6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Considering a Vanquish S? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/119453-considering-vanquish-s.html)

snakeplissken 02-21-2008 10:05 AM

Considering a Vanquish S?

I like my Vantage so much I am considering a used Vanquish S. What do you need to look out for other than service history and possible body damage? Are some years better than others, Did they improve the car over its life cycle? Thanks

pratt 02-21-2008 11:01 AM

you might want to post this question on the amoc forum

HobbsE46 02-21-2008 03:11 PM

Transmission is a pain. Make sure to check it thoroughly:)

invids 02-21-2008 03:16 PM

I have heard that the earlier models have had problems with the suspension..just get throughly checked out before purchasing it..they are monsters

TTM0TION 02-21-2008 03:24 PM

I actually like the vantage looks better than the vanquish. What is it you are looking for? If its just a bit more power and the V12 orchestra I'd say DB9 would be something for you to check out...

rmani 02-22-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by HobbsE46 (Post 1689633)
Transmission is a pain. Make sure to check it thoroughly:)

I assume you mean the F1 style tranny? Didn't vanquish's also come with 6 speeds?

CornersWell 02-22-2008 04:40 PM

Having done my own extensive reviews of Vanq S's, I suppose I can give some advice.

First, any AM needs to be PPI'd by a legitimate, factory dealership. You must get the paperwork from AM regarding the service campaigns and to make sure all recalls/upgrades have been made along the way. And, BTW, ALL parts must be AM parts. Which means if you need a tire, forget calling Tirerack.

Second, extended warranty is the only way I would consider owning an AM, especially a Vanq. However, purchasing the extended warranty is pricey and, worse, all service must be brought up to date before the car is eligible for extended. Then, there is a substantial inspection cost and then the cost of the warranty on top of all this. BTW, every Vanq needs a major service every 3 years. So, make sure the most recent service has been done. That's the starting point for all of this warranty nonsense. And, the catch is that the car cannot have been out of warranty for even a second. If it goes out of warranty, you can only purchase a limited extended warranty, which doesn't cover anywhere near what you'd want covered.

Third, year of the Vanq S is less important because they were mostly all '05's and '06's, IIRC. '06 had the redesigned and nicer (IMO) dash, but, basically, they're the same cars under the bodies.

Fourth, as mentioned, the tranny is the major issue with the Vanq (and S) model. Early on, when the Vanq was introduced, it seems some people treated their Vanq as having an automatic transmission. So, they'd sit on the brake at redlights without putting the gear into neutral. This, not so surprisingly, glazes and burns up the clutch. AM replaced one clutch under warranty without asking, but they were learning that driver error was the real culprit. Put it in neutral when not moving, and you're golden. And, to answer rmani's question, neither the Vanq nor the S were offered with a manual. However, AM Works now offers a factory kit to convert the standard Vanq tranny to a full-blown, clutch-driven manual. At roughly $40K the last time I checked.

Finally, purchase price. Depreciation curves on the Vanq and Vanq S are more like cliffs. The longer you wait, the more you'll save.

Ultimately, I chose not to purchase and am going in a different direction. However, I do love their looks. For reference, I was offered an '05 Vanq S with less than 8K miles on it and probably 20-25K of upgrades for $160K late last year. However, to be on the road under fully extended warranty, I was closer to $200K once it was all done. So, good luck.

CW

snakeplissken 02-22-2008 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by CornersWell (Post 1692169)
Having done my own extensive reviews of Vanq S's, I suppose I can give some advice.

First, any AM needs to be PPI'd by a legitimate, factory dealership. You must get the paperwork from AM regarding the service campaigns and to make sure all recalls/upgrades have been made along the way. And, BTW, ALL parts must be AM parts. Which means if you need a tire, forget calling Tirerack.

Second, extended warranty is the only way I would consider owning an AM, especially a Vanq. However, purchasing the extended warranty is pricey and, worse, all service must be brought up to date before the car is eligible for extended. Then, there is a substantial inspection cost and then the cost of the warranty on top of all this. BTW, every Vanq needs a major service every 3 years. So, make sure the most recent service has been done. That's the starting point for all of this warranty nonsense. And, the catch is that the car cannot have been out of warranty for even a second. If it goes out of warranty, you can only purchase a limited extended warranty, which doesn't cover anywhere near what you'd want covered.

