6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   New 08 Vantage or 06 DB9 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/139734-new-08-vantage-06-db9.html)

jr_spyder 08-05-2008 09:53 AM

New 08 Vantage or 06 DB9

Hello all,

I'm just about to buy my first Aston Martin and have the delightfully agonizing choice of a new 08 Vantage or an 06 DB9 with only 2200 miles. Both are drop tops, both have manual transmissions, and remarkably both are about the same price after a lot of negotiating and with my trade (and 04 Jag XKR coupe).

Both are available now, so neither one has exactly the configuration I would have if I built it myself. In fact I see this purchase as a stop gap to ordering and getting delivery of an 09 Vantage in the spring of next year. The performance specs of that car have me much more excited than the drive of the current Vantage which I find slightly under powered. The DB9, on the other hand, has power to spare, and certainly has no shortage of thrills to drive.

Weighing the pros and cons I could go either way so I thought I'd ask this group and hoping for some lively debate/advice.

What to do?

Thanks,

JR

mja 996TT 08-05-2008 08:37 PM

nice problem to have; IMHO, I would go with the DB9

good luck hilarious

jaymoney 08-05-2008 09:31 PM

From one who knows. I was faced with a similar decision in May. The Vantage handles better, is sportier and generally more reliable. The DB9 appears to be more executive. However, no one looks at a Vantage as the little Aston or a step down. Most peolpe don't know the difference at a glance. The DB9 is much more of a GT car. If you like driving curvy roads and great balance, you will love the Vantage. If you're looking to valet at a restaurant or Neimans on saturdays, get the DB9. Keep this in mind, in the future, the DB9 will get sportier and become more of a sports car, look at the DBS. The Vantage is the template for that more powerful platform.

Speedshaq 08-06-2008 02:21 AM

vantage

Michael 996TT 08-06-2008 07:35 AM

Get the Vantage ... then drop some 200 cell cats, Quicksilver Exhaust & a little ECU fun (all can be had from HZ@RSC) and you will not need a stop gap to the 2009.

lawin 08-06-2008 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jaymoney (Post 1984976)
From one who knows. I was faced with a similar decision in May. The Vantage handles better, is sportier and generally more reliable. The DB9 appears to be more executive. However, no one looks at a Vantage as the little Aston or a step down. Most peolpe don't know the difference at a glance. The DB9 is much more of a GT car. If you like driving curvy roads and great balance, you will love the Vantage. If you're looking to valet at a restaurant or Neimans on saturdays, get the DB9. Keep this in mind, in the future, the DB9 will get sportier and become more of a sports car, look at the DBS. The Vantage is the template for that more powerful platform.

i am not sure what you mean by sportiness, but around a track the vantage cannot keep up with a db9. this is based upon aston martin track days. also, a db9 is only 100 pounds heavier than a vantage with a heap of horsepower to more than compensate for the marginal weight difference. also, the 100 pound difference isn't going to affect handling much which puts the db9 handling right on par with the vantage. this makes the vantage as much of a gt car as a db9 as neither was designed to rip it up at the track. can they do this? yes, but its intentions were meant for the road. these comments are based upon non sports pack db9 cars. with the sports pack suspension it widens the gap even further at the track.

your reliability comment is unfair as both cars have not been out long. we all run volvo electronics and i am unaware of any drive terrain issues on any aston at all.

a vantage is a step down from a db9, no if ands or buts. if you want to argue the point send an email to aston martin's marketing department and take it up with them. do i love the vantage? you bet i do, but to justify it by saying most people cant tell the difference is absurd. thats like saying someone should buy a 325 bmw rather than an m3 because most people wont know the difference by a glance. i am not writing this to be condescending, it is simply another perspective for the op to consider.

fyi, the db9 is the first chassis to use the aluminum bonded body frame and it is the "template" for the future of aston martins "sports" cars. :p

imo, you can't go wrong with either car. i chose a db9 because the power is intoxicating and you will never get tired of it. i wouldn't have bought it if it didnt have a 6 speed and a sports pack. if you do end up getting a db9 be sure to retrofit the sports pack springs. if you choose the vantage i am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it, but just imagine what you will think when you pull up next to a db9 :D

Michael 996TT 08-07-2008 06:04 AM

I love these threads - they bring out wonderful personal opinion which is great because they show passion for our cars and brand. Personally - I would love to run my Vantage against a DB9 down here on the Sebring track. It is a long course w/ some good high speed areas and some nice twisty bits - that should give the DB9 an adVantage (get the pun). I truely think my Vantage will have a faster lap time! Of course we will not actually know until I can find someone w/ a DB9 that will come on out and enjoy a day (PCA events seem to be the best way to get out there). That is the one issue w/ the AMOC - I have only seen one event and it is in Conn. @ Lime Rock (sounds great but about an hour of track time, just is not worth the trip). The AMOC in the SE is quite lame - I hope that is not the case in the rest of the country - time to vote some new leadership into positions IMHO. AM hosted a great day at Sebring - only brought the Vantage to drive - it was when they were first introduced on the market. But I am way off subject here ...

As "lawin" says - they are both great cars - slightly different - which is a good thing - and what a nice choice to have to make ! Take a look at the DBS/Vantage drag race thread - interesting result. AND what do I image if I pull up to a DB9 w/ my Vantage - your butt is a foot to long - let's race ! Good luck on your choice ....

Chris@PerformanceOutfitters 08-07-2008 07:18 AM

I personally like the look of the DB9 better because IMO it looks more elegant and has the v12. Either way you cant go wrong, but I would choose the DB9.

stearnsn 08-07-2008 12:04 PM

I was at the dealer yesterday and saw several side-by-side (Vantages and DB9s) and I like the more muscular looks of the Vantage hand's down. The DB9 looks more elegant and refined from the side (not the rear) if that is what you are looking for but the Vantage looks more like a sports car. The V12 is tough to argue with though. The rear seats are in the DB9 are very 911ish, that is worthless. I always left them folded down in my 911's but I don't think you can do that in a DB9.

I also got to see a white DBS up close...very nice.

stearnsn 08-07-2008 12:05 PM

Michael, is your ECU work complete yet? My springs have not arrived yet. (ordered 6 weeks ago).

mojottx50 08-07-2008 02:19 PM

i would go with db9 all the way... a

MAX445 08-07-2008 05:57 PM

DB9 for sure

paragongja 08-07-2008 07:56 PM

New vehicle will give you the better warranty. 3 years from the date of purchase. Something to think about.

astonboy 08-12-2008 11:11 AM

New Vantage is the better choice IMHO

Centurion 08-12-2008 01:37 PM

Difficult choice.
IMHO the V8 Vantage design is nicer, especially the headlights. Inside the DB9 feels roomier.
I went with the DB9 myself because of the V12 engine.