Aston Martin Vendor Classifieds vendor classified area...do not post here unless you are a forum sponsor

Supercharger or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Headers, Turbos, Downpipes, Wastegates, BOV, Filters, plumbing and Intercooler plus a couple of brackets and bits and pieces to move a line or two. Decat pipes. Option to add Sport cats.

Our Target price is $12,000. May creep up to $12,500 or $13,000 depending on a couple of variables. But I think we're around 90% certainty, have done all the big numbers.

Install is probably 16-18 hours. So I think sub $15,000 installed is a fair expectation. A $40K low miles 2007 Coupe + $15K 600HP Turbo package is a pretty appealing car versus what else $55K would buy you!
That sounds really promising! Could worth a road trip up to pay you a visit.

Any possibility to reuse existing sport cats?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
CARB compliant?

Any chance it would be CARB approved for install in California vehicles?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cret
That sounds really promising! Could worth a road trip up to pay you a visit.

Any possibility to reuse existing sport cats?
Yes, we are building the downpipe so that it bolts up to the OEM Cat flange location. So if you have sport cats or decats already they will not become redundant.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spikemd
Any chance it would be CARB approved for install in California vehicles?
No, it won't be CARB approved. However, my understanding is that the CARB emissions testing is now a visual inspection for catalysts + monitor readiness. Our NA power kits are not CARB approved but people pass California emissions testing with them. So as long as you had catalysts I don't see why it couldn't pass a test.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
What are you going to do to dispel the heat generated by the turbos?
You will lose a lot of potential HP, if the engine bay gets hotter.

And one last thing, unless you reduce compression, turbos and SC's will kill an engine sooner than if it was an NA. No matter how low set the pressure on the turbo or SC, unless you rebuild with forged internals.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by randyb
What are you going to do to dispel the heat generated by the turbos?
You will lose a lot of potential HP, if the engine bay gets hotter.

And one last thing, unless you reduce compression, turbos and SC's will kill an engine sooner than if it was an NA. No matter how low set the pressure on the turbo or SC, unless you rebuild with forged internals.
For the stage 2 kits, we will be reducing compression. Stage 1 is running about 6psi, which is relatively low boost. Yes, it will reduce engine life, however we believe the serviceable life will still remain in an acceptable range.

Heat is an interesting issue. We have done a couple of things so far that will improve airflow through the engine bay. The V12 is really shoehorned into the V12 Vantage and has far less lateral flow along the side of the engine. So we expect to see better natural dissipation than in the V12. The other thing they did with the V12 is to introduce an extra set of Louvers.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Yes, we are building the downpipe so that it bolts up to the OEM Cat flange location. So if you have sport cats or decats already they will not become redundant.
Stuart- will your velocity headers sold today work for this setup?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Stuart- will your velocity headers sold today work for this setup?
Unfortunately, don't see that happening..As you can see in the pics, the exhaust is being diverted vertically upwards..You would need the turbo headers in the kit..

I think if they were to use the N.A header, that would require a lot more piping = a lot more heat in the engine bay..not worth the savings and cost of extra piping to route.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:26 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by irish07
Unfortunately, don't see that happening..As you can see in the pics, the exhaust is being diverted vertically upwards..You would need the turbo headers in the kit..

I think if they were to use the N.A header, that would require a lot more piping = a lot more heat in the engine bay..not worth the savings and cost of extra piping to route.
Thanks Irish, I do see that now and agree heat needs to stay out of the bay!!

Stuart- love the project and almost makes me want to hold off on installing new headers. Any idea on rough timing for completion. Hate having the car sitting idle!!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Thanks Irish, I do see that now and agree heat needs to stay out of the bay!!

Stuart- love the project and almost makes me want to hold off on installing new headers. Any idea on rough timing for completion. Hate having the car sitting idle!!
I would say we are 4-6 weeks from completing installation on this car. We will be logging IRO 2,000 miles of road testing before sign-off and release.

Once we go into production it's going to take some time to produce kits - at the price point we are aiming for it isn't economical or profitable to make the headers, downpipes etc. 1 or 2 at a time so we have to run off 10-15 at least, which takes some time also.

So realistically, I'd say we are 6 weeks to install completion, 4 weeks to sign-off and another 6 weeks until we'd be ready to ship. So we are probably 4 months away, realistically from delivering orders.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-14-2016, 09:29 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Thanks again for another useful contribution....

1. No it doesn't.
2. +80BHP = 460BHP on a 4.3, so everyone who has a V12V, V12VS, C7 Corvette, any sort of Lamborghini (oh wait, didn't you claim to own one?) Ferrari, etc. has too much power?
Two Lambos, Bicolore and a Performante.

For the Aston vantage platform you don't use FI to make a lot of power. I was trying to help you out Stu, instead you respond inappropriately.

There is no point in going FI on a V8 when you can sell it and get a V12 and do more NA mods on that (for which you sell products for).

I am helping you out Stu, don't be a dick

Old 02-14-2016, 10:42 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Supercharger or Turbo?

This will appeal to some people. If an owner likes the Vantage and owns a 4.3, he may not be able to afford a V12V. There's a pretty huge price difference, I think at least $50k. So if a turbo kit can be had for $15k (still have my doubts about that price point), some will jump on that.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
For the stage 2 kits, we will be reducing compression. Stage 1 is running about 6psi, which is relatively low boost. Yes, it will reduce engine life, however we believe the serviceable life will still remain in an acceptable range.

Heat is an interesting issue. We have done a couple of things so far that will improve airflow through the engine bay. The V12 is really shoehorned into the V12 Vantage and has far less lateral flow along the side of the engine. So we expect to see better natural dissipation than in the V12. The other thing they did with the V12 is to introduce an extra set of Louvers.
Two easy ways to reduce heat, first not very effective stopped or going slow, would be ducting to the hot spots. The other is fans aimed across the turbos towards vents or any opening.

Also, just a thought, but I would wrap your intake ducting and especially the MAF's to reduce the intake air temp, in Canada you probably not as concerned about that, but in hotter parts of the US, that would be a real problem, considering your turbos are right near the intake.

Can't wait to here what your HP nbrs are.
Last question, are you planning on upping the octane to add a little more punch?

Old 02-15-2016, 04:07 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
At this point in my ownership, $12-15K for a nicely done TT kit is doable and is very reasonable considering kits for 370Z's and Mustangs etc are close to that price point $7500-$9K. The car is paid for at this point and only being driven once in a while, a kit lasting 25-30K miles is reasonable! In my opinion......

Old 02-16-2016, 09:20 AM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ArtB
At this point in my ownership, $12-15K for a nicely done TT kit is doable and is very reasonable considering kits for 370Z's and Mustangs etc are close to that price point $7500-$9K. The car is paid for at this point and only being driven once in a while, a kit lasting 25-30K miles is reasonable! In my opinion......
Agree but don't forget to tag on another 5-6k for the clutch and flywheel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo?