Aston Martin Vendor Classifieds vendor classified area...do not post here unless you are a forum sponsor

New project, gauging interest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
New project, gauging interest

I've unfortunately suffered a brake light failure due to the water leakage/condensation issue on my Vantage.

I took the light apart to see if I could troubleshoot what was going on, but didn't have any luck (the LED board is quite complex, and not all components are labeled). There appears to be a bit of a coating on the board, but it does not cover the SMT components very well, where there would be the most risk of shorting due to corrosion products. This design probably dates from around 2003-2004 or so, and LED drivers have come a long way since then.

Here is the board I removed:

My solution, is to come up with a new design using more modern components. It'll have a good thick conformal coat for protection, and be a direct replacement.

Here is an image of the prototype PCB boards before components are soldered on - I hope to get the first test one completed this week, pending receipt of some components, so I can drive my car again

I'd like to gauge how many people have run into this, and would be interested in a replacement instead of having to buy a new light? The replacement price will probably be around 200$ to have a failed light re-build. I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi Matt... HAPPY New Year!
Nice board...So far I have been lucky no problems with my 09 back lights.

You may need to ask if the problems continued with the clear lights too. I have the original red. Which you always read are problems.

This time of the year all you read is everyone has their cars in storage. I use my car whenever I can except in cold weather that can crack the summer tires and not safe driving.

You may want to post at piston heads too.

Your lift pads are great. I will be using soon again when replacing my front rotors and brakes all around.

Evening...Duke
​​​​​

Old 01-21-2018, 08:02 AM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
Hi Matt,

I'm in if you decide to do this. I *think* I successfully resealed my drivers side light after noticing condensation after first taking delivery of the car. However, buying a couple of these boards is cheap insurance for any potential future problems. Not only is it WAY cheaper than buying new lights, but who knows how long AM will continue manufacturing tail lamps for these cars? Count me in.

-Dan

Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Will a modern board allow us to use LEDs in the tails?

Old 01-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Hi lilseevs,
The taillights are already LED. There are 4 separate circuits - brake, direction, fog and running. The reverse lights are normal incandescent (so if your 70 cent incandescent bulb fails, you get to buy an 1800$ taillight....) It's mind boggling that someone thought that sealing in a standard bulb was thought to be a good idea....

Old 01-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
What? I never really paid attention that the reverse lights are inside this unit as I am inside the car when the reverse lights are on...LOL I learn something new each day. Thanks Matt!

Hey, now that Rich is in Florida. You and him should get together...let him do the parts and marketing with both working together to develop parts. You set up the car repair shop. You guys would do good, I bet. Hey, a lot of the guys here I bet would use you and him.