Third, year of the Vanq S is less important because they were mostly all '05's and '06's, IIRC. '06 had the redesigned and nicer (IMO) dash, but, basically, they're the same cars under the bodies.

Fourth, as mentioned, the tranny is the major issue with the Vanq (and S) model. Early on, when the Vanq was introduced, it seems some people treated their Vanq as having an automatic transmission. So, they'd sit on the brake at redlights without putting the gear into neutral. This, not so surprisingly, glazes and burns up the clutch. AM replaced one clutch under warranty without asking, but they were learning that driver error was the real culprit. Put it in neutral when not moving, and you're golden. And, to answer rmani's question, neither the Vanq nor the S were offered with a manual. However, AM Works now offers a factory kit to convert the standard Vanq tranny to a full-blown, clutch-driven manual. At roughly $40K the last time I checked.

Finally, purchase price. Depreciation curves on the Vanq and Vanq S are more like cliffs. The longer you wait, the more you'll save.

Ultimately, I chose not to purchase and am going in a different direction. However, I do love their looks. For reference, I was offered an '05 Vanq S with less than 8K miles on it and probably 20-25K of upgrades for $160K late last year. However, to be on the road under fully extended warranty, I was closer to $200K once it was all done. So, good luck.

CW

Thanks for the info. I am now considering a new DBS. Is the vanquish body style dated? Anyone have any thoughts on the DBS and Vanquish S comparison?

Moogle 02-22-2008 08:27 PM

The Vanq S you previously wanted is half the price of the DBS... :rolleyes:

DBS is mostly sold out, might be hard to find one without waiting.

Not a true replacement for the Vanq, yet better in every way. Will hold the crown as the top aston until they decide to make a real Vanq successor.

Michael 996TT 02-23-2008 07:42 AM

Get it all - place an order for the V12 Vantage ... or they might call it Vantage RS ... whatever the name a absolute killer car.

CornersWell 02-23-2008 07:48 AM

I think you can pretty much forget about going to the local AM dealer and plunking down a big wad of dough for a DBS. Reports indicate the run is sold out for at least the next 3 years. Possibly longer by now. Now, if economic conditions should change...

Anyway, the DBS is being offered only to existing AM owners. Usually, this means the Vanq/Vanq S owners, but I suppose a few DB9 owners were included.

Also, the Vanq replacement is slotted for '09. Once that hits the streets, prices of all previous Vanqs will likely have additional downward pressure. Oh, the prior Vanq (and S) were the last of the "hand-built" AMs. Newport Pagnell has changed their production lines quite a bit for the DB9 and on.

CW

snakeplissken 02-23-2008 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by CornersWell (Post 1693207)
I think you can pretty much forget about going to the local AM dealer and plunking down a big wad of dough for a DBS. Reports indicate the run is sold out for at least the next 3 years. Possibly longer by now. Now, if economic conditions should change...

Anyway, the DBS is being offered only to existing AM owners. Usually, this means the Vanq/Vanq S owners, but I suppose a few DB9 owners were included.

Also, the Vanq replacement is slotted for '09. Once that hits the streets, prices of all previous Vanqs will likely have additional downward pressure. Oh, the prior Vanq (and S) were the last of the "hand-built" AMs. Newport Pagnell has changed their production lines quite a bit for the DB9 and on.

CW

I can get one of the first DBS's with the sport shift, which is probably a year or more away. My understanding is that there will be no Vanquish replacement. There will be a limited production RS vantage(600HP) and a very limited supercar(700HP) in the future. The DBS will depreciate faster than a used vanquish S without question. The DBS will be the top of the line AM and it looks Great.

CornersWell 02-23-2008 08:05 PM

My information can always be superceded. If your dealer is telling you something different about the Vanq replacement, who knows which dealer is telling the truth. I have to admit that I've drifted away from amoc.org after passing on the Vanq: once you make a decision, you need to stick to it. They would likely even have better information than the dealers themselves.

Regardless, if you can get a DBS, it looks like a very interesting car. I understand that pricing will be very high (higher than the Vanq S) around the 285-300 range. Big numbers for a hotted up DB9, IMO. However, I do like the aggressive look of the car. By then, they should also have sorted the teething problems.

Best,

CW

snakeplissken 02-23-2008 08:20 PM

I am also hearing that they will make 1000 DBS's in the first year instead of 500.

renntech36 02-27-2008 08:41 AM

had a Vanquish S and loved it. Did have a transmission light on the dash all the time though :(