used. Also....the wheel with alcantara, perforated leather and red stitching has 40,000 miles on it now and still looks new. Mostly because I put the alcantara where you usually don't put your hands.. The perforated leather shows no wear at all.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough

Dallas Custom Steering Wheels did the steering wheel on my original '71 914-6 and it is beautiful. I had them double wrap it to add a little thickness to the rim. They do excellent work. My car is just being assembled after a complete restoration. Should be back on the road by July.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:18 PM
MAS2625 is an unknown quantity at this point
ultrahuck,
Did you end up replacing or restoring your steering wheel? I have the exact same Carrera S Steering Wheel on my 2007 997 Cab in sand/beige which I very much like, however the silver/gray pieces are peeling and in need of repair or replace. I don't know if I can just replace those 3 pieces or if I need to replace the whole steering wheel. Any advice with any of the suggested vendors?

Old 09-17-2019, 05:04 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MAS2625
ultrahuck,
Did you end up replacing or restoring your steering wheel? I have the exact same Carrera S Steering Wheel on my 2007 997 Cab in sand/beige which I very much like, however the silver/gray pieces are peeling and in need of repair or replace. I don't know if I can just replace those 3 pieces or if I need to replace the whole steering wheel. Any advice with any of the suggested vendors?
Suncoast parts sells those 3 trim pieces on their website. It’ll be about $300 for all 3, and you have to remove the airbag to get to the torx screws to remove and replace them.