Aston Martin Vendor Classifieds vendor classified area...do not post here unless you are a forum sponsor

Supercharger or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
RHS Mock-UP was finished on Monday

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 AM
MadeInPorshe will become famous soon enoughMadeInPorshe will become famous soon enough
Looking good
I can't wait to see more progress on that build

Old 02-05-2016, 12:35 PM
bunob is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Nice project Stuart

Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
got one will become famous soon enough
did I mention, I want factory reliability for someone who does 4-500 mile drives a few times a year...

Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by got one
did I mention, I want factory reliability for someone who does 4-500 mile drives a few times a year...
I don't see why that should be a problem, depending upon your definition of 'factory reliability.' You should be able to expect to drive the car hard, with no error states presenting, within a reasonable operating window.

However, simply by virtue of adding 200 BHP to your output, you will be placing higher wear rates on a number of components. Fortunately, things like gearbox, hubs, driveshafts etc are all at 'factory reliability' at similar output levels in things like the V12V, V12VS, GT12, etc... If you put a twin turbo system (or supercharger or any forced induction) onto your engine, you will be shortening the serviceable life of that engine, without question. By how much is a good question. We wouldn't be undertaking this project if we didn't think that the engine could handle the output over 10's of thousands of miles of use. If it was going to need major maintenance after a couple of 1/4 mile runs that would not be an acceptable compromise. However, given intelligent and sensitive use (proper warm up and cool down procedures etc.) and regular maintenance there is no reason one could not expect an V8 running these types of boost levels to operate reliably for many years.

BUT - you should not expect that engine to last as long as if it were left in its existing state. So it depends very much on your definition of 'factory reliability.'

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-08-2016, 02:17 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Twin turbo

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I don't see why that should be a problem, depending upon your definition of 'factory reliability.' You should be able to expect to drive the car hard, with no error states presenting, within a reasonable operating window.

However, simply by virtue of adding 200 BHP to your output, you will be placing higher wear rates on a number of components. Fortunately, things like gearbox, hubs, driveshafts etc are all at 'factory reliability' at similar output levels in things like the V12V, V12VS, GT12, etc... If you put a twin turbo system (or supercharger or any forced induction) onto your engine, you will be shortening the serviceable life of that engine, without question. By how much is a good question. We wouldn't be undertaking this project if we didn't think that the engine could handle the output over 10's of thousands of miles of use. If it was going to need major maintenance after a couple of 1/4 mile runs that would not be an acceptable compromise. However, given intelligent and sensitive use (proper warm up and cool down procedures etc.) and regular maintenance there is no reason one could not expect an V8 running these types of boost levels to operate reliably for many years.

BUT - you should not expect that engine to last as long as if it were left in its existing state. So it depends very much on your definition of 'factory reliability.'
Looking impressive. It's gonna be a tight fit!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
This is the most exciting AM project I have seen in years. Are you targeting the 4.3 or will it also work with a 4.7?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by jaymoney
This is the most exciting AM project I have seen in years. Are you targeting the 4.3 or will it also work with a 4.7?
It will fit both.

We are engineering into the kit, some upward capacity as I already have significant interest in a 'Stage 2' 900-1000BHP kit with built engine, GT3 halfshafts, etc, etc.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-08-2016, 10:40 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Neither, you can make stupid power NA on these Cosworth Ford V8s.

Eurocharged tune & high flow cats better 60hp @ crank alone. With a set of headers you are looki at probably close to 80hp. You don't need more power than that.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Neither, you can make stupid power NA on these Cosworth Ford V8s.

Eurocharged tune & high flow cats better 60hp @ crank alone. With a set of headers you are looki at probably close to 80hp. You don't need more power than that.
Thanks again for another useful contribution....

1. No it doesn't.
2. +80BHP = 460BHP on a 4.3, so everyone who has a V12V, V12VS, C7 Corvette, any sort of Lamborghini (oh wait, didn't you claim to own one?) Ferrari, etc. has too much power?

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Adding parts doesn't add power in simple math terms. A set of headers might add 30 HP to stock car, but only 5 HP to a car with high-flow cats and a tune. Because all the "Added xx HP" statements refer to peak HP gains.

Power can be added (and lost) across the entire rev range. So a 20 HP gain could happen well below peak power. In that circumstance, you could gain 20 HP on a 430 HP car and still only make 430 HP. Peak power isn't changed, but the power curve is.

Saying each modification adds a specific amount of power generally provides incorrect information, and adding each power increase per mod doesn't work.

Not only is HP added (or lost), but so is torque. A modification might lose you 5 HP but gain you 20 lb-ft (TQ). Losing HP might seem like a bad thing, but what if you spend all your time using lower revs? If I never hit 7k RPM in a truck, why would I care about a 5 HP loss when I've gained 20 TQ down low, which is where the truck gets used? Not just trucks, but also cars with automatic transmissions benefit greatly from increased TQ even if it means sacrificing some HP up top.

As for the turbo kits... I can't wait to see one of these in action. I'm curious how a 800 HP V8VTT (yessss) will be able to handle that much power. I'm sure it'll be tons of fun but holy crap I'm already scared of this thing lol

Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
So I guess the natural question at this point is how do you envision the kit in terms of components. I would think that the turbos incorporated with the cats/heads/air filters and tune would being about that xxx factor performance gain. Any idea of price yet and timeframe?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
So I guess the natural question at this point is how do you envision the kit in terms of components. I would think that the turbos incorporated with the cats/heads/air filters and tune would being about that xxx factor performance gain. Any idea of price yet and timeframe?
Headers, Turbos, Downpipes, Wastegates, BOV, Filters, plumbing and Intercooler plus a couple of brackets and bits and pieces to move a line or two. Decat pipes. Option to add Sport cats.

Our Target price is $12,000. May creep up to $12,500 or $13,000 depending on a couple of variables. But I think we're around 90% certainty, have done all the big numbers.

Install is probably 16-18 hours. So I think sub $15,000 installed is a fair expectation. A $40K low miles 2007 Coupe + $15K 600HP Turbo package is a pretty appealing car versus what else $55K would buy you!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Do you think that there would be a remarkable difference in the performance outcome between the 4.3 vs 4.7?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Do you think that there would be a remarkable difference in the performance outcome between the 4.3 vs 4.7?
Starting with another 40BHP, I'd expect it to finish with another 45-50BHP.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo?