6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Homelink Question (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/57321-homelink-question.html)

Tony (FL) 08-31-2006 08:07 PM

Homelink Question

Is there any reason that Porsche places the transmitter for the Homelink in the front bumper instead of the upper windshield? I get terrible range on my Homelink in my C4S compared to any other car or truck I have owned.

Hussain 09-01-2006 01:04 AM

I'm just thankful they finally integrated it. I hated carrying those huge openers with the ****ty batteries in my center console.

djantlive 09-01-2006 01:15 AM

you can extend range on the garage opener by turning a knob or adding an antennae (like a longer wire).

grussell 09-01-2006 09:48 AM

works great for me!

mdrums 09-01-2006 10:25 AM

I can't get the Homlink to work on my garage door!!!!! the instructions are confusing too.

Shawn C 09-01-2006 11:42 AM

Neither can I, I think you have to be a neucluear physisist, And I cant even spell Neucleear physsisist

jhbrennan 09-01-2006 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mdrums
I can't get the Homlink to work on my garage door!!!!! the instructions are confusing too.

I think the best place to go for instructions is the Homelink website. The Porsche instrcutions work but you can't miss a step especially with a rolling code opener.

http://www.homelink.com

Eric (Plug Guy) 09-01-2006 12:49 PM

Try extending the wire on your motor for the opener itself. Get some decent gauge wire and splice/join it to your existing dog-tail hanging off the motor, and keep it out of the path of the mechanicals, but move it along the path closer to the edge of the door.

Yeah, homelink stuff can be tricky. I have several cars with it, and programming can be a *****. Some you just hit the button and the motor reset switch, others you need six hands, 3 openers, 2 extra people, ladders, etc.

JCS 09-01-2006 12:56 PM

Actually, I had no trouble programming it in the Porsche.
( But I never got it to work in my MB or Audi )

mdrums 09-01-2006 05:29 PM

Eric, yeah...the other night I had myself reading instructions, the wife with the garage door opener, next door neighbor on the ladder and my friend in the car...all trying to program this dang thing. I have a rolling code opener that is only 2 years old. I can not get my BMW X5 homelink to work either.

Red Blur 09-02-2006 01:54 AM

On my old S2000 my cousin somehow programmed it, so when I flashed my brights, it would open the garage door. To this day, that's the best mod, I've ever had on a car. Everytime I came home I felt like James Bond... :)

2thfixr 09-02-2006 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
Is there any reason that Porsche places the transmitter for the Homelink in the front bumper instead of the upper windshield? I get terrible range on my Homelink in my C4S compared to any other car or truck I have owned.

I have a pretty long driveway and I don't have any range issues at all with mine.

It's pretty easy to program as well. I know you guys can read and it is outlined in the manual but here is my version of the programming instructions. Honestly, I haven't read the instructions in 11 years or so and you certainly don't need 2-3 people. If you need it, get a step ladder or something to make sure you can touch the back of your opener. Most people make the mistake of thinking they have rush but if you plan your steps you have plenty of time.

1.Hold down the homelink button you want to program until it flashes quickly.
2.Then hold down your original remote button while still holding the homelink button.
3.When the light stops flashing quickly, let go of both buttons
4.Go to your opener and press the white square button. A little orange light will come on.
5.Go to your car and press the homelink button until the light on your opener flashes.
Done.

It takes about 2 mins and all you have to do is walk once to your opener and back to your car. If your car is in the garage, you don't even have to walk.

jhbrennan 09-02-2006 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I have a pretty long driveway and I don't have any range issues at all with mine.

It's pretty easy to program as well. I know you guys can read and it is outlined in the manual but here is my version of the programming instructions. Honestly, I haven't read the instructions in 11 years or so and you certainly don't need 2-3 people. If you need it, get a step ladder or something to make sure you can touch the back of your opener. Most people make the mistake of thinking they have rush but if you plan your steps you have plenty of time.

1.Hold down the homelink button you want to program until it flashes quickly.
2.Then hold down your original remote button while still holding the homelink button.
3.When the light stops flashing quickly, let go of both buttons
4.Go to your opener and press the white square button. A little orange light will come on.
5.Go to your car and press the homelink button until the light on your opener flashes.
Done.

It takes about 2 mins and all you have to do is walk once to your opener and back to your car. If your car is in the garage, you don't even have to walk.

One other tip - unlike most other vehicles the Porsche Homelink can only be activated when the ignition is on...so be sure to have it on when your going through all the programming steps. Programming worked first time for me and I have an 8 year old rolling program Genie.

Richard997 09-05-2006 04:52 AM

Mmmmm......mmm......it wasn't that hard to program the thing......?!?!

g5pilot 09-13-2013 07:06 PM

and what does it mean if the LED in the overhead panel NEVER lights/flashes with any combination of switch pushing/holding? (2005 911 S)